Remington Model 7 Problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington Model 7 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Remington Model 7 Problem

While breaking-in the barrel on my new Rem M7 in 7mm-08 I had a disconcerting problem - after some rounds the bolt would be very difficult to lift to extract the round. There was no pattern to it either. I was shooting three different types of ammo and it happened with each one. After one round the bolt would open normally, and the next round it stuck, then the third round it would open normally again so it was not a matter of buildup in the chamber. I used to own a Rem 700 and never had this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something that will be mitigated after the gun has more rounds through it? Is there a safety issue?

I have read and heard a lot about Remington's quality declining since they were bought by Cerberus. I would hate to abandon Big Green.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2459 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Joe,

What I would do is immediately call Remington. If it is not some mechanical issue with the Bolt itself. You could have a serious head space problem! Is there any indication like swelling or marks on the spent brass? Or the primer mashed down. The primer would look like you are firing a round that is very very hot load. (like excessive pressure).

Old 08-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sniper, you gave good advice. I called Remington and they are having me send the rifle back to the factory because it might be an headspace problem. Hopefully, they will get the rifle back to me in the promised eight weeks in time for deer season.

On a more general note, has anyone noticed a general decline in Remington products since Freedom/Cerberus took over? I had a pre-Cerberus Rem 700 that worked flawlessly and I am having problems with a Cerberus Rem 7. I would hate to bolt Remington for Savage, but if they do not make good on this rifle that is exactly what I'll do.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Sniper, you gave good advice. I called Remington and they are having me send the rifle back to the factory because it might be an headspace problem. Hopefully, they will get the rifle back to me in the promised eight weeks in time for deer season.

On a more general note, has anyone noticed a general decline in Remington products since Freedom/Cerberus took over? I had a pre-Cerberus Rem 700 that worked flawlessly and I am having problems with a Cerberus Rem 7. I would hate to bolt Remington for Savage, but if they do not make good on this rifle that is exactly what I'll do.
I've bought 3 Remington 700s in the last 2 years and they have all been flawless performers and great shooters. I'm about to buy a Stainless SPS Varmint in .308 for my son. I'm sure this one will work great too. Remington makes a LOT of guns. Just like every manufacturer every once in a while a lemon gets through. My buddy's last Savage won't do better than 2" with anything he has shot through it yet...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Wambli, I hope you are right. I shall judge Remington by how they treat me during the warranty return odyssey. I had a 1998 vintage Remington ADL in 30-06, which was a great rifle, despite being at the bottom of Remington's 700 line. It never failed to function and would shoot close to an inch at 100 yds with CoreLokt factory ammunition. I traded it in toward a Model 7 only because it was too much rifle for hunting in the wooded hills of western PA where a long shot was under 100 yards.

We shall see over the next two months. Remington is sending a box and shipping label to return the rifle to the factory, and they say the repair can take up to eight weeks. The service rep claimed she was trying to expedite the order so hopefully they will turn around more quickly than two months so I have time to re-mount the scope and hit the range before opening day of deer season.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Wambli, I hope you are right. I shall judge Remington by how they treat me during the warranty return odyssey. I had a 1998 vintage Remington ADL in 30-06, which was a great rifle, despite being at the bottom of Remington's 700 line. It never failed to function and would shoot close to an inch at 100 yds with CoreLokt factory ammunition. I traded it in toward a Model 7 only because it was too much rifle for hunting in the wooded hills of western PA where a long shot was under 100 yards.

We shall see over the next two months. Remington is sending a box and shipping label to return the rifle to the factory, and they say the repair can take up to eight weeks. The service rep claimed she was trying to expedite the order so hopefully they will turn around more quickly than two months so I have time to re-mount the scope and hit the range before opening day of deer season.
Stay on top of them and call them every few weeks for updates. You want to make sure they are making progress on your gun. I've owned several ADLs and they have been great guns. I understand your frustration. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ps for what it's worth the 7mm-08 is my favorite deer cartridge. My daughter and I both hunt with it and I've been using it with GREAT success for years. The model 7 is the perfect platform for it too.

Last edited by Wambli; 08-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Wambli, I went with 7mm-08 because it appeared to be the ideal deer cartridge, based on articles in Field & Stream, Petersons, etc. Only after buying the rifle did I learn that 7mm-08 ammo is far more expensive than 30-06 or 308.

I'll keep on Remington to make sure my rifle is moving through the system.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Wambli, I went with 7mm-08 because it appeared to be the ideal deer cartridge, based on articles in Field & Stream, Petersons, etc. Only after buying the rifle did I learn that 7mm-08 ammo is far more expensive than 30-06 or 308.

I'll keep on Remington to make sure my rifle is moving through the system.
Still cheaper than many of the exotics, more in line with .35 Whelen and some of the other stuff I like to hunt with. The way I look at it, the box of CoreLoks might cost me a few dollars more than .308 but I like the way it works.

Shop for ammo right before deer season. Remington usually puts out rebates for all the popular calibers and 7mm-08 CoreLoks can be had for a decent price. They are hell on deer at Northeast ranges.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Today I finally received the box from Remington to ship my model seven back for repairs / replacement. It only took them two weeks to send an empty cardboard box. To their credit, they are picking up the shipping which supposedly is 'not policy'. I'm shipping the rifle tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Joe- FWIW, I returned a Remington 600 to the factory for a warranty repair this year (my box, their shipping) Was pleasantly surprised. They emailed me a repair number, could click and it would tell me what was happening with my rifle day by day. After repair, they cleaned it (including dried lube in the trigger group) and test fired it, shipped back to me.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt