Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis. - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #181
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Wow, that's allot of options, did you say you had the Varmint Hunter?
yes. the XS7VH in 308. i ordered it right after Marlin introduced them. it took me three months for my LGS to get mine in. it was worth the wait! absolutely love it! here's a couple of pictures of it and my XS7 in 7mm-08. the 7mm-08 i restocked with a Boyd's grey laminate stock.
marlin-xs7vh-308-001-002.jpg   marlin-xs7vh-308-001-009.jpg   marlin-xs7vh-308-001-010.jpg   marlin-xs7vh-308-001-004.jpg   marlin-xs7-7mm-08-003.jpg  

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #182
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Wow, I really like that 7mm-08, she's beautiful.

__________________
95sniper is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #183
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Wow, I really like that 7mm-08, she's beautiful.
thank you. i really like her too!

a some point i do plan on rebarreling it with a 24" or 26" stainless steel heavy fluted barrel in 7mm-08.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #184
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

thank you. i really like her too!

a some point i do plan on rebarreling it with a 24" or 26" stainless steel heavy fluted barrel in 7mm-08.
Does the heavier barrel make a big enough difference accuracy wise? Just curious.
__________________
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #185
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Does the heavier barrel make a big enough difference accuracy wise? Just curious.
to some degree, yes it does. heavier barrel will have less barrel harmonics, as in less deflection and also will allow more shots to be fired before it heats up. the longer barrel will allow it to achieve a little more velocity which can add to it's accuracy. as a barrel heats up, it's deflection can increase which will impede it's accuracy to a degree.

now slim sporter barrels can be just as accurate, but heat up quicker. but for hunting work just fine, because you wouldn't be shooting much anyways.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

to some degree, yes it does. heavier barrel will have less barrel harmonics, as in less deflection and also will allow more shots to be fired before it heats up. the longer barrel will allow it to achieve a little more velocity which can add to it's accuracy. as a barrel heats up, it's deflection can increase which will impede it's accuracy to a degree.

now slim sporter barrels can be just as accurate, but heat up quicker. but for hunting work just fine, because you wouldn't be shooting much anyways.
How much heavier its it?
__________________
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #187
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
How much heavier its it?
the XS7 in 308 weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs. and the XS7VH in 308 weighs in at 7 3/4 lbs.

mine has had weight added and with the scope weighs a little over 13.5 lbs.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #188
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

the XS7 in 308 weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs. and the XS7VH in 308 weighs in at 7 3/4 lbs.

mine has had weight added and with the scope weighs a little over 13.5 lbs.
That's not terrible, I want to find the varmint version but I can't find one around here.
__________________
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #189
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
That's not terrible, I want to find the varmint version but I can't find one around here.
you might have to have your LGS order it for you. i have seen many of the sporters in stock at various places, but not the heavy barrel varmint hunters.

i don't know what the going price is in your area, but the MSRP of the XS7VH is $396. i paid $370 for mine when it arrived at my LGS. i am very pleased with the rifle and the price i paid.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #190
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
new_girsan_1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 198
Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Axxe you are making me want one damn it. :-) i would want it in 7mm mag though.

__________________
new_girsan_1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Savage Axis .223 BlackBeautyF150 General Rifle Discussion 21 08-09-2012 07:43 PM
Savage Axis vs. Remington 770 vs. Ruger American ninjatoth General Rifle Discussion 14 07-26-2012 11:35 PM
Is thete a Difference between the Axis and the Axis XP by Savage? DerHund15 General Rifle Discussion 3 12-02-2011 08:33 PM
A new Savage Axis for me!! SoupNazi General Rifle Discussion 12 09-23-2011 02:32 PM