Remington and that "Family Traditions" stuff - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington and that "Family Traditions" stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
I own one Remington Shotgun that was made well before the express was a dream. You could dump a truckload of new Remington rifles and shotguns in my driveway and I would sell them for scrap if needed to clear my driveway. From my remarks if you think I would buy a new Remington you might need medical attention.
Old Crow, i have to disagree. all these stories about Remington's quality slipping, is just something i haven't seen. and a person would think that with as many of these rumours and myths floating around, that if they were true, i would have seen some of them crappy Remingtons.

now granted the synthetic stocked firearms are more utilitariun in appearance, but still, most people buy those to hunt with and don't want a beautiful gun to get dinged and scratched up when hunting. the BDL's and CDL's i have looked at were just as nice, IMO opinion as those i lokked at many, many years ago. very nice wood stocks, beautiful blueing and very handsome in appearance.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #12

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Old Crow, i have to disagree. all these stories about Remington's quality slipping, is just something i haven't seen. and a person would think that with as many of these rumours and myths floating around, that if they were true, i would have seen some of them crappy Remingtons.

now granted the synthetic stocked firearms are more utilitariun in appearance, but still, most people buy those to hunt with and don't want a beautiful gun to get dinged and scratched up when hunting. the BDL's and CDL's i have looked at were just as nice, IMO opinion as those i lokked at many, many years ago. very nice wood stocks, beautiful blueing and very handsome in appearance.

i agree 100%.

but if you want that "old wood" look, like i prefer, you are gonna pay for it. the newer models "might" be lighter, and might be more resistant to "dings," but the price shows the economical value of the firearm, too. you just can't beat the BDL's and CDL's FINE look and finish though!

agreed, that Remington was once a better firearm's manufacturer, but there still are some great models out there........the model 700, 1100, and 870 being 3 of those. and if i am not mistaken, there is a warranty with the firearms. BUT, as i said earlier, be prepared to pay for those models......(except the 870, because it is STILL one of the most economical and best pump shotguns around).

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #13

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

A 10 year old 870 is far better than a new one in my book. Remington is on its way down, and heading there fast.

If you can't tell by my name, I've always been more of a blued steel and walnut kinda guy. Remington seems to be moving in the other direction, so I probably won't be buying many Remington guns.

-Matt

Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #14

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
so many times i see this crap about how Remington's quality is slipping! funny in all the gun stores and pawn shops i frequent, i seem to fail at finding thse lemons that all these people are saying are on the shelves. hmmmm... you would think that if that many crappy Remingtons are out there, like all these people on the internet keep talking about, you would think i could find at least one! also funny thing is i have a few new remingtons over the last couple of years, and they function well, and shoot very accurately. funny, because of all the internet rumours and myths, i though they would shoot crappy. funny, either i am very fortunate as to luck upon the very best that Remington has made, or most of those rumours and myths are pure BS!
I don't think they aren't accurate, or that they jam frequently, I think the craftsmanship of a current Remington gun is sub-par.

-Matt

Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #15

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
I don't think they aren't accurate, or that they jam frequently, I think the craftsmanship of a current Remington gun is sub-par.

again, it just depends on whatchu wanna pay for an "above-par" Remington firearm.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #16

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Remington put me away from their semi-auto shotguns with the 1100 and the gas ring configuration. Every semi-auto remington shotgun I have owned was made well before I was born. If it's not a humpback Remington made on the original patent I don't want it. That is my stance on Remington and it always has been.

I have owned Remington 870's to shoot skeet with but they were all graded models. Not your 870 Wingmaster you can buy off the shelf at Walmart. The 870's I bought were not keepers either. I bought them to resell. If you're going to shoot competitively you need a gun you love. I have never fell in love with a Remington.

I have fell in love with Mossbergs and Brownings, not a Remington. That is why there are many brands of guns that are successful someone loves them all.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Remington put me away from their semi-auto shotguns with the 1100 and the gas ring configuration. Every semi-auto remington shotgun I have owned was made well before I was born. If it's not a humpback Remington made on the original patent I don't want it. That is my stance on Remington and it always has been.

I have owned Remington 870's to shoot skeet with but they were all graded models. Not your 870 Wingmaster you can buy off the shelf at Walmart. The 870's I bought were not keepers either. I bought them to resell. If you're going to shoot competitively you need a gun you love. I have never fell in love with a Remington.

I have fell in love with Mossbergs and Brownings, not a Remington. That is why there are many brands of guns that are successful someone loves them all.
Old Crow, i won't say anything derogatory about Mossbergs or Brownings. now Mossbergs IMO, were usually never as nice looking as Remingtons, but functioned well and did their job, and their price point has reflected that. now compare the Brownings, most are usually way nicer that Remingtons, and you pay for that craftsmanship. i usually paid much more in the past for used Brownings, than what i paid for a new Remington. IMO, i think Brownings would hold a better value than most Remingtons. but Remingtons are not crappy rifles, and they have just used smart marketing, that works. want a proven platform at a lesser price, then buy their lower priced matte finished, synthetic stocked firearm. it will do the job, just not near as pretty to look at. IMO, i don't think a deer is going to know the difference between a SPS M700 or a fancy CDL Deluxe M700.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

I've owned more than a dozen Remington rifles, and half that many semi-auto shotguns over the years.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has been top-o-the line.

The new 1100s are the best shotguns made in the USA.

Personally, I wouldn't have any pump action shotgun as a gift, but if I ever did, it would be an 870. (and that comes from having to shoot, and teach the 870 during my LE career)

The Remington 700 police is one of the most accurate off the shelf rifles ever made.

Today's Remington 700 is a far better, more reliable, more accurate rifle than youir father's 700.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #19

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Glad you think so highly of them.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Glad you think so highly of them.
many of us do think highly of our firearms and when people spread rumours or myths that are not founded in truth, we can get defensive. pretty much as the same rumours running around about Hi-Point pistols. they are crap, they break, ect.,,,,, well Hi-Point does have it's flaws, they are ugly and top heavy and clunky, but, BUT, they for the most part are faily reliable and decently accurate and are one dang good value for the price. but the rumours and myths abound, and more than likely started by those who have no first hand knowledge of them. same as those started about Marlins. same BS again. and from i have seen, unfounded. same as i have seen with the Remingtons, unfounded. sort of like the story going around several years ago about the Remington M700 rifles shooting without touching the trigger. funny thing was, it was never able to be duplicated. but stories and rumours abounded on the internet about defective M700 rifles, and still come up from time to time still. IMO, and from what i have seen personally, Remington still makes some of the best firearms on the market, and i haven't seen that their quality is slipping. are there better firearms than Remington? yes there is. are there worse firearms than Remington? yes there is.