Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 788 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 788 discussion.

I've heard & read all the reasons a person shouldn't buy a Rem 788. Does anyone have any accurate failure stitistics on the failures. I have found a nice 788 in .243 caliber for $375.00 & would like to have some first hand info on failures & also some published data of failures.(like 1 out of 10-50-100 etc, failure rate). I know that user treatment is important but it would be a rifle failure non-the-less. Can any one give info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure such data would be unavailable; mostly because it wasn't worth collecting.
I performed Remington warranty work for about ten years during the period the 788 was manufactured. Failures which were common enough to be considered notable included:
Bolt stop breakage. (faulty heat treat)
Bolt handle coming off (faulty silver brazing)
Misfiring. (mainspring issues)
Ejection problems (this was related to the ejection angle and the tendency for empties to strike the scope turret)
In general, the 788 was an interesting rifle which has to be considered to have been an engineering exercise. It cost more to build than a 700 and was not as reliable, was heavier, and was more limited. The only reason for you to choose the 788 over any other rifle would be that it interests you.
Remington might have some warranty clainm data but it is unlikely they would be willing to share it. GD

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks greydog for the info--in view of the scary reports I think I will pass on this 788.I want a .243 but I want one i'm not afraid to shoot. $375.00 is a good price but it may be a pig in a poke

Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've worked on 788s that came into my shop and the #1 problem was the bolt handle coming off, which is an easy fix. Remington brought them out originally to serve as an economy rifle. In fact most of them would actually outshoot the flagship 700 models. I still have 1 out of the several I've owned-a 7mm08, and my daughter has claimed that.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

788's seem to have something of a cult following. Some people love them. I have a few friends that have multiple examples. They are trying to obtain one in each caliber ever made (including .44 mag). They seem to be a poor mans collectable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

Everyone I've known that has one never had an ounce of trouble with the 788. My brother has one in 6mm Remington for over 40 years, not an issue.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #7

stalkingbear, you say the bolt handle is an easy fix. Why was many people looking for a bolt replacement? Is the bolt handle an easy fix to a qualified 'smith or are the smiths that can fix these handles a special breed? Sorry for the questions but I am trying to either talk myself into buying this 788 in .243 or let it go. I really like the looks & feel of this Arm. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's a simple matter for a smith to braze the bolt handle back on if it ever comes off. Any smith worth their name can do this. If it helps you all the 788s I've personally had never came apart like that although I have had to fix several of them for other people. I happen to like 788s even better than a lot of "better" rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloejoe View Post
stalkingbear, you say the bolt handle is an easy fix. Why was many people looking for a bolt replacement? Is the bolt handle an easy fix to a qualified 'smith or are the smiths that can fix these handles a special breed? Sorry for the questions but I am trying to either talk myself into buying this 788 in .243 or let it go. I really like the looks & feel of this Arm. Thanks.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #9

for what it is worth, i have two of the 788's . i hunt and shoot them both . niether has given me any trouble .one in 6mm and one in 308 . the 308's mag does rattle slightlythen the 6mm . they both shoot tight groups .

wrench .

p.s. i'd buy another .....

Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The only repairs I've had to do on the 788s is the bolt handle. I have never had any problems with ones that I have owned though. If you can pick one up for a good price, by all means, do so...

Jim.............