Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   remington 770 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-770-a-88128/)

gomez3143 04-04-2013 02:10 AM

remington 770

So my brother was all excited about getting his Remington 770 today, went through the process background check and it all cleared. Did the purchase and was ready to walk out of the store when he handed me my credit card( i let him use my credit card he was short on the money). The assistant manager asked to see the card he payed with, so i handed it back to him and the manager looks at us and tell us that wasn't a legal transaction.... So we come back home and read through some forums read through the straw purchase law, and no where can we find that the way we did our transaction was illegal... so this brings me to my question. 1 Am i able to pay for the rifle even if he went through the back ground check not me.? 2 He is the "owner" of the rifle even if he's using my money to pay for it.?

robocop10mm 04-04-2013 02:46 AM

If the card was in your name then it is an illegal transaction.

gearhead396 04-04-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
If the card was in your name then it is an illegal transaction.

Really? That doesn't make Sense so would it technically be illegal to hand your friend cold hard cash I mean money is money. I have used my parents cards in the past on guns with no issue I was bout to tell the op there shouldn't be an issue.

gomez3143 04-04-2013 03:00 AM

Yes, parents can buy guns for their children. if you are under 18, he must be the one to fill out the form 4473 at the dealer and undergo the NICS check.

If you are over 18, the gun must be transferred to you directly, but its OK if the money comes from another bank account......

i found this in another forum.. and my brother filled out the 4473 all i did was let him use my card

NotMormon 04-04-2013 05:09 AM

Three letters come to mind.......ATM;)

kryptar19 04-04-2013 05:33 AM

You were within the law, it falls under the "gift" clause of the straw purchase law. I see this often with my customers.

Axxe55 04-04-2013 07:57 AM

another point to consider, is if the FFL feels the transaction isn't right, then they can decline the transaction. the FFL holder was within his rights to decline the sale he felt was wrong whether it was or it wasn't.

Axxe55 04-04-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomez3143 (Post 1202423)
Yes, parents can buy guns for their children. if you are under 18, he must be the one to fill out the form 4473 at the dealer and undergo the NICS check.

If you are over 18, the gun must be transferred to you directly, but its OK if the money comes from another bank account......

i found this in another forum.. and my brother filled out the 4473 all i did was let him use my card

and just because you read it on another forum that makes it legal? was it a forum with lawyers who deal with federal and state gun laws?

i guess you believe everything you read on the internet?

Doc3402 04-04-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomez3143 (Post 1202380)
So my brother was all excited about getting his Remington 770 today, went through the process background check and it all cleared. Did the purchase and was ready to walk out of the store when he handed me my credit card( i let him use my credit card he was short on the money). The assistant manager asked to see the card he payed with, so i handed it back to him and the manager looks at us and tell us that wasn't a legal transaction.... So we come back home and read through some forums read through the straw purchase law, and no where can we find that the way we did our transaction was illegal... so this brings me to my question. 1 Am i able to pay for the rifle even if he went through the back ground check not me.? 2 He is the "owner" of the rifle even if he's using my money to pay for it.?

It was not technically an illegal purchase unless there is some local ordinance we aren't aware of. I think the dealer was covering his ass for the next visit from the feds.

gomez3143 04-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1202556)
and just because you read it on another forum that makes it legal? was it a forum with lawyers who deal with federal and state gun laws?

i guess you believe everything you read on the internet?

no i don't believe everything online i used it as an example because it was something similar to my situation.