Remington Rolling Block
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington Rolling Block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington Rolling Block

I just picked up an rusty Remington Rolling Block rifle at a garage sale. It was actually made into a lamp. I freed the rifle from its terrible fate. I have cleaned and cleaned and actually got the the hammer,trigger and block in good working order. The rifling looks great. The wood stock has the # 534 stamped on it and what appears to be someones intials carved in the other side of the stock. After putting calipers on the barrel I believe it to be .430 caliber. From what I can find on the net these were exported by Remington. PLease enlighten me with any information you may have on theis rifle. It feels great against my shoulder. Very east to hold your aim.

remington-rolling-block-003-14-.jpg   remington-rolling-block-012-12-.jpg  

Last edited by ScotZ; 12-29-2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add pics

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They are sturdy rifles that were darnnear soldier proof. They made roughly 1 million of these for about 50 different countries. Back then, almost every country wanted their own chambering, so there were probably 40 different chamberings, all in the .43-.45 caliber range. If you can post some clear pics and list all of the markings you can find, I'll try and narrow down what this one may be.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
They are sturdy rifles that were darnnear soldier proof. They made roughly 1 million of these for about 50 different countries. Back then, almost every country wanted their own chambering, so there were probably 40 different chamberings, all in the .43-.45 caliber range. If you can post some clear pics and list all of the markings you can find, I'll try and narrow down what this one may be.
Thanks for your offer of help. I will take anythinhg I can get. The only markings on the gun that I could see were mentioned in my first post. The bluing (if there ever was any) is completely gone. I have many many many hours with gun oil and 0000 steel wool. I got the gun looking as good as I could. I will post a few pics that I have of before and after. Thats the best I can do. Are there any particular pics you would want me to take?
remington-rolling-block-003-14-.jpg  

Last edited by ScotZ; 12-29-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #4

I am having trouble loading pics for some reason. Two pics exceed my limit

remington-rolling-block-012-12-.jpg  

Last edited by ScotZ; 12-29-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Clear pics showing the rear sight and the front-most portion of the stock & muzzle would be good. Also an overall pic would be good. Also:

Carefully measure the barrel length.
What markings are on the rear sight (western numerals or Arabic)?
Does it have a bayonet bar on the side of the barrel?
If no bayonet bar, measure the outside diameter of the barrel an inch back from the muzzle with a caliper.

I dunno if we can identify it exactly with all of the original markings gone, but we can probably narrow it down some.

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
Clear pics showing the rear sight and the front-most portion of the stock & muzzle would be good. Also an overall pic would be good. Also:

Carefully measure the barrel length. including chamber 35", not including chamber 33 1/2 "

What markings are on the rear sight (western numerals or Arabic)? The only marking that is on the rear sight is a zero (western?)

Does it have a bayonet bar on the side of the barrel? Yes

If no bayonet bar, measure the outside diameter of the barrel an inch back from the muzzle with a caliper.

I dunno if we can identify it exactly with all of the original markings gone, but we can probably narrow it down some.

Thank you for your time and effort

Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your rifle is from the Egyptian contract. Only the Argentine, Danish, Egyptian, and Spanish Civil Guard rolling block rifles are documented to have used a saber bayonet (which required the bayonet bar). The others all used a socket bayonet that engaged with the front sight base. We can rule out Argentine, because they had an octagonal barrel section near the receiver (yours is round). The barrel length on yours is also consistent with the Egyptian contract (Argies and Danes had 34 inch tubes). Spanish Civil Guard RB rifles are pretty scarce, so I feel safe that yours is Egyptian.

There were actually two production runs of the Egyptian contract. The initial batch was produced in 1869-70 (the Egyptian nomenclature designates the rolling block as the M1867). France saw war with the Prussians coming and was desperate for weapons, so arranged for Egypt to default on their contract so Remington could ship the rifles to France in time to serve in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. Remington subsequently produced another run of Egyptian rifles, for Egypt, which was completed by about 1875. The bayonet used with the Egyptian rifles was a clone of the French M1866 Chassepot design. You can see pics of an Egyptian M1867 bayonet by clicking on this link to the Egypt Page of my bayonet site.

Egyptian rolling block rifles were imported to the USA in large quantities during the 1960s and sold very cheaply into the early 1980s. Most were in appalling condition, having seen a great deal of service. The Egyptian rifles probably saw more combat than any other rolling block, even more than the Spanish rifles.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotZ View Post
I am having trouble loading pics for some reason. Two pics exceed my limit
Lemme know what you need Scot. Email anything you want posted to me over at JF and I'll get it up over here for you.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Lemme know what you need Scot. Email anything you want posted to me over at JF and I'll get it up over here for you.

Thanks Matt. I am going to upload a few pics of the front of the barrel and the rear sights. If I have any trouble ,I will let you know...Thanks again

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

Pics of the bayonet lug,rear sight and hammer and block... Well its up to you Matt.