Remington 788 discussion. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 788 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock
My 788 started as a full size rifle. I got it used when I turned 16, and it was my first CF rifle.

It ended up retired, and a safe queen.

So, a few years ago I dug it out and went to work.

Added some custom Ashley Express (XS) sights.
Cut the barrel to 17".
Threaded for a Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider.
Did some misc metal work.
Cut down the forend and reshaped it.
Reshaped the cheekrest.
Painted with Aluma Hyde 2.

She still doesn't get much use, but I really like her this way.
Very nice!

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #32

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Here is mine. It still is used for deer hunting.

forumrunner_20120602_071600.jpg

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #33

Did some browsing on Remington 788 and was surprised to find such a recent discussion on the subject. I’ll be a newbie here with comments on the three I own.
For thirty years I have been a very satisfied owner of three Remington 788’s in .243, 7mm-8 and .308. I bought the guns used in the early 80’s and they are the later version of the rifle with 18.5” barrel plus the stock with wider fore end and fluted comb. A local gunsmith, also a 788 fan and owner that understood exactly what I wanted done and knew how to do it put all three through the paces by installing a Ram-Line synthetic stock on the .308, putting a beautiful black wrinkle finish paint job on the .243 and another nice light tan one on the 7mm-8. The barrels were free floated, the actions glass bedded and the triggers were reworked down to 2 pounds (originally they were set 1.5 pounds but that turned out to be a bit dicey as I was to find out by setting the butt end of the 7mm-8 on the floor while cocked and it clicked), installed Uncle Mike’s flush mount Push Button Detachable Swivels on the 7mm-8, regular ones on the two others along with webbed quick release slings; black Pachmayr Decelarator Pads were installed on all of them. The iron sights were removed, a Zeiss Diavari-C 3x9x36 (purchased in Germany but with a 1” tube) was put on the .308, a new Bushnell Banner 2x8x28 from the very early 80’s (still good quality back then) went on the 7mm-08 and Weaver K4 4x32 50th anniversay scope got on the .243 (this is a beautiful scope with engraved scope tube, engraved Weaver rings and gold inlaid Bill Weaver image on the caps). All were mounted on Redfield rotary rings and one piece bases except for the .243 which used the Weaver 2 piece base; Butler Creek flip-up scope caps went on all scopes. Also I purchased an extra magazine for each caliber only to find out that those three calibers are interchangeable and I needed only to buy one.
Being a pre-baby boomer, I’ve owned plenty of rifles of different manufacturers like Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Colt-Sauer. Somehow I’ve settled on these three 788’s as being my favorites for my West Texas hunting (mule deer, white tail and javelina). Remington Core-Lokt PSP ammo will do but I prefer the Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tip, albeit at $40.00 per box I’ve had to revert to Remington once in a while. Without going into detail, these guns are real tack drivers and while the .308 is my choice hunting rifle, the 7mm-8 is the sweet shooter with hardly any recoil; the .243 is absolutely devastating on small game. Never have I had any problem with the guns except for the .243 very early while using reloads which resulted in a head spacing problem; a Dremel tool took care of that. I’ve spent some money on mine but for a budget minded shooter I could not make a different recommendation. Shoot the rifle and get to know it! There are plenty still available and good shooters at that without my modifications although prices have risen drastically. I can remember when these were available for 89.95 with a scope under a Remington special rebate program. I prefer the post 1980 configuration of the stock and barrel to the earlier one with my mountain desert hunting; it’s short, a pleasure to handle and a sweet shooter. As I belong to the “older” set of hunters with no family members interested in guns or hunting, I dread the day I’ll have to part with my “friends.” NUMRICH has always been a good source for 788 parts but you’ll be hard pressed to find any bolts; BROWNELLS also carries a small inventory and clips are readily available on the internet.
One more thing, I do have a copy of “MODIFYING THE 788 TRIGGER by PAUL Dorsey. Don’t know if my gun smith used these instructions because he knew what to do as he had already modified a couple of his own 788’s. The article is out of some Gun/Hunting magazine from almost thirty years ago and if anyone is interested, please send me a message. Also I have the original later model .308 stock for sale which has been nicely refinished in a feathered light brown color, does have a red/white line space butt pad and swivel Studs; I believe it fits not only the .308 but the .243 and 7mm-08 and perhaps the 6mm as well.
Thanks for reading, just wanted to get my .02 cents worth in.

