Remington 770 vs. remington 783 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 770 vs. remington 783

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk
Collector... only reason I can see for you buying a Rem 770 is if you plan your collection in the POS catagory!

Looking for a budget great shooting rifle? It's spelled SAVAGE.
A good shooting ugly ass rifle maybe.

I would take a Venture or Vanguard over a Savage any day of the week.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
A good shooting ugly ass rifle maybe.
That's all I require from a rifle.

I guess that I'm not infatuated with the looks of guns... thats why God made women!!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
The 770 deserves it's place at the bottom of the food chain, I know way too many people who own one and they all hate them. I would imagine that the 783 would HAVE to be better because it is hard to imagine a rifle any worse, I don't plan on finding out though I don't want another Remington they have been nothing but headaches for me, Freedom Group has ruined them IMHO.
Apex, several of here on the forum a couple of years ago did determine the 770 could always be used as a jack handle!
HankStone Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

That's all I require from a rifle.

I guess that I'm not infatuated with the looks of guns... thats why God made women!!
Funny stuff there. Just busting your chops.

I just can't own any firearm that doesn't shoot good AND be pleasing to my eye. Just the way I'm built.

But then again , I've been with some real unatractive women, so I guess I'm just weird.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #15

Liked 72 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
Funny stuff there. Just busting your chops.

I just can't own any firearm that doesn't shoot good AND be pleasing to my eye. Just the way I'm built.

But then again , I've been with some real unatractive women, so I guess I'm just weird.
No, not weird at all (yr taste in guns, not women)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For example, the AR family that EVERYBODY is gaga over... IMHO they have about as much appeal as the dismantled ABS plastic drainpipe sections that you see discarded behind plumbing shops!
Hey, don't bother posting your objections, I know them already.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts

The 770 is an embarrassment for Remington, or at least it should be. Steaming pile of junk. I wouldn't have one if it were free. There's no excuse for having one because there are plenty of decent rifles that shoot as well or better for the same price.

I haven't had a chance to take a 783 apart yet so I'll withhold judgement, but it has to be an improvement over the 770.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #17

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:

Your own words have condemmed the rifle.
Your groups have IMPROVED to 4" @100yd ! I would reject a rickety M94 30-30 with open sights with that grouping.

The 100 rounds in 1 day, all fired in sighting in?

My advice is to leave it in your vehicle & hope someone steals it.
Watch that the thief doesn't return it next day!
Def not fired while sighting in only took a few for that was just saying kept on shooting with hot barrel still never had a problem! Well considering it is a pos scope as well ill take the 4 inch groups

Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Def not fired while sighting in only took a few for that was just saying kept on shooting with hot barrel still never had a problem! Well considering it is a pos scope as well ill take the 4 inch groups
any rifle that could not achieve anything better than 4" groups at 100 yards would never be in my collection. not one rifle do i own presently more than 1/2" at 100 yards.

you would probably have been very happy with the 770 i owned then. with handloads, i got it down to about 3" groups at 100 yards. i guess your idea of accurate rifles differs from mine.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #19

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

any rifle that could not achieve anything better than 4" groups at 100 yards would never be in my collection. not one rifle do i own presently more than 1/2" at 100 yards.

you would probably have been very happy with the 770 i owned then. with handloads, i got it down to about 3" groups at 100 yards. i guess your idea of accurate rifles differs from mine.
So your telling me you can take ten shots and be all at 1/2"? And let me know what rifle that is and scope! I mean not saying its not possible as I have my ar within an inch but I think that's great! The 4 inch isn't amazing but for my purpose of hunting deer at mostly within 100 yards it is perfect for $300 in my opinion! I no longer own my .270 bc of hunting with the ar but I never had a problem with it! Was your bolt sticky or have any problems besides tight groups?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
So your telling me you can take ten shots and be all at 1/2"? And let me know what rifle that is and scope! I mean not saying its not possible as I have my ar within an inch but I think that's great! The 4 inch isn't amazing but for my purpose of hunting deer at mostly within 100 yards it is perfect for $300 in my opinion! I no longer own my .270 bc of hunting with the ar but I never had a problem with it! Was your bolt sticky or have any problems besides tight groups?
yes. i can. not rushing my shots and using loads i worked up for that particular rifle. i don't try to just send shots downrange as fast as i can. i am looking for accuracy, and not quantity of my shots. pretty much any one of my rifles can achieve this. heck, even my 17 HMR can do it.

IMO, the 770 is a poor excuse for a rifle, and there are many better options of rifles in the same price range that are much more accurate and well made than the 770. i am stating an opinion based on past experiances with them and nothing more. if you feel a 4" group at 100 yards is acceptable, then fine. it's not for me and never has been. between my family members that shoot, my friends that shoot and myself, i can probably lay my hands on at least 50 rifles that will shoot 1/2" groups or smaller at 100 yards, 10 shots or more.
gunnut07 Likes This