Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770 vs. remington 783

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,090
Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

I would not consider either one! I would recommend saving for a 700 instead of jumping the gun and getting something of lesser quality. You will probably be wanting to keep it for years. So if that is true purchase quality.

03

__________________

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Sniper03 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes. i can. not rushing my shots and using loads i worked up for that particular rifle. i don't try to just send shots downrange as fast as i can. i am looking for accuracy, and not quantity of my shots. pretty much any one of my rifles can achieve this. heck, even my 17 HMR can do it.

IMO, the 770 is a poor excuse for a rifle, and there are many better options of rifles in the same price range that are much more accurate and well made than the 770. i am stating an opinion based on past experiances with them and nothing more. if you feel a 4" group at 100 yards is acceptable, then fine. it's not for me and never has been. between my family members that shoot, my friends that shoot and myself, i can probably lay my hands on at least 50 rifles that will shoot 1/2" groups or smaller at 100 yards, 10 shots or more.
That's great honestly haven't had a rifle down to 1/2 inch maybe it's me maybe it's the scope don't know I've owned ar 15, even savage .223 got down to like 2 inch I'd say. The most accurate at 100 is def ar I'd say and that's a Walmart scope! That scope is actually amazing considering the clarity and zoom capability. Just a question off topic what is the most reliable rifle you have ever shot at 100 yards? Axxe
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,227
Liked 20934 Times on 11892 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
That's great honestly haven't had a rifle down to 1/2 inch maybe it's me maybe it's the scope don't know I've owned ar 15, even savage .223 got down to like 2 inch I'd say. The most accurate at 100 is def ar I'd say and that's a Walmart scope! That scope is actually amazing considering the clarity and zoom capability. Just a question off topic what is the most reliable rifle you have ever shot at 100 yards? Axxe
i do alot of reloading and am very anal about my reloading. consistency is one of the big factors in making accurate ammo and getting the true potential accuracy out of any firearm. plus i do lots shooting. putting a lot of time behind the trigger does alot of making a person a better shooter. i do alot of my own gunsmithing on my rifles.

when i purchase a rifle, i look for ones that have the best track record of being accurate. i dropped the ball big time on that one when i bought that 770! instead i bought it because it was cheap and i wanted another 30-06 to shoot. big mistake on my part and i should have known better. i lost money on that rifle, because i sold it for less than i paid for it. but was glad to be rid of it. i ended up buying a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 that was very accurate with loads i worked up for it, but was very brutal in recoil. i ended up trading it for a 44 Mag. pistol and then bought an old Remington M700 in 30-06 that i rebuilt into a very nice looking and accurate rifle.

most reliable rifle at 100 yards? not understandding what you're asking with that question.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

I wouldn't even touch one of those 770 or the 783. If you want a budget hunting rifle. Savage and Ruger have it covered with the axis and american. Either one of those will serve you a long time.

1/2" shoot my hunting rifles do that. I have guns that will shoot 1/2" at 500 yards easy. Then again those cost about as much as 15 or 20 770s. I have an ad that will stack 80gr bergers in a 1/4" group at 100 yards.

I just helped a friend pick up a Remington 700 SP's stainless for his sons first hunting rifle. He paid $325 plus tax for that one.

__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,227
Liked 20934 Times on 11892 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I wouldn't even touch one of those 770 or the 783. If you want a budget hunting rifle. Savage and Ruger have it covered with the axis and american. Either one of those will serve you a long time.

1/2" shoot my hunting rifles do that. I have guns that will shoot 1/2" at 500 yards easy. Then again those cost about as much as 15 or 20 770s. I have an ad that will stack 80gr bergers in a 1/4" group at 100 yards.
add the Marlin X7 series in there too! i personally like the Marlin better, but it's a personal preference and not any type of disrespect to Ruger or Savage. the ruger American is still relatively new and not plentiful in my area yet, so i have had no dealings with it other handling a couple at my LGS. the Savage Axis, i highly recommend this rifle for others, but this rifle just doesn't shoulder or fit me well, but is a very accurate rifle and i have shot a few in differnet calibers, and it's very well made and decently priced.