788-2.jpg  

Old 06-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #34
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2558 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Slojoe,

I had a 22-250 Remington 788 and even today I could kick myself for ever getting rid of it! Wish I could find anotherone in good shape for the price you can buy the 243 for. I never had the first problem with mine other than as one of the guys stated it would out shoot the Remington BDL I had in 243 Cal. And OH what a predator rifle it was! That would be a good buy if the rifle is in decent shape in my opinion. 243 is a great caliber.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #35

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Slojoe,

I had a 22-250 Remington 788 and even today I could kick myself for ever getting rid of it! Wish I could find anotherone in good shape for the price you can buy the 243 for. I never had the first problem with mine other than as one of the guys stated it would out shoot the Remington BDL I had in 243 Cal. And OH what a predator rifle it was! That would be a good buy if the rifle is in decent shape in my opinion. 243 is a great caliber.

Oh yeah, the 788 in either the 22-250 or .243 is a great shooter. I am getting ready to try some new .243 loads in my rifle. I am going to try the Hornady .87-grain V-Max with H4350 and IMR 4064. It has always been a really fun rifle to shoot because of its accuracy, and after 30+ years the bolt handle is still in place.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #36

I now have my 788 in .222 Remington. It has the walnut stock and a 24" barrel. With the 1 in 14 twist, it really likes the 40 grain bullets and will group them into tight cloverleaf patterns. The heaviest it will shoot is 55 grains. Anything over 55 and it will not stabilize. That's fine with me. The 55's shoot less than 1/2". It doesn't matter wich powder or weight I use; i.e., Reloder 7, 3031, or BL-C2, it groups well with all of them. This is definitely the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
cottontop

Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #37

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I don't remember Remington ever offering a walnut stock on the 788. Every one I've seen has been Birch.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #38

After browsing some more on the 788 subject I noticed that there are a few misconceptions about the action nomenclature for this rifle. There are three action lengths, short for the 44 magnum; long for the .222, .223, .22-250 and I think the .30-30; x-long for the .243, 6mm, 7mm-08 and .308. The .44 magnum and the 30-30 also have a different magazine and bolt configuration. In fact Redfield listed three different action lengths for their one-piece base.

One more thing on the difference between early and later models. The later version also has a “polished, silvery” bolt versus the unsightly black bolt of the earlier models. On my 7mm-8 and .308 I had the bolts jeweled which while not a useful modification, does add to the looks of the rifle. In my opinion the post 1980 version is the more aesthetically pleasing one. Also, on models prior to 1975 there was a bolt lock function of the safety that did not allow the rifle to be unloaded with the safety engaged.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #39

Default 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I don't remember Remington ever offering a walnut stock on the 788. Every one I've seen has been Birch.

The ones made in the late 1960's when the rifle first came out had walnut stocks. The .243 I had in 1969 had a walnut stock. The .222 I currently have has a walnut stock. You may not remember them but some of them definitely had walnut stocks. I guess that makes mine rare and even more collectable.
cottontop

Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #40

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The ones made in the late 1960's when the rifle first came out had walnut stocks. The .243 I had in 1969 had a walnut stock. The .222 I currently have has a walnut stock. You may not remember them but some of them definitely had walnut stocks. I guess that makes mine rare and even more collectable.
cottontop
Interesting. I'd love to see some pics if you can post them up. The early stocks had the "Monte Carlo" style cheekrest, does the walnut have that?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."