Remington 700 XHR 300 WM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 XHR 300 WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700 XHR 300 WM

I have recently purchased a Remington 700 XHR 300WM rifle.
I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, and was looking for some advice on ammo and accessories. I have a pretty good Nikon 3x18 scope, but I'm gonna need a bi-pod. Most of the ammo at our local Gander Mountain seems to be 150 grain, unless you go for the $65/box stuff.

Also, up until now, the largest caliber rifle I've shot was probably that M-60 I played with back in the late 70's.
Anything I should know before I squeeze the trigger?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The 300 Win. Mag. in a hunting rifle configuration has a considerable bit more of felt recoil compaired to .308 Win. or 30-06. If your going to use it for hunting, and only squeeze a few shots off a year you should be fine. However, if you intend to target shoot it on a regualr basis (60 to 80 rounds in each shooting session) you could consider a muzzel brake and a better recoil pad than the factory has on it. You may also consider a better trigger, if target shooting, such as a Timney or Jewell. Also barrel life is about 1200 to 1500 rounds tops.

I've just shot out the Krieger barrel on my 300 WM target rifle and am having the Melonite process done to the new barrel. They say it doubles the barrel life.

For ammunition I've reloaded my own using the Berger # 30419 210gr. BTHP bullets, however, I have had good luck with the factory Black Hills 190 gr. target ammunition. They are using the 190 grain Sierra Match King bullet in the Black Hills ammo. For hunting the 180 grain AccuBond bullet appears to works good.

For the bi-pod I am using the Harris BRS type which connects to the QD stud on the factory forestock. I will be using the Atlas BT-10 bi-pod soon which will require about a 2" piece if Picatinny rail mounted to forestock. Regardless try to keep your bi-pod height as low as you can for accuracy. I also use a couple of different TAB Gear rear bags for supporting the butt of the stock while in unsupported prone off of bi-pod. You may also want to consider a cheek weld pad or a logger head mod done to yout stock for improved cheek support while using a scope.

Last edited by mrm14; 09-17-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Yes, this will be a hunting rifle.
Probably only go through a box or two a year.

I was also considering using a "shooting stick" instead of having a bipod attached all the time.
I've never used one of those, so if anyone has,
please let me know what you think.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadomunkey View Post
I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, and was looking for some advice on ammo and accessories. I have a pretty good Nikon 3x18 scope, but I'm gonna need a bi-pod. Most of the ammo at our local Gander Mountain seems to be 150 grain, unless you go for the $65/box stuff.

Also, up until now, the largest caliber rifle I've shot was probably that M-60 I played with back in the late 70's.
What are you hunting and at what distances?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
What are you hunting and at what distances?

Right now, I'm just hunting deer, mostly 500 yards and in.

The plan is to move out west, where I'll be after larger Elks and such critters, at 600 yards or better.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:

The plan is to move out west, where I'll be after larger Elks and such critters, at 600 yards or better.
As a general rule 150 is great for deer, antelope and smaller, and 180 for elk, bear, moose etc. .300 WinMag is a wonderful cartridge with a lot of versatility built in. One thing though the distances you are mentioning 500-600 and longer are NOT for the faint of heart. Once you go over 300-400 yards all sort of goofy stuff starts affecting your ability to stay on target. I'm not saying it's not realistic, just saying that you have to practice a LOT and know your rifle and ammo VERY well to make ethical kills at those distances.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:

I've yet to find one hunting situation in which a bipod came in handy except for varmint shooting from a bench or truck hood. Shooting sticks are interesting but you are better off learning to shoot from the classic field positions like prone, seated etc.

The .300 will come back at you pretty quick so make sure the scope is mounted at the longest eye relief possible and shoot the gun a few times standing up so you can get used to the recoil before you head for the bench. Make sure you snug it up to the shoulder before touching it off. It's not a monster like my light .338 WinMag but it will leave you with some interesting scope induced scars if you crawl up on it to much.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies and the info.

Back when I wore green clothes, and marched in a straight line, I was pretty good with a rifle. They even gave me medals for it.
That being said, I'm not as steady as I once was. Thus the thought of a bipod.
200 yards or less, I'm still dead on in either the prone, kneeling, or sitting position, but, I've become a bit shaky going longer distances or standing.

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and the info.

Back when I wore green clothes, and marched in a straight line, I was pretty good with a rifle. They even gave me medals for it.
That being said, I'm not as steady as I once was. Thus the thought of a bipod.
200 yards or less, I'm still dead on in either the prone, kneeling, or sitting position, but, I've become a bit shaky going longer distances or standing.

Anyway, thanks again!
I understand, my comments had nothing to do with your abilities as much as the actual usability of attached bipods in field conditions. I find them to be added weight that is just not justifiable by actual field us. I prefer resting my rifle on my backpack and I have had some experience with shooting sticks and I think they are a lot more user friendly thatn bipods so I would probably go that route if I needed that type of rest for my hunting conditions.

Thanks for your service and great hunting!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21289 Times on 12078 Posts
Likes Given: 53062

Quote:

my suggestion would be to reload your own ammo for this beast. you will be able to fine tune loads that will take advantage of the accuracy that rifle can achieve. plus on my own magnum rifles, i have found that my reloads are more accurate and have less felt recoil than the factory ammo. plus to be able to shoot the distances that you might hunt in, means lots of trigger time and at $65 a box for premium ammo, it's going to be expensive to shoot that rifle. just my suggestion, enjoy that nice rifle.