Remington 700's - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
I was wrong on some of the source material I used. I would have edited the post, but it won't let me.

The magazine source was "Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal" March 2011 Volume 43, Number 2, ISSN 0162-3593, Issue No. 255

The article was "Original Black Kenny Jarrett and the Bean-Field Evolution" by Terry Wieland.

On page 29 it says: "Having demonstrated the potential of the Remington 700, Jarrett abandoned it in 1997. The problem was, the actions coming out of the Remington plant were not what they once were. Just as the machinery for the Winchester Model 70 had worn out by 1962, leading to the redesign of the action and retooling of the plant, Remington's production line was also becoming rickety.

'I just can't guarantee accuracy with new 700s any more,' Jarrett told me at the time, and illustrated the point with several horror stories about slipshod tolerances and triggers installed at odd angles. Looking back, Jarrett said, 'I don't really know the cause of the problem, whether they were trying to make too many to fast, or what, but the quality was no longer there.'"

The article goes on to say Jarrett will still use older Remington actions, Winchester Model 70, or Weatherby Mark V's, if supplied by a customer, reserving his right to refuse if he does not like the action.

Again, not trying to restart an old fight, I just wanted to get my facts strait, and a chance for everyone to understand why I don't care for Remington 700s.
tooling will wear out or they make minor changes in the design. these things happen, but i will say this, quality control should be checking them and they should never be released and sold but scrapped. i bought a bare Remington M700 receiver from Brownell's last year for a custom built rifle, and it is an excellent example of Remington quality. rifles are no different than anything else that is mass produced, if demand is high, then they sometimes ramp up production to supply that demand and sometimes quality can slip. i can see your point of view, and please understand mine, other than the one Remington M770 i bought several years ago, thinking it was an economy version of the M700, i have never had any bad experiances with Remington rifles or shotguns. i will go on and say this, the blueing on the older ones was much nicer looking, even on the cheaper ADL line. so if you like the Winchester M70 over the M700, nothing wrong with that, because the M70 is still a very fine rifle. i like most bolt action rifles and own many different brands of them.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I should never have said all Remington's are garbage, they have been proven as good rifles. I'm happy for anyone that finds a good rifle and enjoys using it. They're just not for me.

No hard feelings to anyone who disagrees, just wanted to set the record strait.

Axxe55, you proved throughout our discussion that not only do you know what your doing but also you're a cool enough guy to put facts before agenda and not get personal, and you have my thanks for that.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
I should never have said all Remington's are garbage, they have been proven as good rifles. I'm happy for anyone that finds a good rifle and enjoys using it. They're just not for me.

No hard feelings to anyone who disagrees, just wanted to set the record strait.

Axxe55, you proved throughout our discussion that not only do you know what your doing but also you're a cool enough guy to put facts before agenda and not get personal, and you have my thanks for that.
nothing wrong with your choice of rifles there Mod70, i too like Winchesters. if everyone liked the same thing, then there wouldn't be the choices and different brands out there and it would be a truly boring world. my choice of vehicles has been Dodges for many years now, but nothing wrong with Ford or Chevrolet trucks, but i prefer a Dodge truck over the rest, just my choice and what i like. i came real clese last year to buying a new Ford truck but ended up with another Dodge, just because of the price and options. and i did like the Ford.

we just need to understand we have the right to an opinion, and sometimes opinions are based on personal experiance. my personal experiance with the Remingtons goes back many years and many, many Remington rifles over the years. Kenny Jarrett builds custom rifles and as such, he may expect a different level of quality to be able to build a rifle to meet the expectations of his customers. still doesn't mean that they are bad, just not up to the level of quality he needs to build his types of custom rifles.

don't worry Mod70, it's all good and i don't take things said on a forum as personal and get mad about it. my skin gets thicker everyday!