Remington and that "Family Traditions" stuff
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington and that "Family Traditions" stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default Remington and that "Family Traditions" stuff

Okay, I know she's (kind of) pretty. I get it. And she puts on lipstick after she shoots the deer. I get it. But HEY, REMINGTON: Improve the quality of your product, be innovative and don't forget what got you that great reputation you used to have!

It does nothing for me when I see this contrived, stero-typed "hunting family" with kid's names like "Gunner". C'mon, let's get real! Stop throwing this model wanna-be stuff at us and start making your darn trigger guards out of metal again! lol

I own 2 Remington shotguns and 2 Remington deer rifles - all over ten years old. I am not sure if I would buy a new Remington product these days? I certainly wouldn't just because they have a quasi-model-type spokesperson. (Sorry, Haley). I mean, if you are gonna go after my libido, she needs to hunt in the nude.

I'm not the kind of guy that buys a product or drinks a beer because there is a "hot" chick in the ad, or a muscle car, or big 'ol truck in the picture. I want to know how good the product is - and in Remington's case, I think they have lost some quality over the years.

I say, less glitz and more gun from the nation's oldest gun maker.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Soooo true. No family tradition here to a firearm company. Exept dan wesson early days. Nice buck.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been a pistol shooter all my life, so I don't know anything about what Remington used to be, but I jumped in this year when those iron sights started to disappear on me! Being a southpaw, I decided to buy a few 700's to test the waters. I bought two at the beginning of the summer to get started with, and two more this fall when the lefties became available.

The .308 Varmint SF shoots five shot groups under 0.50", the .223 SPS Stainless shoots 0.60" groups, and the .308 SPS Varmint LH shoots under 0.50" groups. None of those rifles have seen a gunsmith.

The fourth rifle hasn't been to the range yet, as it shares a scope with the SPS Varmint.

That's not bad, considering I've only been shooting rifles since July. A real rifle shooter could do a lot better, I'm thinking. The finish on the SPS Varmint is like sandpaper, and the scope base needed a lot of shimming to get it straight, but that accuracy is legitimate and consistent. I think for the price, that is a pretty decent product.

I don't take the advertising seriously. That stuff is aimed at Mouth-Breathers, not at me.

IS IT?!?! Because if that ad was aimed at me, I would be OFFENDED!!! Those dirty #%^&**&%$#**(()^$'s!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5724 Times on 3238 Posts
Likes Given: 5161

Progress marches on. "Blue steel and walnut" have been replaced by newer, cheaper and better materials.

Instead of fighting improvements, embrace them.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Progress marches on. "Blue steel and walnut" have been replaced by newer, cheaper and better materials.

Instead of fighting improvements, embrace them.
But they have to be improvements. Throughout the history of Remington they have either sold their best designs or butchered them somehow.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5724 Times on 3238 Posts
Likes Given: 5161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
But they have to be improvements. Throughout the history of Remington they have either sold their best designs or butchered them somehow.
I've owned "OLD" 700s that wouldn't group any better than 1.5 inches no matter what you fed them. And new ones that will group 3/4 inch no matter what you feed them.

I consider that an improvement.

I've had "OLD" wooden stocks that had to be rebedded every 4 or 5 years. And new plastic ones that never have to be rebedded. That's an improvement.

Granted, not all change is good. But most of Remington's changes have been good.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've owned "OLD" 700s that wouldn't group any better than 1.5 inches no matter what you fed them. And new ones that will group 3/4 inch no matter what you feed them.

I consider that an improvement.

I've had "OLD" wooden stocks that had to be rebedded every 4 or 5 years. And new plastic ones that never have to be rebedded. That's an improvement.

Granted, not all change is good. But most of Remington's changes have been good.
I have never owned a Remington bolt action rifle in my life, I doubt I ever will. I have owned several Remington Woodmaster semi-auto rifles in my life. They all were as accurate as any gun I have ever owned. But they had one fault, seldom have I seen a woodmaster that would empty a five shot clip without a malfunction.

I have owned plenty of Remington shotguns. They are definitely going downhill. The quality of todays Remington shotguns is horrid. It's sad when a Interstate (Nonrinco Reminton knock off) is an upgrade to the current Remington Express shotguns. Yet the price keeps going up on Remington products.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

so many times i see this crap about how Remington's quality is slipping! funny in all the gun stores and pawn shops i frequent, i seem to fail at finding thse lemons that all these people are saying are on the shelves. hmmmm... you would think that if that many crappy Remingtons are out there, like all these people on the internet keep talking about, you would think i could find at least one! also funny thing is i have a few new remingtons over the last couple of years, and they function well, and shoot very accurately. funny, because of all the internet rumours and myths, i though they would shoot crappy. funny, either i am very fortunate as to luck upon the very best that Remington has made, or most of those rumours and myths are pure BS!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #9

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

if you're unhappy with Remington's products why don't you buy from another manufacturer?

it's not like they are the only ones who make rifles

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
if you're unhappy with Remington's products why don't you buy from another manufacturer?

it's not like they are the only ones who make rifles
I own one Remington Shotgun that was made well before the express was a dream. You could dump a truckload of new Remington rifles and shotguns in my driveway and I would sell them for scrap if needed to clear my driveway. From my remarks if you think I would buy a new Remington you might need medical attention.