Remington 770 .308 *HELP*
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 770 .308 *HELP*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Remington 770 .308 *HELP*

Many of you reading this will feel compelled to tell me what a POS this gun is... you need not worry, I've already read all the reviews. But, I would love to hear about any way you have figured out how to modify it. I want to put a new stock on it (preferably one with a pistol grip) and possibly even some sort of picatinny rails toward the forend for a spring loaded bi-pod. any suggestions would help!
as always, Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Guess you could try to contact - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-770-thumbhole-stock-/320656381724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa89c 171c

He made thumhole stocks

Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Boyds might be able to help you with a stock. You would have to fill out a request form. There are adapters available that attach to your swivel stud and there are bipods that attach to the swivel stud. You could also attach a scope base to the bottom of the stock if you want a rail.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-08-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Not trying to discourage you. Just looking out for your best interest. Save your money and buy a rifle you like. You are not going to recover your money for the stock if you want to sell the 770. I would keep the original stock in case you want to sell the 770. I have shot several 770's myself I don't know why everyone knocks them. With a 4x scope I can drill golf balls 200 yards away with a 770. I don't think the haters are shooting that well without a rest.

Watch the sales at brownells, midway usa and ebay. You will find a nice stock for the money you want to spend. You will like a thumb hole stock that fits your hand much more than a stock with a pistol grip. Laminate stocks are heavier than the composite stocks but laminate stocks shoot much better. You can find a laminate thumb hole stock for around $120 without a lot of effort.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I keep reading that, because the barrel and action are press-fitted it will be hard to replace the stock. Does anyone have opinions or experience that suggests otherwise? Also, I love the gun, I think it's great. I only made my first comment because I know that my thread title reading "Remington 770 *HELP*" would attract some people who do not like the gun. As far as me wanting to change some stuff around on it... Well, I just want to do that because I'm bored with the way it looks. I can't really decide if I want to turn it into a wooden stocked gun that looks like your grandpa's rifle, or sport it up a bit and through some more tactical looking stuff on it. Either way, I just need(ed) some help figuring out where to start. CTD didn't have hardly anything and they are my main go to...
Thanks again