Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 770 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-770-a-98117/)

angryhart 10-03-2013 11:42 PM

Remington 770

Anyone have any experience with this rifle. I've heard all the negatives and why, but I had a chance to shoot one today and was rather pleased with its accuracy. The bolt is a bit yuck and the magazine seems pretty shoddy but it was accurate. Felt good and shouldered well. It's not gonna be a super sniper or win any beauty pageants or win anything at camp perry, but I put 40 rds thru it and only one hiccup, but that was my fault I didn't seat the magazine the whole way. I'll bet a deer wouldn't know the difference between it and a 700.

Axxe55 10-04-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryhart (Post 1391761)
Anyone have any experience with this rifle. I've heard all the negatives and why, but I had a chance to shoot one today and was rather pleased with its accuracy. The bolt is a bit yuck and the magazine seems pretty shoddy but it was accurate. Felt good and shouldered well. It's not gonna be a super sniper or win any beauty pageants or win anything at camp perry, but I put 40 rds thru it and only one hiccup, but that was my fault I didn't seat the magazine the whole way. I'll bet a deer wouldn't know the difference between it and a 700.

they are junk. i owned one once and have shot several of them. sloppy and binding bolts, gritty and heavy triggers, and a flimsy stock.

there are much better choices out there at the same price or close to it. check out the Marlin X7 series, the Savage Axis series, the Mossberg ATR100 series, the Ruger American or the Remington M783.

then there is always used rifles. i have bought many used ones that need a little attention that shot great.

there just are much better choices than a M770.

angryhart 10-04-2013 01:30 AM

I'm aware of the better options. But after checking out a few shops the better options ran another $200. I was only looking for something for my kid to use. He's a brand new hunter, but not a new shooter. He's not too bad a shot. Only I may gouge and scratch my rifles. The 770 he can go and drop in a lake and it won't break my heart. And at $225 if it lasts him 5 years it's worth it. Hell if it last him 2 years it's worth it. Don't wanna invest big money just yet. I want to make sure he sticks with it and enjoys shooting sports.

Axxe55 10-04-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryhart (Post 1391877)
I'm aware of the better options. But after checking out a few shops the better options ran another $200. I was only looking for something for my kid to use. He's a brand new hunter, but not a new shooter. He's not too bad a shot. Only I may gouge and scratch my rifles. The 770 he can go and drop in a lake and it won't break my heart. And at $225 if it lasts him 5 years it's worth it. Hell if it last him 2 years it's worth it. Don't wanna invest big money just yet. I want to make sure he sticks with it and enjoys shooting sports.

then look into buying used. there are a few of the M770's that are accurate, but they are the exception to the rule, not the norm. mine the best i could get it to group, was 2-3" groups @ 100 yards. i replaced it with a Mossberg ATR100 in the same caliber and could easily get .5" groups @ 100 yards. my present 30-06 i ended up replacing the Mossberg with can do .5" groups with ease. sometimes even smaller.

nchunt101 10-04-2013 04:09 PM

Look at one of the H&R single shot rifles. They are well withing your budget, are accurate, well made and will last a lifetime. Plus if you find a used one you can put some decent glass on it.

Apex-Predator 10-05-2013 03:03 AM

Disposable rifles are always a bad idea, I have bought quality firearms for little more then what a 770 costs. Savage makes a darn good rifle for under $300.

bntyhntr6975 10-05-2013 05:01 AM

The only 770 I have any experience with is the .270 the brother in law has. Not the smoothest bolt or trigger, but not bad either. Factory Rem ammo was grouping little over an inch, handloads brought it down to 5/8. For the cost, he has no complaints. It has only seen probly 200 rounds in the 4 years (approx) that hes had it. It would be nice if a better stock was available but its usable.
Im sure there are some better and some worse 770s out there.

95sniper 10-05-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1391791)

they are junk. i owned one once and have shot several of them. sloppy and binding bolts, gritty and heavy triggers, and a flimsy stock.

there are much better choices out there at the same price or close to it. check out the Marlin X7 series, the Savage Axis series, the Mossberg ATR100 series, the Ruger American or the Remington M783.

then there is always used rifles. i have bought many used ones that need a little attention that shot great.

there just are much better choices than a M770.

Exactly, first of all not every 770 is bad, but there are the exceptions. I have dealt with a couple that have issues ejecting and jamming. The bolt wasn't smooth, ect.

It may not be that they are all that bad, but like axe said, you can do so much better in that price range.

kryptar19 10-05-2013 06:23 AM

The 770 is crap. Sorry if I step on some toes.

First of all, the receiver is not properly hardened.
On top of that the barrel is pressed and pinned in. Then there is the bolt, that feels like pushing a lead pipe into a rusty tail pipe when you close it.

I still can't understand why someone would buy a 770, There are so many better rifles for the same price.

On top of a low quality gun you get terrible customer service.