Remington 742 vs 760?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 742 vs 760?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default Remington 742 vs 760?

OK, ok! I know you are probably rushing in to tell me "gamemaster any day over the jam-master!" However it isn't that easy for me. First off, these guns are both my dads. He is wanting to hand one down to me. He gave me both guns and told me to shoot them and pick the one I want. The other goes to my brother. The 742 is a .243 and the 760 is a .308. They both have fair scopes. He bought them new in the late 70's and both appear to have had very few rounds through them. The 742 looks like new and the 760 is just a notch down from that as it went elk hunting a couple of times. I am not a hunter at all but there are times that coyotes need to know they are getting too close to my house and family. And I like shooting with my friends once in a while on a nice day. So I would not use it a lot. I shot both last weekend and they both shot great. I shot a tighter grouping with the .243 auto even though it is not supposed to be better than the 760. I suppose that is because the auto doesn't beat on a guy so much. I had some friends that are good shots. They shot both guns and they had similar results. I'm not unhappy with the 760, rather very impressed with the 742. I was actually leaning towards the 760 gamemaster to go with my 870 pump wingmaster shotgun BEFORE shooting them. After shooting I was thinking the .243 auto would be perfect for knocking down the occasional coyote not having to think twice about my shoulder when pulling the trigger Then I had to go and search both guns and found a lot of negative things on the 742. So what would it be for you: Toughen up and get better with the 760 or just enjoy the 742, keep it clean and hope for the best?

Thanks
Adam

__________________
clone is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone View Post
OK, ok! I know you are probably rushing in to tell me "gamemaster any day over the jam-master!" However it isn't that easy for me. First off, these guns are both my dads. He is wanting to hand one down to me. He gave me both guns and told me to shoot them and pick the one I want. The other goes to my brother. The 742 is a .243 and the 760 is a .308. They both have fair scopes. He bought them new in the late 70's and both appear to have had very few rounds through them. The 742 looks like new and the 760 is just a notch down from that as it went elk hunting a couple of times. I am not a hunter at all but there are times that coyotes need to know they are getting too close to my house and family. And I like shooting with my friends once in a while on a nice day. So I would not use it a lot. I shot both last weekend and they both shot great. I shot a tighter grouping with the .243 auto even though it is not supposed to be better than the 760. I suppose that is because the auto doesn't beat on a guy so much. I had some friends that are good shots. They shot both guns and they had similar results. I'm not unhappy with the 760, rather very impressed with the 742. I was actually leaning towards the 760 gamemaster to go with my 870 pump wingmaster shotgun BEFORE shooting them. After shooting I was thinking the .243 auto would be perfect for knocking down the occasional coyote not having to think twice about my shoulder when pulling the trigger Then I had to go and search both guns and found a lot of negative things on the 742. So what would it be for you: Toughen up and get better with the 760 or just enjoy the 742, keep it clean and hope for the best?

Thanks
Adam
Welcome to ftf, sounds like your mind is made up , if all you plan to do is wack a yote here an there enjoy the 243. If u are gonna get serious an go after deer an big stuff then the 243 will work as well but is less in the horsepower dept.
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

The 742 Jam Master earned its name primarily in 30-06. I had one and all I can tell you is, great deer rifle, but don't shoot it a lot, 742s tend to beat themselves up and replacement parts are hard to come by. Keep the bore super clean using a bore-snake. Better design for the caliber you have

