Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770 vs. remington 783

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_lousy View Post
I bought my Remington 770 with a scope for 300 dollars...for a 300 dollar gun with a scope it's great...but it is a 300 dollar gun...is it the best shooter in the world well of course not but to me it is well worth the 300 I paid for it...I have never met anyone who paid 300 for a new gun and expected it to shoot 500 yards with expert accuracy...I can group less than 2" at 300 yards with a pos scope that came with the gun and I'm perfectly happy with that...if I need better accuracy than that I will spend way more than 300 for it...the 770 is a decent little hunting rifle for the price...
Nobody has faulted the 770 for its accuracy, which according to 770 owners, is quite acceptable.

Everybody else faults the 770 for its poor quality, flimsy parts and ugly appearance.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50407

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Nobody has faulted the 770 for its accuracy, which according to 770 owners, is quite acceptable.

Everybody else faults the 770 for its poor quality, flimsy parts and ugly appearance.
actually i do fault it for it's accuracy. the one i owned and the several i shot, were not up to my standards for what i consider to be accurate. Minute Of Deer is not acceptable to me at 100-200 yards. the best i ever got from mine were 2-3" groups at 100 yards with loads i worked up. the old M700 i bought a few years later to be able to replace the missing 30-06 in my collection, with my handloads will group well under 1/2" at 100 yards. the other M770's i shot not much better than the one i owned. at least with poorly accurate or shot out barrel on a M700, you can get it rebarreled. not an option with the M770. i would buy a used M700 vs. a new M770, because with the M700 i at least have something to build on if it weren't accurate.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 190

i have only handled the 783 but for me it shoulders better than the 770. however like the 770 with its price i just think their are better choices for the money. keep in mine i am in ne ohio others prices may vary. sometimes dunhams runs them at 300.00 but the local gander usually prices them around 369.00 for the 770 and 439.00 for the 783. again i just feel there are better choices guns are really like women what u like i might not etc

Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #44

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm some what with Lousy here. I think my 770 is a pretty sweet little rifle, it's also my first "real" rifle that I've owned with out counting my .22 before it, so I might just be bias because of that.

I know it isn't the cats @ss, won't win any long range competitions nor will it be adopted as NATO as the new standard for their long range precision rifles. However mine does exactly what I want it too. With factory ammunition I was able to get groups of just under an inch at 100yards. I would have tried for the 200-500 yard groups, but I just didn't want to take the time nor effort to do so.

With reloads I've got my groups down to under half what I could with factory ammunition with my smallest measuring .437". That's with an FMJ load in a .243. That really surprised the day lights out of me.....partially because I didn't even think I was capable of shooting that well.

As for the construction of the rifle, sure it's cheap. The rifle and scope was around 372.00 when I picked it up. I've replaced the scope with a Tasco since I didn't want the scope costing more then the rifle it's self did. I don't really like the fact the stock feels real hollow nor that the barrel heats up with in ten shots to the point that it'll cause you're groups to reflect that. Could those issues be fixed?

Sure they could, you could do what some have and fill the stock with expanding foam to help get rid of the hollow feeling. As far as the barrel goes, most you could do is go down the channel it rests in and widen it up a bit to get rid of any pressure points that are made once its heated up. But here the thing, if you buy a budget rifle with a cheapo scope already set on it, are you really going to spend you're time trying to get it to shoot 1/4" groups?

You might answer differently, but I'd do what a lot of people have, including a few on here, and look around for a new/new-to-me rifle that isn't going to be in what's essentially the bargain bin of a gun shop.

So in all, I'm in the middle with the whole "screw the 770, get ______" argument.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I'm some what with Lousy here. I think my 770 is a pretty sweet little rifle, it's also my first "real" rifle that I've owned with out counting my .22 before it, so I might just be bias because of that.

I know it isn't the cats @ss, won't win any long range competitions nor will it be adopted as NATO as the new standard for their long range precision rifles. However mine does exactly what I want it too. With factory ammunition I was able to get groups of just under an inch at 100yards. I would have tried for the 200-500 yard groups, but I just didn't want to take the time nor effort to do so.

With reloads I've got my groups down to under half what I could with factory ammunition with my smallest measuring .437". That's with an FMJ load in a .243. That really surprised the day lights out of me.....partially because I didn't even think I was capable of shooting that well.

As for the construction of the rifle, sure it's cheap. The rifle and scope was around 372.00 when I picked it up. I've replaced the scope with a Tasco since I didn't want the scope costing more then the rifle it's self did. I don't really like the fact the stock feels real hollow nor that the barrel heats up with in ten shots to the point that it'll cause you're groups to reflect that. Could those issues be fixed?

Sure they could, you could do what some have and fill the stock with expanding foam to help get rid of the hollow feeling. As far as the barrel goes, most you could do is go down the channel it rests in and widen it up a bit to get rid of any pressure points that are made once its heated up. But here the thing, if you buy a budget rifle with a cheapo scope already set on it, are you really going to spend you're time trying to get it to shoot 1/4" groups?

You might answer differently, but I'd do what a lot of people have, including a few on here, and look around for a new/new-to-me rifle that isn't going to be in what's essentially the bargain bin of a gun shop.

