Remington 700 and Winchester 70(Pre '64):What are Pros & Contros?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 700 and Winchester 70(Pre '64):What are Pros & Contros?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Remington 700 and Winchester 70(Pre '64):What are Pros & Contros?

I would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of each weapon/design.
NOTE:This is not a "What rifle is the best?" thread.I just want to know the strong and weak points of each one(E.g. Problems that I may encounter while shooting it).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Had a 700 a while back my issues were poor fitment of stock and action. The problem that lead me to getting rid of it however was that i found it easy to get catridges hung/stuck under the feed rail of the receiver and magazine. I think its a poor design in that respect as its not conducive to loading easily under stress or in the dark or by feel.

All the current winchester 70's are made by fn, feature cold hammer forged barrels and a nice modern trigger control round feed and are bedded realllllllllllly well. I think they are higher quality than the originals although the wood is not as nice as older models. Your not going to have a problem with a current production winchester 70

If you want a push feed savage or mossberg is where you should look.

Remington products in my opinion are not very good. I just havent seen a remington product this century ive been impressed with.

Just my opinions.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4473

I think the biggest difference is push feed vs control feed? The control feed is going to feed more reliably and that's why dangerous game hunters in general prefer it. The pre 64 Winchester is control feed and it's action is just a very robust design. The push feed is still reliable just not quite as reliable, and personally I don't think the action is as smooth on a push feed. The advantages of the push feed is that they are simple and you can just drop one bullet in and close the bolt. With a control feed you have to put the bullet in the magazine and then close the bolt. It's nice at the range to be able to just drop a bullet in.

Push feed rifles generally cost less because there are fewer parts and they are easier to make. That's why Winchester went to push feed actions in '64. A lot of people were going to Remington because the M700 was cheaper and Winchester was trying to stay competitive. Sort of like the economy rifles today gaining such a big market share and the Remington M700 being seen as an expensive gun.

Personally I like both. I have several Remington 700's that I love and I have a new Winchester model 70 on the way built to the pre 64 design. Personally I think the pre 64 Winchester is the best bolt action ever from a design standpoint. I think of it as almost art in terms of it's engineering. In terms of pure function I don't think there is that much difference between the Model 70 and Model 700?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The winchester 70 action you can drop a round in and it will close. You do not need to feed from the magazine
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

Hm...thanks everyone for the response.
As far as I can understand, the Winchester has a more solid and reliable-feeding action, but the Remington has a smoother one.

What rifle would you prefer to use in a stress situation?
What about the barrel of each rifle?What's the max reachable range with iron sight(E.g. to hit a man-sized target in the center of the mass)?Maximum effective range?
What kind of load should I use to maximize the rifle accuracy?
Is there any kit to make them accept even detachable mags?

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 12-16-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The remington is not smoother than the winchester by any stretch. A model 70 is like butter on butter smooth.

My wife runs a bolt action savage in 308 with a ten round box. She alawys gets setup then takes the magazine out to shoot deer. A long box mag is a detriment on a bolt gun in my opinion.

Even on my scar17 i use a shorty 10rounder for most hunting.

I think the perfect action is the old 1903springfield with mag cutoff. Just cutoff the full mag and drop in rounds one at a time. Can always turn it on if needed. Still a mauser action control feed. Im building one up now with a criterion barrel in 30-06

308 or 30-06 will serve to 1000yards

Im not a pushfeed fan.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The remington is not smoother than the winchester by any stretch. A model 70 is like butter on butter smooth.

My wife runs a bolt action savage in 308 with a ten round box. She alawys gets setup then takes the magazine out to shoot deer. A long box mag is a detriment on a bolt gun in my opinion.

Even on my scar17 i use a shorty 10rounder for most hunting.

I think the perfect action is the old 1903springfield with mag cutoff. Just cutoff the full mag and drop in rounds one at a time. Can always turn it on if needed. Still a mauser action control feed. Im building one up now with a criterion barrel in 30-06

308 or 30-06 will serve to 1000yards

Im not a pushfeed fan.
Noted.So tell me:What action whould you choose to build a military grade sniper rifle?Let's assume that the budget is not a problem and that the action must pass successfully enviroment tests(reliability)and must hit a target at 800-1000m?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Wellllll. My goto zombie war sniper one gun fun is the scar17... Put in geiselle superscar trigger mi keymod hand guard vltor stock nightfirce 2.5-10 blue force sling and your good to go.

With bolt action i would get a fn spr and go from there. They are built off mod70 actions with detachable mags that dont protrude

Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #9

Liked 229 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quality and design is considerably better on the Winchester model 70.

The Remington model 700 has more aftermarket stuff for it, and you don't have to be as good a gunsmith to tweak it, so there's more people who know how to work on them.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im not against push feed rifles by any stretch. i just do not think the remington current production is very good.

i think the mossberg mvp series is very interesting with the readily available ammount of both stanag 556 and sr25/m14 pattern magazines