__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyleytxrialover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: kyletx,texas
Posts: 318
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
The 742 Jam Master earned its name primarily in 30-06. I had one and all I can tell you is, great deer rifle, but don't shoot it a lot, 742s tend to beat themselves up and replacement parts are hard to come by. Keep the bore super clean using a bore-snake. Better design for the caliber you have
This i had one in .308 did a little research. The 742 is good for about 1500 rds.
Till it tears it self apart. But in the high side there is a place in MN. That takes the 742 in semi and turns it into a pump action for about 279.00
Then no more worries. I will find it when i get off work
__________________

i have seen the light

kyleytxrialover is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleytxrialover View Post
This i had one in .308 did a little research. The 742 is good for about 1500 rds.
Till it tears it self apart. But in the high side there is a place in MN. That takes the 742 in semi and turns it into a pump action for about 279.00
Then no more worries. I will find it when i get off work
Yeah I got rid of my 742 because the receiver tracks were getting "scalloped". It was only a matter of time until it would get off-track. I'm lucky enough to live 45 minutes from that place you mention: (Ahlman's), it's a great gun store and shooting facitlity

www.ahlmans.com
__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,438
Liked 2261 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Default

The 243 is a very accurate round in most actions and it has less recoil than the 308. The 308 might take a little more work to find an accurate load for your particular rifle. I had one 308 rifle that absolutely would not shoot 165 grain loads with any degree of accuracy. With the history of the 742 I would stay away from it and get a good recoil pad and as you stated, it is a match for your 870. There are reduced recoil loads available for the 308.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

JTJ is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,259
Liked 2935 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Default

Much of the problem with the Remmy auto loaders is you canno take them apart to thoroughly clean them. Take out the trigger group and flush the receiver with gun scrubber. Work the action and flush again. Let it run down the barrel til it flows clean. Use a bore snake to clean the bore and leave a very thin coat of oil in the barrel. Properly lube the action and you will extend the life of the gun.

The other problem is rust in the chamber. It is easy to neglect the chamber. Clean well and leave oil in the chamber. These guns would get used once or twice a year, fired 5 times and put away improperly cleaned/lubed. They would develop chamber pitting. Much of the bad reputation comes from neglect.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,111
Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default

^^^This is probably what happened to my dad's gun's chamber^^^^

My dad had a 742, it is now mine as he passed away, it is a 30-06, his never had action problems and he had it for years and shot the heck out of it, but it did develop something in the chamber which unless the gun is cleaned every 5 ot 10 rounds will start grabbing the casings not allowing them to eject, then of course it jams and you need a cleaning rod to hammer the casing out of the chamber. I have the 30-06 in model 7600 which is the more modern version of the 760, this has always been my go to gun for deer. I prefer the pump I like how it handles and both will shoot well enough to kill a deer or coyote, there are horror stories on the 742 and I tend to believe them, these Remington auto deer rifles simply aren't built to withstand the amount of use of a good quality AR or other semi auto "battle rifle", however in 243 it MAY be more reliable from a standpoint of shooting a smaller round, however this may mean it will simply take a little longer to wear out than a gun shooting a high power round. I personally would take the 308 as it likely will not fail and the 308 is also a very accurate round, maybe that gun just didn't like that particular ammo, but any 760 308 SHOULD shoot well enough to hit a coyote at reasonable range. Also 308 ammo is really common, when people aren't hoarding it.

__________________

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012


Last edited by blucoondawg; 01-22-2013 at 05:51 PM.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,864
Liked 6230 Times on 3505 Posts
Likes Given: 5825

Default

You cannot clean a gun with a boresnake.

You may think you you're cleaning it, but in reality, you're wasting your time.
Clean youe weapon PROPERLY and it will last a long time.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeepejeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 695
Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

I don't know much about the 742 but I've had a 760 for almost 30 years and love it. Never any problems at all and very accurate.

__________________

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

jeepejeep is offline  
blucoondawg Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 770 vs. Remington Model 700 ndtiger General Rifle Discussion 18 08-29-2012 04:54 AM
Remington 521-T and Remington 521-T Junior Cat1870 General Rifle Discussion 4 07-24-2012 04:21 PM
1903s: Remington Arms or Remington Typewriter? RufusTFirefly Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-28-2011 06:49 AM
Remington Model 760 in 35 Remington Leatherlung General Rifle Discussion 2 12-07-2010 08:43 PM