Remington 788 discussion. - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 788 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

So many of us own 788's than have been trouble free it would be hard to really find one that someone broke anything on if they have a lick of common sence. Lube the locking lugs with a high pressure lube and don't shoot reloaded brass thats not been full lentht sized properly and maxed out loads and bolt problems will not happen. Never heard of a trigger mounting point problem . So many guys that own these rifle have had them from the late 60's and 70's and don't even vist a firearm forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #52

Liked 295 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quick web check shows a few have had the stud for trigger group mounting break off. Appears welded on. No doubt a few folks have had that problem and not reported it on the web
I've seen the failure first hand, so know it exists.
I didn't have any problems with my 788 though, and I never shoot FL sized reloads (unless getting brass ready for a new rig- after that it's neck size only). BTW, my loads are always max'd out.
Never any issues.
But then I don't screw up

Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
So many of us own 788's than have been trouble free it would be hard to really find one that someone broke anything on if they have a lick of common sence. Lube the locking lugs with a high pressure lube and don't shoot reloaded brass thats not been full lentht sized properly and maxed out loads and bolt problems will not happen. Never heard of a trigger mounting point problem . So many guys that own these rifle have had them from the late 60's and 70's and don't even vist a firearm forum.
Never even heard of a "high pressure lube." Can you name some poducts that are in this category? 'Always used Rem-Oil or WD40, that's it.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #54

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbg62

Never even heard of a "high pressure lube." Can you name some poducts that are in this category? 'Always used Rem-Oil or WD40, that's it.
CLP, hoppes, royal purple, rem oil, barkers-all good high pressure oils. NEVER ever use wd40 in a gun. That is coming from a licensed and certified gunsmith who has seen guns destroyed when used w wd40 in the right circumstances.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #55

I have used this for years -http://www.proshotproducts.com/Pro-Gold-1-oz-jar_p_616.html

But it is enought for seveal guys for many years of use. Buy the 10cc syringe they now offer. But if you have a sythetic bearing grease it will work just fine too. Use something like breakfree clp as a general oil and works for light cleaning too. Never use wd-40 and I don't use rem oil.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #56

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default The 788's Are Known For Accuracy

The 788's mya not be very pretty and yes, they were $80 rifles when they hit the public but they have a reputation for being very accurate. My .243 was manufactured in 1974 and it shoots my loads with 75 grain V-Max's scary accurate. Most of the bolt handle issues were the fault of the shooter. If you shoot a "hot" load that jams the action using your boot heel isn't the method I'd recommend for freeing the stuck case. A rod down the bore is the wiser option.

02-r.jpg   test-shots-6-17-2012____-1.jpg  

Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #57

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbg62 View Post
There are some lubricants out there that have been classified as having "high pressure" qualities. Most of these lubricants are synthetic bearing greases. The equipment that this type of lubricant is designed for will experience a lot more stress than the bolt on a rifle ever will under any circumstances. It is not necessary to use this type of lubricant on the locking lugs of a rifle bolt. Keeping the parts of a bolt-action rifle clean and lightly oiled with a decent oil is enough. RemOil is fine for this type of application. I have had my 788 for more than 30 years and the bolt and other parts are still in outstanding condition.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #58

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
CLP, hoppes, royal purple, rem oil, barkers-all good high pressure oils. NEVER ever use wd40 in a gun. That is coming from a licensed and certified gunsmith who has seen guns destroyed when used w wd40 in the right circumstances.
I agree with this. Based upon my experience I would not use WD-40 to lubricate the parts of a firearm. I might use it to remove rust or other corrosion but not as a lubricant.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #59

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

I agree with this. Based upon my experience I would not use WD-40 to lubricate the parts of a firearm. I might use it to remove rust or other corrosion but not as a lubricant.
The only tine I use wd40 is to clean the outside of a gun then I get rid of it w clp

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #60

Rem oil is junk compared to so many products out today. I learn about Pro-gold from a bench shooter many years slit have there finish on them. You may not feel you need to use a hgrease in a high pressure area but don't thing you know right from wrong hon this. If you think a very thin film of grease is not needed read here. Note the term Grease

-http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/bolt-maintenance-methods-materials/
OR