Reminton Model 770 Scope included - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Reminton Model 770 Scope included

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

again russ if you are happy with it, more power to you. but 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and 3 1/2" groups at 300 wouldn't satisfy me in the least. i get 1/2" or less size groups from any of my bolt action rifles at 100 yards with handloads. i am not a sniper, nor am i a master gunsmith, but i have spent many an hour behind the trigger of my rifles over the years. i have an assortment of remington M700 and marlin X7 rifles, in various calibers. the M770 that i owned couldn't meet my expectations, nor do i believe any in the future can either. when the marlin X7 can be bought for as much or cheaper than the 770 and is built better, more accurate, much nicer looking, why buy the 770? my experiance with the 770 isn't just limited to the one i have owned, but severl others in different calibers. so if you are happy with the 770, then by all means enjoy it.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #42
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1982 View Post
I must apologize for giving my opinion of my experience with this firearm. I am obviously in the majority. I get 3-3 1/2 Inch groups out of mine at 300 and about 1 1/2 inch groups at 100. Now I know all of you are marine snipers who scoff at such abysmal accuracy but for me that's about as good as I get with my savage 110 so I assume it's not bad for a rifle that you seem to think would be better used as a door stop. I must say that the trigger does have some creep to it but it's not bad. Again for a cheap entry level gun I don't think this is a bad buy. Obviously I am wrong according to all of the marine snipers who are also master level gunsmiths. Who knows maybe Remington has a conspiracy going where they purposely put out 1000 bad guns to every 1 good gun. Hmmmm

Now that's pretty funny!

Russ if your getting good performance out of a 770,and are happy with it,then great.
I wasn't trying to say that the gun won't shoot,but that specific model of Remington is known for having major problems,and isn't a gun that many people would buy knowing about them.
There are many budget minded rifles on the market that surpass the quality of the 770,and don't have the inherent problems that these rifles have been known for.

I've never been a Marine sniper,nor am I a master gunsmith,but I do shoot very good and have been doing it for 40 years plus reloading for around 30 years.
There's nothing wrong with being happy with shooting the groups you stated,and I'd say-"Good Shooting" to you.But there are a lot of guy's here and else where that really work on mastering handloads to our guns,and if we don't shoot tiny groups we're not happy with them,but most are purpose built guns/loads.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #43

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

Now that's pretty funny!

Russ if your getting good performance out of a 770,and are happy with it,then great.
I wasn't trying to say that the gun won't shoot,but that specific model of Remington is known for having major problems,and isn't a gun that many people would buy knowing about them.
There are many budget minded rifles on the market that surpass the quality of the 770,and don't have the inherent problems that these rifles have been known for.

I've never been a Marine sniper,nor am I a master gunsmith,but I do shoot very good and have been doing it for 40 years plus reloading for around 30 years.
There's nothing wrong with being happy with shooting the groups you stated,and I'd say-"Good Shooting" to you.But there are a lot of guy's here and else where that really work on mastering handloads to our guns,and if we don't shoot tiny groups we're not happy with them,but most are purpose built guns/loads.
I WAS a marine platoon sniper and i AM a gunsmith-not a master by any means. I have several rifles that are factory that are capable of that classic ace of clubs group at 300 yards w the right ammo and me doin my part. My warbird build will put 5 rounds through the same hole the size of a quarter at 250 yards. So ya your groups are pretty impressive for the 770. So as tex said if it suits your needs good shootin but most of us have guns that will quite literally shoot holes INSIDE your groups at almost any range you want to shoot.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #44

i will state this, any of my bolt action rifles that could only achieve a 1 1/2" group at a 100 yards, would be gone very quickly as that just isn't acceptable to me in my rifles. i expect accuracy, and i achieve accuracy, period. i do a lot of reloading for my rifles and work on loads that can deliver the level of accuracy i expect. most weekends that i am able to do some target shooting, i will shoot more than most hunters do all year long, but i am more of a target shooter than a hunter. so i do expect a lot from my rifles in regard to accuracy, and performance and when a rifle just doesn't meet those expectations, then i get rid of it, and find another one to try out. i have my preferences when it comes to brands, and thus so far, the Marlin X7 series of bolt action rifles, outshine many rifles, even some that are priced higher than it. the Savage Axis series, also a very accurate rifle and very attractively priced, the Mossberg ATR, very accurate but the stock just doesn't absorb recoil well, but for a hunting rifle, very decently priced and makes a fine hunting rifle. there are others also.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #45

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobson View Post
Ok,
Sold the 770 for $50.00 less than I paid. Used the money (and a little more) for a Winchester 94 cal. 30-30... I been wanting one for my collection for a while.
Thanks for all the input! I knew mine was junk but, thought maybe I bought a lemon. ALL 770 ARE LEMONS!
You will never go wrong with a Model 94. If ever a rifle has proven itself with the test of time, this one has. Good choice.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #46

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I remember hearing these same type of negative comments about my Remington 788. I was told it would never shoot with much accuracy because of its design. It has the forward-locking lugs on the bolt and I had the model with the short barrel.. At first it did not shoot very well with factory ammo. After I learned how to shoot my rifle and developed some loads for it I started shooting dime-sized groups at 100 yards.

It is a new rifle for this guy so there are variables to consider. Becoming familiar with the rifle and trying different ammunition might change the shooting results. Keeping the barrel clean is important for every rifle. It is his money and his rifle.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #47

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

By the way, I'm not a sniper either but, I to have spent many a day behind the barrel. Mostly pointed at other men in Afghanistan but probably as many deer too... I've shot about everything and just wasn't happy with the 770 so I started the thread but, anyone that owns any gun for good reasons (all that the 2nd amendment protect is worthy of their opinion). If people out there like the 770 then I say own 5!
Thanks for all the comments...

Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 196

i think for their purpose the 770s do what they are suppose to do. if you need a rifle and between the range and field and the rifles goes out 6 to 8 times a year the 770 might be for you. or perhaps you need a loaner.. i have seen alot of theses shoot guys they will kill a deer! shooting matches? no. a looker ? no. i just think for the money there are better choices the marlin the stevens 200 but to each his own

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by godale View Post
i think for their purpose the 770s do what they are suppose to do. if you need a rifle and between the range and field and the rifles goes out 6 to 8 times a year the 770 might be for you. or perhaps you need a loaner.. i have seen alot of theses shoot guys they will kill a deer! shooting matches? no. a looker ? no. i just think for the money there are better choices the marlin the stevens 200 but to each his own
that is pretty much what it's intended purpose was designed as from Remington. but IMO, after owning one, it fell way short. i have gone back to the Remington M700's as i can work them into a way nicer and more accurate rifle. have also since then added several Marlin X7 series of rifles to my collection and can attest to their superior accuracy and construction over the M770. have shot several of the Savage Axis series of rifles, very accurate and well made, but i don't like the ergonomics of it as well as the Marlin. the Mossberg ATR is a very accurate rifle and makes a good hunting rifle, but not so great as the stock doesn't absorb the recoil as well as some of the others. you can rig out a Savage Axis, Mossberg ATR, or the Marlin X7 with a decent scope and have a fine hunting rifle for about $600, about the same as the M770 and still have a much better hunting rig.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 196

one good choice for people who want a remmy is the model 700 adl. this is a good rifle for the dollar