Remmington 783
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remmington 783

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Default Remmington 783

So what's your take on the new 783? I heard they are an attempt to make a rifle that has the reliability of a 700 but a better price tag. I was at wally world the other day and they had one for around $380. So it is more than a 770 but obviously less than a 700.

Does anyone have one yet? Are they clunky like a 770 or are they nice like a 700?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
So what's your take on the new 783? I heard they are an attempt to make a rifle that has the reliability of a 700 but a better price tag. I was at wally world the other day and they had one for around $380. So it is more than a 770 but obviously less than a 700.

Does anyone have one yet? Are they clunky like a 770 or are they nice like a 700?
maybe Chloeshooter will step in and give some input. IIRC he has one.

from what i'm seeing in reviews so far, they are looking pretty decent a rifle for the price.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I would only buy the premier line of any brand of rifle. Any of the lower/entry lines are going to be a far less quality product,with less accuracy built into them.
They are cheaper for a reason,and it's not for the customer's sake!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I've had mine in 30-06 for over a year now and I love it. If your using it as a hunting rifle you will not be disappointed. I haven't had mine out past 200yrds so I can't say anything about holding tight groups at long distances. I have around 200rds through mine and the gun is just as smooth as the day I bought it. I talked my brother into buying one and he sold it a couple months later calming it wouldn't hold any kind of grouping. I told him he was wrong and he needed to replace his walmart scope with something decent. He said I was wrong but this passed weekend he got to shoot mine and now he regrets selling his. Mine is picky about factory ammo. I shot that federal deer thug 180g and it didn't want to eject it. I have never and any problems with the Remington core-lokt. My opinion is for the money it's worth it and ten times better quality then the 770.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey foot2400, hunting is what it will be used for. Do you think it is better when compared to a Savage axis2? I am looking for a budget American made 30-06 for a deer/boar/elk gun. My father in-law picked up a Savage Axis and it seems nice. The only thing I did not like about it was how cheap the stock felt. Is the stock on the 783 a little better?

I will most likely not be making any crazy shots with it either, 300 yards max. I just do not want to bang up my nicer rifles while out in the woods. There is no way I would get a 770, and I was saving up for something like a Ruger Hawkeye, but with all of these new base rifles coming out and getting good reviews I am thinking one of these.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I have had one since last summer in .270. Here is a range report:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-783-day-1-range-report-95766/

It was purchased as an inexpensive 'extra' rifle to have as a back up, extra member of a hunting party etc. I selected it over the comparably prices Savage and Ruger American and found it to have the most solid stock and also by far the best magazine / attachment system (which matters to me in the field a lot). At 100 yards I have shot a 3/8 inch group using factory ammo. I am sure the Savage and Ruger would do just as well, like I said, the 783 has a much more solid feel.

While my main hunting rifle remains my Remington 700 (we have history together), I would not hesitate to use the 783.

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the link and write up chloeshooter. I think that made my mind up! I want a stock that feels solid and I too care how a magazine is manufactured while in the field. This rifle will be a nice one to have for going in the woods and not worrying.

--George Washington

Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #8

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I would only buy the premier line of any brand of rifle. Any of the lower/entry lines are going to be a far less quality product,with less accuracy built into them.
They are cheaper for a reason,and it's not for the customer's sake!
I disagree. Yes, they might not be as accurate as the premier lines. But they're probably still more accurate than the average shooter. My XL7 is plenty accurate for what I'm going to use it for, and I'm sure Axxe would say the same.

Also, I believe that the only reason they are cheaper is for the customer's sake. They allow people to get into this great sport without spending $1000 on rifle + scope. It's good for both the customer and the manufacturer.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Colmustard, I can't really say anything about a savage because I haven't shot one yet. I did like the way they felt when I was shopping for a rifle and the bolt seemed to feel very smooth. But 783 like stated above is a solid and accurate rifle. I'm hoping they keep the good reviews going. Make sure you let us know what you decide to get and why.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok update I picked one up and put a redfield 4x12 revolution scope on it. Took it out that day and must say I am impressed with it for the price. Trigger is very nice, action could be smoother but it is new and I think it will smooth out, stock feels much more solid when compared to the savage axis. So all in all it is very nice and should prove to be a nice hunting rifle. I will do a range report on it and the scope together sometime soon. Thanks for all the help in picking it all!

--George Washington

People Like This