Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis. - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BULLET9992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post

It's all good, everyone finds out the meaning of things in their own time.
The only reason it overlaps shots is because I free floated anyway. Mao + was all it did before. When you buy a 770 you don't know what your getting & that's a huge issue.
__________________
BULLET9992 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #132
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992 View Post
The only reason it overlaps shots is because I free floated anyway. Mao + was all it did before. When you buy a 770 you don't know what your getting & that's a huge issue.
well Bullet, i commend you on your shooting. very nice groups indeed. you do seem to have one of the few accurate ones.

what you say about the M770 is true. it's hit or miss on accuracy and more so on miss! my M770 wouldn't even get near a group like yours. the very best i could ever get even with handloads was even over 2" groups. some even over 3". not acceptable to me at all. i have seen the results of a few M770's that were accurate, but they seem to be rare creatures. i even had one person tell me i didn't know how to shoot. hmmmm.... the Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06 i replaced it with would shoot groups like yours, but it had a recoil problem! the M700 in 30-06 i replaced the Mossberg with will shoot groups like yours as well. so will all my other rifles. so i highly doubt i was the problem behind the M770!

as much as i like my Remingtons, they really dropped the ball with the M770. Marlin's X7's, Savage Axis, the Mossberg ATR100, and now the Ruger American. much better choices for an entry level rifle.

i'm glad you got one of the few that works well for you and again, that's really good shooting.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 192 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

Seen too many 770s perform poorly (or not work at all) at the range to ever want one, I would personally rather hunt with a Mosin Nagant or pretty much any other rifle on the planet. Last trip to the range the youngster next to me was trying to shoot a 770 in 270 Win that looked like it just came out of the box, they seemed to be having some trouble cambering a round and after fighting with it for 20 minutes they gave up and left without firing a shot.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #134
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I think the conclusion is that the majority of the 770s are flawed and that there are better rifles in the same price range.

__________________
95sniper is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #135
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I think the conclusion is that the majority of the 770s are flawed and that there are better rifles in the same price range.
i can agree with that statement. and there are some that do perform very accurately just as Bullet's does. and will say this again, i don't care what rifle he used, those are some nice groups!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
godale Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #136
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992

The only reason it overlaps shots is because I free floated anyway. Mao + was all it did before. When you buy a 770 you don't know what your getting & that's a huge issue.
This isn't that bet group I've gotten with mine, but ta the only grouping I can find at the moment. This was with 100gr Power Shocks from Federal. (.243)

Next time I'm at the range, I'll be sure to either save the targets or take a camera with me. I also think the grouping would of been much tighter if I was better on the trigger since you can see the shots have a horizontal stringing to them.
image-4070869905.jpg  
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #137
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BULLET9992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post

This isn't that bet group I've gotten with mine, but ta the only grouping I can find at the moment. This was with 100gr Power Shocks from Federal. (.243)

Next time I'm at the range, I'll be sure to either save the targets or take a camera with me. I also think the grouping would of been much tighter if I was better on the trigger since you can see the shots have a horizontal stringing to them.
Nice groups. Ya, I run a YouTube channel & try to get my shooting on camera. 56 vids & counting
__________________
BULLET9992 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992

Nice groups. Ya, I run a YouTube channel & try to get my shooting on camera. 56 vids & counting
That's cool stuff, I've been thinking about starting my own channel too, I've got an account but hats about it.

Should asked sooner, but how much work was it to free float your 770?
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BULLET9992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post

That's cool stuff, I've been thinking about starting my own channel too, I've got an account but hats about it.

Should asked sooner, but how much work was it to free float your 770?
I used 2 diff sized sockets & sand paper to work down the plastic. 30 min to start. Then put it back together, check clearances, & work it a little more. Maybe 1-2hr total. Worth it though.
__________________
BULLET9992 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992

I used 2 diff sized sockets & sand paper to work down the plastic. 30 min to start. Then put it back together, check clearances, & work it a little more. Maybe 1-2hr total. Worth it though.
That's not to bad then. I've thought about floating the barrel for the pure fact it just seems to make sense, also seems like a good way to slowly start working my way into doing small gun smithing jobs on my own.

I'm just a little curious. You've said that it was worth it, so does that mean you've noticed a good bit of a gain in accuracy?
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Savage Axis .223 BlackBeautyF150 General Rifle Discussion 21 08-09-2012 06:43 PM
Savage Axis vs. Remington 770 vs. Ruger American ninjatoth General Rifle Discussion 14 07-26-2012 10:35 PM
Is thete a Difference between the Axis and the Axis XP by Savage? DerHund15 General Rifle Discussion 3 12-02-2011 07:33 PM
A new Savage Axis for me!! SoupNazi General Rifle Discussion 12 09-23-2011 01:32 PM



Newest Threads