So in all, I'm in the middle with the whole "screw the 770, get ______" argument.
on a whole, the M770 is not a high quality rifle, and more are not accurate by any means. are there accurate M770's? yes, but IMO, and from what i have seen personally, this is the exception rather than the rule.

i was heckled and ridiculed by Lousy for having higher standards in my rifles. i do expect more from my rifles. i do have certain standards that i look for in my rifles. i don't own very many "high dollar" rifles as it was put, but i own many high quality and accurate rifles.

i will not sugarcoat or say anything less than what i think about something, irregardless of how much it hurts someone's delicate sensibilities or ruffles their feathers. i think that as long as i have been here on this forum, that's pretty much been proven. i call it like i see it and so be it. my personal opinion of the M770 is that it's junk. i base this off personal ownership and from shooting several of them and from the negative reviews i have read about them. most are not accurate, the stocks are very flimsy, the bolts are sloppy and bind easily, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling an they are just not very well made rifles. i would buy a Mosin-Nagant before i would ever buy another M770.

and why on earth would i ever recommend or suggest someone buy a new rifle for $300-350 that's inferior, when for the same amount of money they could buy much better rifle used or for a little more, a new rifle that would serve them much better? from a perspective of just using some common sense, i wouldn't.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #46

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I have a young man that I am helping usher into the shooting world. He picked up a Rem 700 SPS Stainless in 243 for $350. The owner bought it and fired it 5 times decided that it was not what he wanted. So he put it for sale in a LGS.

An almost brand new Rem 700 stainless for $350 thats a hell of a deal.

In the entry level Rifle market the Ruger is the best I have shot. It is smoother and more accurate than any of the other offerings. Followed by the Savage then Marlin and in dead last the 770/ 783.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

on a whole, the M770 is not a high quality rifle, and more are not accurate by any means. are there accurate M770's? yes, but IMO, and from what i have seen personally, this is the exception rather than the rule.

i was heckled and ridiculed by Lousy for having higher standards in my rifles. i do expect more from my rifles. i do have certain standards that i look for in my rifles. i don't own very many "high dollar" rifles as it was put, but i own many high quality and accurate rifles.

i will not sugarcoat or say anything less than what i think about something, irregardless of how much it hurts someone's delicate sensibilities or ruffles their feathers. i think that as long as i have been here on this forum, that's pretty much been proven. i call it like i see it and so be it. my personal opinion of the M770 is that it's junk. i base this off personal ownership and from shooting several of them and from the negative reviews i have read about them. most are not accurate, the stocks are very flimsy, the bolts are sloppy and bind easily, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling an they are just not very well made rifles. i would buy a Mosin-Nagant before i would ever buy another M770.

and why on earth would i ever recommend or suggest someone buy a new rifle for $300-350 that's inferior, when for the same amount of money they could buy much better rifle used or for a little more, a new rifle that would serve them much better? from a perspective of just using some common sense, i wouldn't.
That's totally understandable. I had forgotten to mention that the trigger is defiantly far from the best and that the bolt binds incredibly easy. If I had more time in the store I was in (got there as they where closing apparently), I would of done some more digging around.

As it turns out though, I've got one of the few cherries from the batch of lemons they seem to be producing in regards to these rifles. If I could Axxe, I'd let you shoot mine just to "prove" they aren't all such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
I have a young man that I am helping usher into the shooting world. He picked up a Rem 700 SPS Stainless in 243 for $350. The owner bought it and fired it 5 times decided that it was not what he wanted. So he put it for sale in a LGS.

An almost brand new Rem 700 stainless for $350 thats a hell of a deal.

In the entry level Rifle market the Ruger is the best I have shot. It is smoother and more accurate than any of the other offerings. Followed by the Savage then Marlin and in dead last the 770/ 783.

Man....I would have LOVED to come across a deal like that. I would even consider dropping shooting my SKS for a while just to spend the ammunition money on that rifle.

Picture is of the groups shot with the FMJ loads.
image-756848538.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #48

Kaido, i don't doubt you or the fact that your M770 is accurate. but with what i have seen myself and have read, yours is in the minority, and not the majority. personally, i will stick with a platform of rifle that has a proven track record. pretty muck if i buy a bolt action Remington, it will be a M700.

if i buy a used M700 for say, $250-350, and it's not accurate because the barrel is shot out or i just can't get ecent groups even with handloads. in the least, i still have an action i can rebarrel. that alone makes it worth the price.

with a M770, if it's inaccurate and i can't get decent groups even with handloads, then i have two choices, either live with it's inaccuracy or sell it. because there is nothing that can be done to improve it. i know i have tried.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
Kaido, i don't doubt you or the fact that your M770 is accurate. but with what i have seen myself and have read, yours is in the minority, and not the majority. personally, i will stick with a platform of rifle that has a proven track record. pretty muck if i buy a bolt action Remington, it will be a M700.

if i buy a used M700 for say, $250-350, and it's not accurate because the barrel is shot out or i just can't get ecent groups even with handloads. in the least, i still have an action i can rebarrel. that alone makes it worth the price.

with a M770, if it's inaccurate and i can't get decent groups even with handloads, then i have two choices, either live with it's inaccuracy or sell it. because there is nothing that can be done to improve it. i know i have tried.
Makes sense. But I put the money on the counter and after the paper work was done is when my buddy told me about the cheese ballness of the rifle. If I'd of known i defiantly would of upped the money for the Axis that was beside it.

I'm glad I got lucky though.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Makes sense. But I put the money on the counter and after the paper work was done is when my buddy told me about the cheese ballness of the rifle. If I'd of known i defiantly would of upped the money for the Axis that was beside it.

I'm glad I got lucky though.
we old timers have a saying, "even a blind squirrel will find an acorn every once in awhile".

consider yourself lucky you got one that was accurate. but when buying rifles, i don't want to put my money down on blind luck of the draw. better to spend just a bit more and go with something that's got a much better or proven track record. i know there are rifles that have a greater potential for being accurate.
People Like This