You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 700 XHR 300 WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I find them to be added weight that is just not justifiable by actual field us.

Yea, that's my main concern. An extra pound to my rifle doesn't really appeal to me, especially, as well balanced as this weapon is without it.
I may just go the shooting stick way. Sure, I'll still have to carry it, but, I gotta have my knives and such anyway, so.....

Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #12

Liked 830 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 921

I'm at a loss for words here, I know that is odd. You have a Nikon scope, not mounted. You are looking at 500 yards or less and thinking of moving west. Are you serious! My best success on Elk was in Colorado in the early '80's useing a 12ga bolt gun. 35 yards was the norm. I moved back east and then moved to the North country. Sold the 12ga and bought a 1916 GEW98 that was sportered and had a receiver sight. Moved up to a 7mm Rem Mag, I was going to be the ultimite Deer/ Elk/ Bear slayer. It was not fun any more. I still own the 7mm Rem Mag, but it only comes out on certain occasions. I enjoy the hunt for what it is. It is not a long range pissing contest. 400 yards, I'm good with that if it is the last chance. Normally, 200 yards or less. I'm not the great white hunter, never will be. But, I'll have fun, enjoy the day, and put meat on the table. I really like waterfowl hunting better. Drink Coffee, smoke, BS with friends and unload when they fly in.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You have a Nikon scope, not mounted. You are looking at 500 yards or less and thinking of moving west. Are you serious! My best success on Elk was in Colorado in the early '80's useing a 12ga bolt gun. 35 yards was the norm.
Actually, the scope is mounted.
And, the critters here must be a bit more skittish than the ones in CO.
If I'm 35 yards from one of these whitetails, it's because it jumped out in front of my truck.
I do prefer bird hunting though. The grouse and turkey around here are pretty challenging.