remington 770
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 770

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Default remington 770

So my brother was all excited about getting his Remington 770 today, went through the process background check and it all cleared. Did the purchase and was ready to walk out of the store when he handed me my credit card( i let him use my credit card he was short on the money). The assistant manager asked to see the card he payed with, so i handed it back to him and the manager looks at us and tell us that wasn't a legal transaction.... So we come back home and read through some forums read through the straw purchase law, and no where can we find that the way we did our transaction was illegal... so this brings me to my question. 1 Am i able to pay for the rifle even if he went through the back ground check not me.? 2 He is the "owner" of the rifle even if he's using my money to pay for it.?

__________________
gomez3143 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,195
Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

If the card was in your name then it is an illegal transaction.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gearhead396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 945
Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
If the card was in your name then it is an illegal transaction.
Really? That doesn't make Sense so would it technically be illegal to hand your friend cold hard cash I mean money is money. I have used my parents cards in the past on guns with no issue I was bout to tell the op there shouldn't be an issue.
__________________

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

gearhead396 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Yes, parents can buy guns for their children. if you are under 18, he must be the one to fill out the form 4473 at the dealer and undergo the NICS check.

If you are over 18, the gun must be transferred to you directly, but its OK if the money comes from another bank account......


i found this in another forum.. and my brother filled out the 4473 all i did was let him use my card

__________________
gomez3143 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NotMormon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ogden,Utah
Posts: 415
Liked 164 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default

Three letters come to mind.......ATM

__________________
NotMormon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,747
Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Default

You were within the law, it falls under the "gift" clause of the straw purchase law. I see this often with my customers.

__________________
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

another point to consider, is if the FFL feels the transaction isn't right, then they can decline the transaction. the FFL holder was within his rights to decline the sale he felt was wrong whether it was or it wasn't.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez3143 View Post
Yes, parents can buy guns for their children. if you are under 18, he must be the one to fill out the form 4473 at the dealer and undergo the NICS check.

If you are over 18, the gun must be transferred to you directly, but its OK if the money comes from another bank account......


i found this in another forum.. and my brother filled out the 4473 all i did was let him use my card
and just because you read it on another forum that makes it legal? was it a forum with lawyers who deal with federal and state gun laws?

i guess you believe everything you read on the internet?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez3143 View Post
So my brother was all excited about getting his Remington 770 today, went through the process background check and it all cleared. Did the purchase and was ready to walk out of the store when he handed me my credit card( i let him use my credit card he was short on the money). The assistant manager asked to see the card he payed with, so i handed it back to him and the manager looks at us and tell us that wasn't a legal transaction.... So we come back home and read through some forums read through the straw purchase law, and no where can we find that the way we did our transaction was illegal... so this brings me to my question. 1 Am i able to pay for the rifle even if he went through the back ground check not me.? 2 He is the "owner" of the rifle even if he's using my money to pay for it.?
It was not technically an illegal purchase unless there is some local ordinance we aren't aware of. I think the dealer was covering his ass for the next visit from the feds.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
JimRau Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
and just because you read it on another forum that makes it legal? was it a forum with lawyers who deal with federal and state gun laws?

i guess you believe everything you read on the internet?
no i don't believe everything online i used it as an example because it was something similar to my situation.
__________________
gomez3143 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 770 vs. Remington Model 700 ndtiger General Rifle Discussion 18 08-29-2012 03:54 AM
Remington 521-T and Remington 521-T Junior Cat1870 General Rifle Discussion 4 07-24-2012 03:21 PM
1903s: Remington Arms or Remington Typewriter? RufusTFirefly Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-28-2011 05:49 AM
Remington Model 760 in 35 Remington Leatherlung General Rifle Discussion 2 12-07-2010 07:43 PM