Remington quality?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington quality?

I have owned a few Remington shotguns, all bought at least 7 years ago. Lately, the last 2 years or so, i have read several reviews on remington's shotguns and their poor quality, and poor quality control ontop of a couple re-calls on newly released guns. I have not come across to many remington fans lately.

I have been a remington fan for years. I am in the market for a new rifle and considering a Model 700. I am a bit sceptical on buying a Remington product these days. What are your opinions on Remington rifles? I am looking at all the major brands in 30-06, Browning, Rugar, Tikka, Winchester...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

I have been a Remington fan for years too and still am. I buy a fair amount of Remington products a year for myself and others (mostly 700 rifles and 870 shotguns) and have had 0 problems atributable to Quaiity Control. I would buy a 700 tomorrow without any reservations at all...

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

remington quality is taking a big nose dive in many product lines. usually the lower end stuff stay away from. i have a remington 700 xcr compact in 308 it is of recent manufacture and very high quality. but i wouldnt buy one sight unseen.

remington atm is on a quality downswing and until they stop out sourcing i would be hesitant to buy one without putting eyes on it. the higher end product lines seem to be fine but again inspect before you buy.

your prolly better off looking at savage
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

FANBOY right here.

I love Remington and have always loved the 700.

That being said once they were taken over by cherrybus they were in the hole and worth nothing. Cherrybus is an investment corp. They buy floundering companies and trim them down streamline things and make them profitable then sell them for a big profit. These people to reduce cost cut corners on many things. Bottom metal is not POT metal. The stocks are just JUNK on anything with an SPS on the end of it and many others.

If you buy a CDL, VLS, VSSF II of one along that line you are going to get a decent rifle with decent fit and finish. You are also going to spend $700+ on a rifle that is the same quality as a HOWA which you can get for $350 to $500...

Savage is also a good choice as is CZ, Tikka and others.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I agree with Tango's assessment. Remington USED to be a fine firearms company.

Now they are an EXCELLENT marketing company that also makes firearms of varying degrees of "good''.

For a boltgun I would look at the Howa, the Weatherby Vanguard ( which is the same as a Howa imported by Weatherby with a couple of differences ) or a CZ.

Unfortunate to say but the "American Made" Remington Rifle is no longer made with all US parts, nor is it the same quality ball park as their rifles produced before Remington became a footnote in Cerebus' Investment Catalog.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3277 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

MAX

I will start by saying there are a lot of fine rifles out there.
But I have and still like the Remington's. Two years ago I purchased a new Remington 700 CDL in Rem. 7mm Mag. I did take it to the Remington Service Shop and have them do a 3.5 pound trigger job on it. I am a Remington Armorer also but since the gun was brand new I had the pros do it. I will say that it is the most accurate skinny barreled hunting rifle I own. With the 150 Grain Remington Accutip it will group three rounds at .461 at 100 yards. That is plenty good enough for me. Some of my bull barrels do not shoot much better. Anyway I think the guys hit the nail on the head. If you by one that is not the top of the line you obviously are possibly sacrificing some quality. That makes perfect logical sense. If a company cuts things on the rifle to cut the cost one could expect a difference. I believe if you stay at the top of the line with any manufacturer you will in all probability get a good rifle.
No hesitation here buying a good quality Remington. A lot of the bad press regarding the triggers came from the anti gunners and MSNBC Imagine that!
Not that it couldn't happen but is simply a trigger adjustment if it does. One should have shot his or her rifle enough to realize there is a problem if there were to be one!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

From everything I found or read the triggers that had problems were all "Adjusted by owners". Yes Remingtons triggers can be adjusted by the owner there are instructions all over the web. The thing is you have to know what you are doing and you have to do your homework. You need to make sure things are safe and many people don't.

When I adjusted mine it was 13# from the factory sorry on a varmint rifle your lucky I set it to 2# that is way to heavy for me on a varmint rifle. I wanted it as light as I could get it with out it being unsafe. What I did was adjust it down to where I really wanted it. Then I would put the gun back in the stock and drop it on the butt from about 8 to 12 inches controlling it the whole time. If the trigger fired it was to light. I adjust it and did this till I got it as light as I could with out it firing from an 8 to 12" drop on the but. It was set at 2# that was light for that trigger it felt like it had gravel or metal shavings in it.

I ended up replacing it with a timney it is now set to 1# and it breaks like glass.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I totally agree with '03 and Tango. Everything about Remington Factory triggers was end user caused and SHOULD NOT be of buying concern.

I can't not assign any blame to Remington for the reports of the "accidental discharges" or the "firing by itself" claims. And this comes from someone who is not a Remington fanboy.

JD

Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Ok I figured I would ask someone that deals with Remington a lot. My buddy works for a big box outdoors store that sells more Remingtons in one week than most folks will handle in a lifetime. I asked him how many Remingtons has he had come back for warantee repair in the last 6 months.

His answer was ONE. And it was caused by a dope running steel shot through the full choke of his new 870. He did get three shots out before it bulged and peeled back like a banana. Even though it was operator error Remington fixed it no charge...

My last Remington purchase was the low a low end .223 SPS Varmint. Took it out of the crappy stock it came in and bedded it to an HS Precision I had laying around. It is a consistent .5 MOA shooter with .45 HP UMC cheap bulk ammo. Don't know how good it would actually get if I ever decided to reload for it... Just saying...

Oh BTW Cerberus is run by some of the most conservative folks in the world. The CEO is George Bush's ex-Secretary of the Tresury, John Snow and the corporate spokesperson is Dan Quayle. They have combined all their Firearms business acquisitions into a company called Freedom Group and are in the process of investing boatloads of capital in tooling, marketing, and in general updating these companies so they can move into the 21st century.

They are probably the best thing that has happened to our firearms industry that historicaly has been a dinosaur run by a bunch of inbred close relatives. The same folks that almost bankrupted S&W and made Colt into the joke that it became in the 80-90's. Too bad they were not able to save Winchester from falling into European hands.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #10

They can be the most conservitive all they want. They are producing JUNK.

Sorry every SYNTHETIC stock is nothing more than injection molded Chinese plastic. I know I have an SPS take off stock I paid $35 for. When you shoot it there is a horribly hollow sound. I had to fill the butt with greatstuff spray foam. Why can't remington do that seeing as they get the stock for $1 each. I had to take a dremal to it to get my POT metal bottom to fit the stock.

I have seen more than a few sitting on the shelf where the stock was touching the barrel in 3 places because it was bent like a TACO.

Sorry that is not my idea of a quality product in my eyes.

So when they can fix that they will get my business back. Till then if I buy a rifle it will be something other than a Remington.

Don't even get me started on their nasty Russian imports that they were trying to pawn off on people.

Oh and that wonderful piece of engineering called the 770. I wouldn't shoot one if they paid me. I see them looked at them that right there is a disgrace to the Remington name.