Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 770

I've heard that the action on this rifle is pretty bad, Anyone own one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

The 770 is of course Remington's budget rifle. While the 770 will undoubtably do a lot, they are an economy line rifle. There are some things Remington did on the 770 in order to cut price, but in my opinion you will still get a rifle that functions well in almost any hunting situation you will find yourself in.

Although the action differs from a 700, the barrel is well built and accurate. The stock is comfortable, but not very durable. For hunting and shooting it less than maybe 10-20 times a year, it will probably last and serve you well and produce some nice groupings with a decent scope. If your gonna be using it for shooting competition, putting a considerable amount of rounds down the barrel each year, IMHO...No.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

I don't own one and wouldn't take one if it were offered to me for free. I have handled them and took one apart once. I was appalled that Remington would offer a rifle with such shoddy workmanship. Whether it will function well enough to kill game is immaterial; what matters is that there are FAR better rifles offered for a similar price.

Look to Savage and Marlin.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #4

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I joined a shooting club several years ago....try to take 4 rifles to the range at least one day a week to shoot and chat with my fellow shooters. I've seen a lot of Remington rifles there, but don't recall ever seeing a 770 or its predecessor. I spent most of this morning at range and gent I often shoot with began talking about his experience with a 770, which was not a good one. Basically, a friend had asked him to do a trigger job on one....something he is quite adept at doing with a rifle. Like earlier poster related, he was not happy with what he saw when taking apart the rifle. Make a long story short, he'd buy a Stevens 200, Marlin XL/XS or Mossberg ATR before he'd buy a Remington 770. Mind you, he is not a Remington hater, owns a .260 Remington rifle he ordered from their custom shop.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #5

Thanks guys im probably going to get a Weatherby VG1 or a Mossberg ATR
100 in .270 or .308, There both at Academy here in Tulsa.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Thanks guys im probably going to get a Weatherby VG1 or a Mossberg ATR
100 in .270 or .308, There both at Academy here in Tulsa.
I can vouch for the Weatherbys, they're great rifles on a strong and safe action. The action is made by Howa in Japan and features a two-position safety and a fluted bolt with twin locking lugs. The synthetic stocks are durable enough for a few years hard use but I recently upgraded mine to a B&C Carlson. I do also have a mate who has a wood-stocked Vanguard in .308 with a stainless barrel and it looks and shoots amazingly. Recoil is stout but definitely manageable.

I thoroughly endorse your choice