Remington 700 vs Savage model F 10 FCP .308 - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 vs Savage model F 10 FCP .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

No use responding to attitude. Anyway I'd still pick the savage action over the 700. :-P

Old 06-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #62
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I'm not upset. I just don't like the attitudes of many here because again I like what I like. I can afford to spend $4k building a 1k yard varmint rifle. Then top it with a $2500 scope.

Like I said a custom gun is one I sit down with my smith for an hour or two and we hash out what exactly I want it to do. What parts I want to use or what my smith says will work better. We go through everything even the dimensions of the chamber and how I want my dies cut.

Replacing a barrel on a gun is just that rebarreling it. It doesn't make it custom.

I like my stocks cut to a specific length or pull. I change barrel taper and length for specific uses. I don't always use the same trigger either. Everything is built to the purpose intended for that rifle.

If you take a remington 700 action and blue print it add a new barrel, new stock, new trigger. That is still just a semicustom because you are using a factory action.
IMO there are different levels of custom, but when you start changing parts on a rifle, or anything for that matter, it's really not factory or stock anymore. if you even simply rebarrel a rifle in an oddball caliber or one the factory never offered in that particular rifle, it's still a custom rifle IMO.

even if Hillbilly used a factory action, screwed a new barrel on it, and restocked it to his liking, that rifle IMO is still custom built. he did it rather than the factory or a gunsmith. IMO, who does the work is irrelevent. it's till not a stock factory rifle anymore.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07

I'm not upset. I just don't like the attitudes of many here because again I like what I like. I can afford to spend $4k building a 1k yard varmint rifle. Then top it with a $2500 scope.

Like I said a custom gun is one I sit down with my smith for an hour or two and we hash out what exactly I want it to do. What parts I want to use or what my smith says will work better. We go through everything even the dimensions of the chamber and how I want my dies cut.

Replacing a barrel on a gun is just that rebarreling it. It doesn't make it custom.

I like my stocks cut to a specific length or pull. I change barrel taper and length for specific uses. I don't always use the same trigger either. Everything is built to the purpose intended for that rifle.

If you take a remington 700 action and blue print it add a new barrel, new stock, new trigger. That is still just a semicustom because you are using a factory action.
So your saying that the guns built by P.O. Ackley and the rest post WWII, on blue printed Mauser 98 actions, with hand fitted stocks, and purpose bored chambers aren't custom?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #64
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
That is not a custom gun. It is an aftermarket barrel screwed on to a factory action.

I like using Stolle actions. They are hand crafted with care. They have 2 oz triggers and stocks fitted to my specific measurements. With custom paint. I also have my smith make a set of dies specific to each rifle. I don't understand why I am a bad person because I like something different than most people? It is getting a little tedious here.
Don't get your rope tied in a knot,Gunnut.

First off,that action is a Savage Varmint action.A special made action for Northland Shooters Supply,the only place you can get one,and it is trued by the owner Jim Briggs,as well as the barrel nut is one of Jim's trued barrel nuts.It also has the Savage Target Accu-trigger which can be adjusted down to a couple ounces too.
While it is in a Choate Tactical stock right now,I can adjust the length and comb height to suit me,and it is. Hell,If I so desired,I could have my best friend custom paint the $hit out of it for free,but I have no desire for that.
I'm putting this barreled action in a Manners T5A stock when I get some projects out of the way,so that's about as custom a stock as you can get.

I don't think you are a bad person for liking the custom components that you use in your custom rifles. Stolle actions are top shelf products.
Hell,I always enjoy reading what you type.
But don't think that the products that I use in the rifles I put together are any less accurate because they cost less than yours.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle to have one that shoots good,you just have to use good components,and put them together correctly.

THB
Old 06-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #65

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sweet topic

Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #66

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Don't get your rope tied in a knot,Gunnut.

First off,that action is a Savage Varmint action.A special made action for Northland Shooters Supply,the only place you can get one,and it is trued by the owner Jim Briggs,as well as the barrel nut is one of Jim's trued barrel nuts.It also has the Savage Target Accu-trigger which can be adjusted down to a couple ounces too.
While it is in a Choate Tactical stock right now,I can adjust the length and comb height to suit me,and it is. Hell,If I so desired,I could have my best friend custom paint the $hit out of it for free,but I have no desire for that.
I'm putting this barreled action in a Manners T5A stock when I get some projects out of the way,so that's about as custom a stock as you can get.

I don't think you are a bad person for liking the custom components that you use in your custom rifles. Stolle actions are top shelf products.
Hell,I always enjoy reading what you type.
But don't think that the products that I use in the rifles I put together are any less accurate because they cost less than yours.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle to have one that shoots good,you just have to use good components,and put them together correctly.

THB
THB I like you man. Would love to do some shooting with you sometime.

Still not a custom gun (Semicustom to me) but Red apples to Green apples. It sure does shoot good and that's what matters most. But, its still UGLY man... LOL:P

Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #67
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
THB I like you man. Would love to do some shooting with you sometime.
But, its still UGLY man... LOL:P
Thanks brother,It would be an honor to shoot with you.

PS,I resemble that remark!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinky
Whats your opinion on these two long range rifles bolt action rifles, just looking for some feed back, right now im really into some bolt action rifles and just want to be pointed in the right direction?!
Hi:
Virtually both rifles present problems and opportunities concerning becoming a great shooter. Everyone talks about the Remington receiver as being king. If it's a king it's because more gunsmiths work on Remington's and this receiver has more after market parts/additions than all competitors. Remington barrels are hammer forged and chambered at extremely high speed. Remington receivers almost always are helped dramatically by having a gunsmith "blueprint" the action which exactly trues the bolt/lugs into the receiver. Another trick is to remove, by cutting a few threads from the receiver end of the barrel and re-chambering the last fraction of an inch into the leads. The last thing is to crowne the barrel. I have a Remington 700 V heavy-barrel which had the above performed by Bruce Dow/Dade City Fl. With a Nosler 168 gr BT HP load it shoots virtually into the same hole at 100 yards.

The Savage has an advantage in the higher quality of their barrels. Some people love the barrel bolt for ease of change and some think it's ugly. The actions probably need the same blueprinting. Some love the trigger and some hate it. Many change the Remington stock triggers to custom. I own various bolt action rifles and find buying/finding a tack-driver not the normal occurrence. One needs to carefully reload to be in the position to know if they have a tack-driver or not. (Or spend $2-3 per shot to buy premium match ammo)

Good-shooting

Dan