Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-770-vs-savage-arms-axis-85732/)

Zamzow 03-04-2013 04:44 AM

Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis.

Which is a better built rifle. And why. Need advice. Can't decide which to go with.

kaido 03-04-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Which is a better built rifle. And why. Need advice. Can't decide which to go with.

I've got the 770, but I was going for the Axis. It isn't that bad of a rifle as far as a budget one goes. I've gotten groups an inch and under using factory ammunition and with reloads I've brought them down to a steady 3/4" and smaller at times.

One big thing I don't like about it is the bolt, it seems a little to sloppy. When you pull it back and extract the spent casing, it's nice and smooth and sends the case out with no issues. However when you go to close the bolt, if you have to much pressure pushing it in any direction, it won't close near as smooth as it opened. It doesn't take to much pressure either.

That being said though, I do remember getting excited when I seem my second coyote after buying the rifle and jumping out of the tractor to take a shot at it. I managed to fire off all four shots before I even realized I did so.....never noticed the bolt "locking up" from any side ways force.

I've only shot one magazine through an Axis, but everything about it felt nicer to me. Both guns where chambered in .243, also never shot for groups with the Axis either.

ron12301 03-04-2013 09:14 AM

770 vs axis

If I had to pick one from the two it would be the Axis. The sloppy bolt on the 770 is a big turn off for me. That being said why not broaden your search and look at a Ruger American, a Marlin x7, or a Mossberg ATR.

stoppingpower 03-04-2013 09:18 AM

Hated my 770 in 308. After 50 rounds the which magazine blew out of the gun after I took my shot. Not only that but when I went to reload an other round, the whole bolt came out.

Zamzow 03-04-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron12301
If I had to pick one from the two it would be the Axis. The sloppy bolt on the 770 is a big turn off for me. That being said why not broaden your search and look at a Ruger American, a Marlin x7, or a Mossberg ATR.

I was looking at the ruger American. Is that a good rifle.

95sniper 03-04-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamzow (Post 1163062)

I was looking at the ruger American. Is that a good rifle.

I have heard good things about them. They have nice features for a low price. I am looking for one in 308 or 30-06 right now. The guy from gunblast.com was getting sub moa accuracy at 100yds.

95sniper 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

As far as the 770 vs the savage. The savage wins hands down.nutnfancy does a lengthy review of the ruger american were he compares it to the marlin and savage.

greeney 03-04-2013 02:04 PM

What caliber are you looking for? I'm looking at the same few rifles, in 270. One thing I noticed while I wad looking this weekend is the barrel on the savage being much thinner. The Remington was by no means a bull barrel but a fair about thicker. The savage cane with abudhnell achiote that was actually really nice while the Remington was a smaller. scope. The savage was like 400 and the 770 was 549. This was at bass pro Toledo Ohio and they are running a special until the 6th whet you get basically 100 off when you spend 500. Not bad, if only the wife wasn't with me

95sniper 03-04-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeney (Post 1163090)
What caliber are you looking for? I'm looking at the same few rifles, in 270. One thing I noticed while I wad looking this weekend is the barrel on the savage being much thinner. The Remington was by no...bb means a bull barrel but a fair about thicker. The savage cane with abudhnell achiote that was actually really nice while the Remington was a smaller. scope. The savage was like 400 and the 770 was 549. This was at bass pro Toledo Ohio and they are running a special until the 6th whet you get basically 100 off when you spend 500. Not bad, if only the wife wasn't with me

That is too much for a remimgton 770. The ruger american can be had for around $350 and comes in 270. Also check out the marlin x7 series many on this forum recommend it. You can get heavy barrel versions of the x7 as well.

cblowe13 03-04-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95sniper

That is too much for a remimgton 770. The ruger american can be had for around $350 and comes in 270. Also check out the marlin x7 series many on this forum recommend it. You can get heavy barrel versions of the x7 as well.

I just got a Remington .270 at academy for $299