Remington quality? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have to agree with tango on this, You are probably alright with their higher end stuff. I have a VLS and I am very happy with it, if I were to look for a new rifle in the $300 to $800 range I would certainly look at Remington, but would probably buy something else.( At least that is what has been happening with me lately). The trigger thing was obviously anti-gun generated, I have never personally had a problem with Rem 700 triggers. I have owned and used a 700 BDL and other Rems since 1983 without any issues. As to Cerberus investing in new firearms equipment etc. for Remington and other firearm companies they own I hope this is true. Other companies owned by Cerberus have not been so lucky. My two cents.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never gone wrong with Remington rifles and shotguns. I recently bought two of their new 1911 R1 handguns and they are excellent quality--steel construction, cycle with no jamming problems and shoots straight.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I bought a basic Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 in 1997 and never had a problem with it. It even grouped around one inch with CoreLokt 150gr ammunition. This year I traded it in toward a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08, which turned out to have a headspace issue. To their credit, Remington sent a box with shipping label and repaired the rifle at no cost to me in under three weeks. I have yet to go to the range again to make sure it is functioning properly.

Based on my limited experience with Remington rifles from different eras, Remington has let their quality slip. I am, however, still rooting for the company to get their act in gear and rebuild their reputation. I even bought a Rem 597 .22.

If my Model Seven gives me any problems when I go to the range next, I shall swear off the brand and replace it with a Thompson Center.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #14

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bought my wife a Remington 700 in .270. Not one issue with it, accurate, reliable and quite happy with it.
I realize every company makes a lemon now and then.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Remington produces MILLIONS of guns a year...your gonna get a couple duds due to shear numbers. Buy with confidence!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21298 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

from my personal viewpiont and experiance, i like most of remingtons firearms. i own several remington M700's in different calibers and am very happy with them. i just bought a M700 action from brownells to have barreled, with a custom barrel. brand new with no ISS! that being said, a few years ago i bought a new M770 in 30-06, worst piece of junk i have ever owned. i sold it for a lot less than i gave, and was glad to, just to get rid of it. IMO, if you buy aremington buy the upper grades as i think they take too many shortcuts on the lower grades to be able to make a profit.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #17

Liked 702 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 46

My gun safe has a good number of Remingtons in it. My favorite gun of all time is my 18 year old 870 that has had a $hit ton of shells through it and put down more clay pigeons than I could guess on, 8 turkey, 2 deer, and again more squirrels than I could guess. I have the first model year wing master from grandpa and several in between. Everyone looks brand new and I've never had so much as a jam out of a single one.
Ruger and Remington are at about a dead tie for quality in my book.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A custom action maker told me to get a 700 SPS varmint vs Howa, and Savage. The only Savage he recommended was the F-class in 6BR. Nobody else can touch it for the price. I want a LH rifle so the Howa is out anyhow. He didn't recommend spending extra money on a different 700 stock and that most shooters either don't know how to evaluate factory ammo or can't shoot well enough to judge. I think there is a lot of truth in that. He could have suggested another make but didn't.

Last edited by ba_50; 09-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #19

Likes Given: 1

I feel I can be adequately objective on this topic. I have 2 Remington 700's, and have owned 1 other one. I bought a 700 BDL 270 in 1996, a 700 SPS 7mm Rem Mag in 2005, recently sold that and bought a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag that I shot for the first time yesterday. Yes, I will agree, the SPS stock is not an optimal stock. If you want an optimal stock, then pay the money for it. You are getting what you pay for. With that said, it is a fine stock if you are a casual shooter in my opinion. The Sendero, I only have one word for it, awesome. I have not shot it much yet, but I don't see us having any troubles getting along from what I've experienced thus far.

I do know that I have talked to other people about other stocks from other gun makers and the opinion I gathered was kinda the same for all of them. The stocks on all these cheaper guns are cheap. That is one of the main places of cutting cost. Same actions, triggers, and in some cases, same barrels.

If you were looking for something that would be kinda cool, take an SPS, put a nice HS or Bell Carlson stock on it, and you will have the best of both worlds. I have seen a couple guys put pics on here of them and they look like a real nice gun and would shoot well.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

A quick follow-up to my original post...

Remington returned my Model Seven and the head space problem has been repaired. The rifle still has problems chambering a round from the magazine (though that may be due to the range requirement that only one round be loaded at a time) and the bolt has so much play that it can bind if you are not careful when cycling it. The rifle will shoot around one inch groups if you let the barrel cool between rounds.

I bought a Rem 597 and took it to the range. On the third shot it threw off the ejection plunger and stopped functioning. Their service rep simply sent a new bolt assembly for me to install myself, They did not offer to make the repair and they did not want to see the failed bolt to perform an engineering evaluation and learn from their mistakes.

I made several calls, penetrated the bureaucracy, and found the Remington Director of Service Operations. I wrote him an email stating that I used to be a loyal Remington customer and described my recent problems with his firm's products. He never responded, and that speaks volumes.

It is too late to switch rifles before opening day of deer season, but in November I am trading in my Model Seven for a Thompson Center Venture.