Remington 700's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 700's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
oldtymer, nice looking Remingtons there! i too have always liked the Winchester M70, as it is very fine rifle. the Remington M700's are in their own right very nice rifles and a pleasure to shoot also. i enjoy accurate and well built rifles in general especially bolt actions.
Exactly, I don't own a m70 but my pops does in 30-06 and it is a dream to shoot. Like you said I love all guns as long as they are accurate and built well.
This baby shoots half MOA on a good day
image-1323670485.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

i'm not bad mouthing Winchester M70's, as they are very fine and accurate rifles, and i own one. but seriously, you don't know jacks#@t about Remington M700's! i own four of them, ranging in old to newer, and they all are very fine performing and accurate. i have two of them with triggers adjusted down to under 3 lbs. and one has it adjusted to just under 4 lbs. self-firing? you must be refering to the ones where some jake-leg, wannabe, thought he was a gunsmith adjust the trigger and didn't perform the proper safety function tests. that where that urban myth comes from and frankly, i'm really sick of hearing it. bolt handle breaking? well that's a new one i have never heard before! i think after owning and shooting them for almost 40 years, i would have heard this one, but no, i haven't. must be another urban myth. Remington or Savage can't match the accuracy of a Winchester? what rock have you been under for so many years. both Remington and Savage both have excellent reputations for fine accuracy out of the box. also both are made right here in the United States, just as the Winchester M70 is. you need to start putting your brain in gear, before engaging your mouth! because with a post like that, you really sound like a troll. saying you like the Winchester and prefer it over the Remington and feel that it suits you needs better, would go much futher and carry more weight.

image-1290437286.jpg

Here's a Remington bolt.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
Attachment 42887

Here's a Remington bolt.
well i suppose one in a million failure could happen. looks like the bolt handle wasn't properly welded to the bolt. but this is hardly any sort of Remington only failure. i have seen it on Mauser bolt handles too in the past. i thought you said bolt handle breaking, that' not broken, it has seperated at the bolt where they are attached, and has happened to many bolt action rifles, not just Remington, and has probably even happened to a few Winchesters too. a good gunsmith could fix that in a couple of hours, and if the rifle was under warranty would be fixed for free by Remington. so your point is what?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That Remington is garbage. Custom shops go through the expense of building their own actions instead of using Remington. Just ask Kenny Jarret, Gunwerks, or Greybull.

One in a million? Well, my own brother has welded 3 back together this year, and it's April 2 today. Why do they break? They were silver soldered together. Tell me in all honesty if that doesn't say cheap to you. And these were 2 BDL and a CDL. How's that for an "urban legend?"

So are we really going to discuss the model 700 or are you going to keep trying to shout me down? Do you want to be 30 miles back in the hills on a trophy hunt and have your Remington fail you? I don't want anyone to have to go through that, so to help the OP I gave him my honest assessment of the 700. They are crap. If they are accurate at all, it is in spite of their design, not because of it.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #15

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

We have and have had in the past many R700s come through our hunting party of 20+ guys and have never had a problem with them failing or being inaccurate. I have heard of the bolt handle problem with Remington 788s but have guys hunt with us who use them as well and have never had that problem. My buddy has a heavy barrel 223 R700 which is capable of shooting 5 shot groups at 100yds of .23 of an inch with the proper hand loads, whether the accuracy is in spite of the design or because of the design I for one don't care, accuracy is accuracy. The model 70 is also a fine rifle though I currently don't own one

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the stainless, fluted barrels. They look great. Seems like every year they bring out a new commemorative CDL, and often they sport the stainless barrel and engraved floor plate.

Scope one up with a nickel scope and you have a great looking combination.

Remington 700's - General Rifle Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Fluted barrel looks great.. If its on a synthetic stock an not twice the price of a reg SPS id look into one for sure..
I do love my Sps it shoots better than i can n i adjuated the trig n floated it myself years ago when i was 18.. Carrying it round now for Fallow!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
That Remington is garbage. Custom shops go through the expense of building their own actions instead of using Remington. Just ask Kenny Jarret, Gunwerks, or Greybull.

One in a million? Well, my own brother has welded 3 back together this year, and it's April 2 today. Why do they break? They were silver soldered together. Tell me in all honesty if that doesn't say cheap to you. And these were 2 BDL and a CDL. How's that for an "urban legend?"

So are we really going to discuss the model 700 or are you going to keep trying to shout me down? Do you want to be 30 miles back in the hills on a trophy hunt and have your Remington fail you? I don't want anyone to have to go through that, so to help the OP I gave him my honest assessment of the 700. They are crap. If they are accurate at all, it is in spite of their design, not because of it.
better check your facts about your statements. Kenny Jarrett does build his own actions, but will build them using Remington M700's and Winchester M70's. Greybull uses M700's for their builds, says right on their website! Gunwerks builds theirs from billet steel, which in turn makes for a very good action that is strong and true, but at $7400-10,000 for a rifle, it better IMO have a billet steel action that is handmade!

silver soldered is how most of them are welded together. sounds to me, you and your brother are having some other problems when in turn are breaking bolt handles. as i said before, i have had many M700's over the years, know many others, and we don't seem to have any problems.

and you haven't given anyone an honest assessment as the Remington M700 has a very proven record. if they are such crap, then explain why the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Coast Guard, the Secret Service and many police departments use sniper rifles either from Remington or built on Remington M700 actions? do you honestly believe that they would send these people into harms way with inferior crap? i don't believe they will. so your argument as usual hasn't any merit.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #19

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Before you buy a bolt handle breaking, self-firing, 8 pound trigger pull, round bottom recievered, sandwiched recoil lugged Remington, I'd take a long hard look at a Winchester Model 70.

4 pound MOA trigger that feels like 2, controlled round feed, forged and machined integral recoil lug, flat bottom receiver that resists twisting inside the stock during firing, blade type ejector giving you full control of fired cases, and guaranteed MOA accuracy out of the box that Remington or Savage can't match. Made 100% in the USA at the FN plant in Columbia, South Carolina.
Please chill out.

I own a 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. and a 70 in .300 H&H. Both are outstanding
weapons and both are tack drivers.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

better check your facts about your statements. Kenny Jarrett does build his own actions, but will build them using Remington M700's and Winchester M70's. Greybull uses M700's for their builds, says right on their website! Gunwerks builds theirs from billet steel, which in turn makes for a very good action that is strong and true, but at $7400-10,000 for a rifle, it better IMO have a billet steel action that is handmade!

silver soldered is how most of them are welded together. sounds to me, you and your brother are having some other problems when in turn are breaking bolt handles. as i said before, i have had many M700's over the years, know many others, and we don't seem to have any problems.

and you haven't given anyone an honest assessment as the Remington M700 has a very proven record. if they are such crap, then explain why the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Coast Guard, the Secret Service and many police departments use sniper rifles either from Remington or built on Remington M700 actions? do you honestly believe that they would send these people into harms way with inferior crap? i don't believe they will. so your argument as usual hasn't any merit.
Looks like my facts were correct--you even said so.

Twist my statement however you like, there bolts are garbage. If they wanted them to work they would have welded them to begin with.

Why do you Remington honks always fall back on the military using them, and in the next breath talk about how stupid and cheap a lot of their decisions are? And don't you dare try to twist that to me saying our brave men and women are stupid.

Speaking of that, Winchester are better anyway. Built to ISO 9001 quality.

So take a midol, calm down, and think about it. Remington still sucks.