and as much as i like my Remingtons and i have many, i will not ever buy another M770 again. Remington dropped the ball on this rifle big time. i will hold any opinions on the M783 until i actually at least handle one or get the opportunity to shoot one.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 507
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Looked at a 783 yesterday, it looks like the bastard child of a Savage and a Tikka, if it shoots half as good as either one of them I will be impressed but being a Remington I doubt it. The receiver looks very Tikkaish and the barrel nut looks like it just came off a 110.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
godale Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: n. canada
Posts: 77
Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
add the Marlin X7 series in there too! i personally like the Marlin better, but it's a personal preference and not any type of disrespect to Ruger or Savage. the ruger American is still relatively new and not plentiful in my area yet, so i have had no dealings with it other handling a couple at my LGS. the Savage Axis, i highly recommend this rifle for others, but this rifle just doesn't shoulder or fit me well, but is a very accurate rifle and i have shot a few in differnet calibers, and it's very well made and decently priced.

and as much as i like my Remingtons and i have many, i will not ever buy another M770 again. Remington dropped the ball on this rifle big time. i will hold any opinions on the M783 until i actually at least handle one or get the opportunity to shoot one.
It's posts like these that will, hopefully, get the ear of the conglomerate now controlling Remington!

I'm tired of just doing nothing as a great old institution goes down the drain, 770 by 770.
__________________

Last edited by 6_5swedeforelk; 06-24-2013 at 04:27 AM.
6_5swedeforelk is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,227
Liked 20934 Times on 11892 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
It's posts like these that will, hopefully, get the ear of the conglomerate now controlling Remington!

I'm tired of just doing nothing as a great old institution goes down the drain, 770 by 770.
after some of the great firearms that have come from Remington, the M770 is shameful. especially looking at some of the others offerings in the entry level rifle market. the Marlin X7 series, the Savage Axis series, the Ruger American series, and so on. all of them being decently accurate, well made, some even with adjustable triggers, pleasing to look at and still affordable. yep, Remington dropped the ball big time with the M770! huge disappointment.

with so many fine firearms designs that have come from them over the years, i know they can be capable of much better. the newest Remington i own is my R1 Enhanced 1911 and it's simply beautiful to look at, shoot great and is very accurate. quite a huge difference when comparing it to a M770. i also have a new bare M700 receiver awaiting a barrel, and it's dang near perfect.

Remington is a fine old company, that needs to get back to making quality firearms and quit worring about the beancounters and trying to just make production numbers. if they don't, they will become nothing more than a memory like many other fine old firearms makers have. that would be shame to me, to see that happen.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
crowell33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winchester,Virginia
Posts: 6
Default

The 770's are garbage, plain and simple.

I shot a 783 a few weeks ago and it's impressive. Much better job than the 770.

__________________

Chuck Norris just got back from Pakistan.

crowell33 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: n. canada
Posts: 77
Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I wouldn't even touch one of those 770 or the 783. If you want a budget hunting rifle. Savage and Ruger have it covered with the axis and american. Either one of those will serve you a long time.

1/2" shoot my hunting rifles do that. I have guns that will shoot 1/2" at 500 yards easy. Then again those cost about as much as 15 or 20 770s. I have an ad that will stack 80gr bergers in a 1/4" group at 100 yards.

I just helped a friend pick up a Remington 700 SP's stainless for his sons first hunting rifle. He paid $325 plus tax for that one.
Wow, 1/2" groups at 500yds.
My reactions are swinging between amazed and dubious!
Not knowing your credentials I must concede that you have rifle set-up, reloading, wind reading and shooting down to a science! You would even agree with me that if a super-long range rifle were sighted in at a north-facing target, it would be off shooting south.
My only long shot was at a huge silver-grey timber wolf at 600yds. I could not get any closer, he had me pegged. My shot hit the snow on a rise 25yds short. The wolf loped to the kicked up disturbance. I raised the 6.5 about 4" and aimed for the shoulder. I hit him in the neck but hey, I'll take'em any way I can!
__________________
6_5swedeforelk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Trading remington 870 Express for a Remington 700 VTR (223) Tingstad General Rifle Discussion 3 04-26-2013 04:23 PM
Remington 770 vs. Remington Model 700 ndtiger General Rifle Discussion 18 08-29-2012 03:54 AM
1903s: Remington Arms or Remington Typewriter? RufusTFirefly Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-28-2011 05:49 AM
Remington Model 760 in 35 Remington Leatherlung General Rifle Discussion 2 12-07-2010 07:43 PM