Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 7600 any good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-7600-any-good-72467/)

Davey_boi 09-15-2012 01:25 PM

Remington 7600 any good?

Has anyone had any experiences with a Remington 7600 pump action? I bought one in .308 that had a misaligned receiver and although I like the gun, I'm a little hesitant to get another.

The problem was I couldn't sight the scope in as it ran out of adjustment. The store sent it back for repair and after 5 weeks I got my money back.

Aside from that the trigger was a bit spongey and the quality was a little poor (flow lines in the synthetic stock from molding, front sight loose).

I don't want to write off this rifle so I'm hoping I just got a bad one. Would love to what other people think of the rifle.

hardluk1 09-15-2012 02:02 PM

I think you might have got'n a bad rifle but thats the problem over the last couple years with remington. The design as not lacking it just what remmy is producing today. I would also avoid buying another remmy anything today. Try to find a older use model or a browning blr or finally make the shift to a bolt rifle.

robocop10mm 09-15-2012 02:37 PM

The Remington pump and semi-auto centerfire rifles are good hunting rifles. They are NOT Browing BAR's. They generally shoot 2" groups at 100 yards (give or take a bit). They have a shotgun like trigger mechanism that has hook like sear engagement surfaces rather than flat surfaces. They are difficult to make crisp.

I have a 7400 that is a good shooter (not great, but good). I do not expect it to still work after 2000 rounds w/o an overhaul.

bigjim 09-16-2012 02:41 AM

I would look for an older model too.

This is a 1989 model 7600 in 30-06, shoots very well.

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/SAM_0239.jpg

USEBOTHHANDS 09-16-2012 02:44 AM

i've never really known any "pump-action" rifles to perform that well.

getchu an older bolt-action. in today's market, you have your pick of the litter, so to speak. :D

jeepejeep 09-16-2012 02:48 AM

I have one that I bought in 30-06 in the mid 80's that I love. Best group I ever shot with it using handloads that it likes was just under an inch from the bench at 100 yards. I really took my time as I wanted to see what it is capable of. Usually I can shoot 1 1/2" all day with it, never a malfunction, a lot of deer fallen to it. To me, a great gun.

hiwall 09-16-2012 03:45 AM

the ones I have shot surprised me with their accuracy. better than many bolt guns. they were older ones though. I was surprised considering that the barrel is not solid in the receiver.

locutus 09-16-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 942523)

getchu an older bolt-action. in today's market, you have your pick of the litter, so to speak. :D

Good advice. I've never been impressed with either the 7400 auto or the 7600 pump.

Another excellent option, albeit a bit more expensive, is the Browning semi-auto BAR ll. Quality is really excellent, accuracy is as good as most bolt actions, and it's beautiful rifle that will give you braggin' rights!:D:D

HockaLouis 09-18-2012 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My older Rem pump, whose action has some advantages, is a fine enough gun in .308. Better than average accuracy. The carbine's are probably a tad more accurate with their effectively stiffer barrel.

dteed4094 09-19-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 942523)

I have a 760 that I haven't touched the cheap Bushnell scope that wason the gun when I bought it over 25 years ago. It shoots 1 MOA 1 inch high at 100 yds. It's amazingly accurate. I only ever had one problem when the action froze up in an ice storm (my bad).