Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis. - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

What exactly is free floating your barrel and how much would it cost for a gun smith to do this
Basically what the other said. It let the barrel basically "float" inside I the stock. You can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock, the. Slip the paper all the way down the channel until you get to the action. This helps to keep the barrel from coming in contact with any part of the stock. What that does is allow it to vibrate the exact same way every time you pull the trigger.

I can't imagine it costing more then maybe $20.00 if you where to have a gun smith do it for you. Most guys, such as Bullet, do it on their own with some sand paper.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #152

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

Basically what the other said. It let the barrel basically "float" inside I the stock. You can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock, the. Slip the paper all the way down the channel until you get to the action. This helps to keep the barrel from coming in contact with any part of the stock. What that does is allow it to vibrate the exact same way every time you pull the trigger.

I can't imagine it costing more then maybe $20.00 if you where to have a gun smith do it for you. Most guys, such as Bullet, do it on their own with some sand paper.
Thanks for the help anything to get the 770 more accurate

Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #153

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Everyone seems to bag on this rifle and its apparent total lack of repeatable accuracy.
If you read carefully, you'll see that everyone bags on this rifle because of it's LOW QUALITY. It makes a Bic lighter look like a solid gold Dunhill.

By all accounts accuracy is quite acceptable. Nobody has bagged on it for that.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #154

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman

If you read carefully, you'll see that everyone bags on this rifle because of it's LOW QUALITY. It makes a Bic lighter look like a solid gold Dunhill.

I won't lie, I kind of laughed when I seem this post. Not at you or what you said in it, but just because of the timing.

I'm not sure about this thread since in all honesty, I don't remember what all has been said. However there's a fair share of people who bag on the rifle because they feel its incapable of holding one inch groups or smaller at 100 yards.

I will admit the construction could of been a little better in regards to where the bolt sits and could of been tightened up, but if your buying a $300.00-$350.00 rifle and expecting it to not have some form of "shabby" crafts manship, I think you've got to have high hopes.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #155
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21309 Times on 12088 Posts
Likes Given: 53085

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post

Quote:
I won't lie, I kind of laughed when I seem this post. Not at you or what you said in it, but just because of the timing.

I'm not sure about this thread since in all honesty, I don't remember what all has been said. However there's a fair share of people who bag on the rifle because they feel its incapable of holding one inch groups or smaller at 100 yards.

I will admit the construction could of been a little better in regards to where the bolt sits and could of been tightened up, but if your buying a $300.00-$350.00 rifle and expecting it to not have some form of "shabby" crafts manship, I think you've got to have high hopes.
when compared to other rifles in the same or near price range, the M770 is by far inferior to the others. yes some of you have gotten some really good groups, but from my experiances with them and many more i have seen personally, the results some of you are getting are anomolies, rather the exception than the rule so to speak. i think if you Google the M770, you will find it has more poor reviews that good ones.

i have seen personally several that couldn't hold a 1 inch group or less at 100 yards. mine wouldn't even hold 2 inches at 100 and many times was closer to 3 inches. not acceptable to me in the least. if any of you are getting the groups that you are happy with and are pleased with the M770 then enjoy it. but if asked i will state my displeasure with it and why and my experiances with them. i will let the facts and evidence speak for itself on the subject. IMO, the rifle is a poor design, poorly made and most ae not accurate.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #156

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

when compared to other rifles in the same or near price range, the M770 is by far inferior to the others. yes some of you have gotten some really good groups, but from my experiances with them and many more i have seen personally, the results some of you are getting are anomolies, rather the exception than the rule so to speak. i think if you Google the M770, you will find it has more poor reviews that good ones.

i have seen personally several that couldn't hold a 1 inch group or less at 100 yards. mine wouldn't even hold 2 inches at 100 and many times was closer to 3 inches. not acceptable to me in the least. if any of you are getting the groups that you are happy with and are pleased with the M770 then enjoy it. but if asked i will state my displeasure with it and why and my experiances with them. i will let the facts and evidence speak for itself on the subject. IMO, the rifle is a poor design, poorly made and most ae not accurate.
Which is sad because Remington does make great guns and u would think that even though its a beginning rifle and not to expensive that they would still make it a work horse like the 870 shotgun.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamzow View Post
Which is sad because Remington does make great guns and u would think that even though its a beginning rifle and not to expensive that they would still make it a work horse like the 870 shotgun.
yes it is, because Remington is capable of making some damn good firearms and has a good reputation for doing so. they took the M700 ADL and turned it into the SPS which is their least expensive M700. so they felt the need to make an even less expensive rifle, hence the M770. look at the Marlin X7 series, the Savage Axis series or even the Mossberg ATR100 series. much better built an much nicer looking and all have much better accuracy out of the box than the M770 and are pretty much at or near the same price.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #158
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamzow View Post

Remington is off the mark with the 770, although they do make some great guns. There is a reason the m700 is so popular.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #159

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Not at all. Take a look at the Marlin X7, the Ruger American, the Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500. Sure they aren't fancy and nobody is going to mistake them for an FN sporter or an Anschutz. But they are good solid guns and are MILES ahead of the 770.

The Marlin, Ruger and Weatherby are inexpensive guns. The Rem 770 is a cheap gun.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Not at all. Take a look at the Marlin X7, the Ruger American, the Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500. Sure they aren't fancy and nobody is going to mistake them for an FN sporter or an Anschutz. But they are good solid guns and are MILES ahead of the 770.

The Marlin, Ruger and Weatherby are inexpensive guns. The Rem 770 is a cheap gun.
here's one of my Marlins. an XS7 in 7mm-08 with a Boyd's grey laminate stock. ten times prettier than a M770 could ever be, much better built and much more accurate.
marlin-xs7-7mm-08-003.jpg