Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 788 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

My old boss who is also a member of our deer hunting party has had a old 788 in .308 as long as I can remember, he swears by that rifle to this day, he's never had any trouble and as has already been stated it really shoots. I think his is a lefty version.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #22

Another problem is replacing the clip which is hard to find. When you find one you be paying up to 100 dollars if lucky.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have never had any of those problems with this one. I bought this Model 788 in .243 in the early 80s. It is a very accurate rifle. I have gotten a lot of bang for the buck with this rifle, no pun intended.

guns-005.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #24

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
I have never had any of those problems with this one. I bought this Model 788 in .243 in the early 80s. It is a very accurate rifle. I have gotten a lot of bang for the buck with this rifle, no pun intended.
What kind of scope mount is on that gun. Beautiful firearm !

Thomas

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #25

If I remember correctly, one reason the 788 was (is) so accurate is the extremely fast lock time of the trigger assembly; at least that was the way they were advertised in the Remington ads. Also, the 9 lug bolt locking system is similar to the Weatherby, though the Weatherby locks up in the front of the action. The 788 locks up in the rear. I wish the 788 had front locking lugs.
cottontop

Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgodd View Post
What kind of scope mount is on that gun. Beautiful firearm !

Thomas
Thanks. The scope mount rings are made by Weaver. You can find them at WalMart. That Bushnell 3x9 scope fits my 788 like it was specially designed for it. I don't shoot this rifle very often. I should get it out more because I have lots of nice ammo for it.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #27

I did some research on this rifle. The 788 was very accurate for a couple of reasons. The action and barrel has a simple but sturdy design. Take a good look at the barrel on my rifle above. It is pretty stout. The bolts on these rifles are even built pretty sturdy. I read the reports above of bolt handles on 788s breaking and I can't understand how it happens. The bolt handle on my rifle is real thick; it would take some serious force to break it. My rifle is small with a barrel only 18 1/2" long, but it is heavy. The stock has a very simple design but it is solid. Anyway, I have had nothing but good results with my 788.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #28

Did some browsing on Remington 788 and was surprised to find such a recent discussion on the subject. I’ll be a newbie here with comments on the three I own.

For thirty years I have been a very satisfied owner of three Remington 788’s in .243, 7mm-8 and .308. I bought the guns used in the early 80’s and they are the later version of the rifle with 18.5” barrel plus the stock with wider fore end and fluted comb. A local gunsmith, also a 788 fan and owner that understood exactly what I wanted done and knew how to do it put all three through the paces by installing a Ram-Line synthetic stock on the .308, putting a beautiful black wrinkle finish paint job on the .243 and another nice light tan one on the 7mm-8. The barrels were free floated, the actions glass bedded and the triggers were reworked down to 2 pounds (originally they were set 1.5 pounds but that turned out to be a bit dicey as I was to find out by setting the butt end of the 7mm-8 on the floor while cocked and it clicked), installed Uncle Mike’s flush mount Push Button Detachable Swivels on the 7mm-8, regular ones on the two others along with webbed quick release slings; black Pachmayr Decelarator Pads were installed on all of them. The iron sights were removed, a Zeiss Diavari-C 3x9x36 (purchased in Germany but with a 1” tube) was put on the .308, a new Bushnell Banner 2x8x28 from the very early 80’s (still good quality back then) went on the 7mm-08 and Weaver K4 4x32 50th anniversay scope got on the .243 (this is a beautiful scope with engraved scope tube, engraved Weaver rings and gold inlaid Bill Weaver image on the caps). All were mounted on Redfield rotary rings and one piece bases except for the .243 which used the Weaver 2 piece base; Butler Creek flip-up scope caps went on all scopes. Also I purchased an extra magazine for each caliber only to find out that those three calibers are interchangeable and I needed only to buy one.

Being a pre-baby boomer, I’ve owned plenty of rifles of different manufacturers like Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Colt-Sauer. Somehow I’ve settled on these three 788’s as being my favorites for my West Texas hunting (mule deer, white tail and javelina). Remington Core-Lokt PSP ammo will do but I prefer the Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tip, albeit at $40.00 per box I’ve had to revert to Remington once in a while. Without going into detail, these guns are real tack drivers and while the .308 is my choice hunting rifle, the 7mm-8 is the sweet shooter with hardly any recoil; the .243 is absolutely devastating on small game. Never have I had any problem with the guns except for the .243 very early while using reloads which resulted in a head spacing problem; a Dremel tool took care of that. I’ve spent some money on mine but for a budget minded shooter I could not make a different recommendation. Shoot the rifle and get to know it! There are plenty still available and good shooters at that without my modifications although prices have risen drastically. I can remember when these were available for 89.95 with a scope under a Remington special rebate program. I prefer the post 1980 configuration of the stock and barrel to the earlier one with my mountain desert hunting; it’s short, a pleasure to handle and a sweet shooter. As I belong to the “older” set of hunters with no family members interested in guns or hunting, I dread the day I’ll have to part with my “friends.” NUMRICH has always been a good source for 788 parts but you’ll be hard pressed to find any bolts; BROWNELLS also carries a small inventory and clips are readily available on the internet.

One more thing, I do have a copy of “MODIFYING THE 788 TRIGGER by PAUL Dorsey. Don’t know if my gun smith used these instructions because he knew what to do as he had already modified a couple of his own 788’s. The article is out of some Gun/Hunting magazine from almost thirty years ago and if anyone is interested, please send me a message. Also I have the original later model .308 stock for sale which has been nicely refinished in a feathered light brown color, does have a red/white line space butt pad and swivel Studs; I believe it fits not only the .308 but the .243 and 7mm-08 and perhaps the 6mm as well.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to get my .02 cents worth in.

788-2.jpg  

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #29

test, test, test

Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #30

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My 788 started as a full size rifle. I got it used when I turned 16, and it was my first CF rifle.

It ended up retired, and a safe queen.

So, a few years ago I dug it out and went to work.

Added some custom Ashley Express (XS) sights.
Cut the barrel to 17".
Threaded for a Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider.
Did some misc metal work.
Cut down the forend and reshaped it.
Reshaped the cheekrest.
Painted with Aluma Hyde 2.

She still doesn't get much use, but I really like her this way.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."