Remington 788 discussion. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 788 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I found a Walnut stock online. Same profile as the early Birch. Nice looking stock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #42

Yes, mine has the monte carlo stock.
cottontop

Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #43

Default 788 for Sale

Hello:
I am selling my Remington 788 in 6mm for $400 firm plus $20 shipping in US. Has scope bases, 2 mags, recoil pad and stock has been refinished and all metal surfaces parkarized and painted. Rifle shoot 1/2" MOA. Purchased new back in 60s. Please let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing it.

Thanks,

Lee

Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoutdoors View Post
Hello:
I am selling my Remington 788 in 6mm for $400 firm plus $20 shipping in US. Has scope bases, 2 mags, recoil pad and stock has been refinished and all metal surfaces parkarized and painted. Rifle shoot 1/2" MOA. Purchased new back in 60s. Please let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing it.

Thanks,

Lee
Gosh, if it were a .223 new model I’d be sorely tempted. Don’t know why, because my .243 with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is absolutely devastating, but still, I would be tempted. Good luck, that’s a very fair price, old or new model.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #45

In all my experience with the 788, reading pre and post 1980 promo material and personally handling the old and new models I have never known walnut to be stock material, it was always birch. Still, I am very curious and would appreciate from “cottontop” the source for information regarding the use of walnut. One other bit of information I left out is that the new model has a thicker pistol grip giving the rifle a much firmer feel.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #46

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbg62 View Post
In all my experience with the 788, reading pre and post 1980 promo material and personally handling the old and new models I have never known walnut to be stock material, it was always birch. Still, I am very curious and would appreciate from “cottontop” the source for information regarding the use of walnut. One other bit of information I left out is that the new model has a thicker pistol grip giving the rifle a much firmer feel.
I did some Googling and the walnut was an early option. Nice looking Walnut used on the ones I saw onlne, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #47

Default 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbg62 View Post

How about the 788 in my hand right now? Is that source enough for you? The stock IS WALNUT. Do you think I am making it up? Why would I do that? I know the difference between walnut and birch. If you started looking at 1980 and then went back, you did not go back far enough in time for your search. Mine is from the late 1960's. Did you go back that far? Your research is incomplete. Make sure you do your research throughly before you go accusing people of lying.
cottontop

Old 06-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
How about the 788 in my hand right now? Is that source enough for you? The stock IS WALNUT. Do you think I am making it up? Why would I do that? I know the difference between walnut and birch. If you started looking at 1980 and then went back, you did not go back far enough in time for your search. Mine is from the late 1960's. Did you go back that far? Your research is incomplete. Make sure you do your research throughly before you go accusing people of lying.
cottontop

Whoa! Just where in my post did I accuse you of lying? I only expressed a genuine interest for the source of your information, OK? And yes, I have handled models from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s but never any with a walnut stock; no have I ever read any claim to such by Remington or any other source. You made the broad statement “the ones made in the late 1960’s when the rifle first came out had walnut stocks,” so I assumed, albeit erroneously, that you had information which I lacked.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #49

Thought there stocks where all made of maple or sonething

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #50

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Some were walnut stocked (bud's shop just sold a nice one in .243) but most birch. There were a couple of different stock designs as well (at least 2, early vs later). My 7mm-08 was a later model.

I have seen a possibly not mentioned 788 failure, trigger group attachment point broken from receiver. Saw that it has happened to others on some forums, so not a complete fluke.

Can be fixed though.