Remington 700 vs Savage model F 10 FCP .308 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 vs Savage model F 10 FCP .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I really don't see what the pissin match is about. Yes,Remington's Quality has been hit on for a while,but they still build a great rifle.
Savage makes a great rifle in the 10/110 series,but I wouldn't have any of their entry level stuff.The Marlin X series is a much better rifle than the Savage in that dept.
Howa,CZ,Tikka,Thompson Center,Winchester and Browning all make excellent rifles.
To say that a particular brand of rifle is junk,is a pretty stupid comment. Everyone makes lemons,and some models are junk,but not every model from a certain brand is.

As with anything in this world,You get what you pay for. If you buy an entry level version of a particular model of rifle and expect to shoot a new world's record group,you're probably not going to do it. The cheaper the price,the cheaper the components that were used to assemble the weapon.
Guy's bitch about the entry level Savage/Remington stocks,but don't want to pay the extra $300-800 for the same rifle that has a top of the line stock on it. You want a cheap rifle,you got one.
I've got a big stack of those tupperware stocks out in my shop,that's the first thing I do on almost any rifle I buy-Upgrade the stock.

It's a fact of life-Put a good stock,trigger,and quality optics on a rifle,and the damn thing will shoot good!
well said Hillbilly and quoted for truth. most rifles will outshoot the owner of it.

anything mass produced in great numbers can have a bad one from time to time. and that's just a fact of life and why reputable companies have a warranty.

i personally won't b***h about the stock, because i am very bad about changing them to one that's more my liking! or i will modify it to my liking if possible.

personally, i like bolt actions to begin with, and those Savages i have shot in the past were pretty dang accurate, but it's shame they just don't fit me well. and if i run across a Savage that's decently priced for customizing, then there is always the option of putting it into an aftermarket stock that fits me better. another thing about the Savages, that is an advantage over some of the others is the ability to do a lot of work without the aid of a lot specialized tools like the others and the need of a gunsmith. a person can build a custom Savage bolt action with a few tools in his workshop or garage. that is a distinct avantage over many of the others.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyB55 View Post
I prefer the 700. I've shot the Savage, and they are truly awesome, just prefer the tested 700 action.

Attachment 103162
my preference is the M700 as well, but would never toss rocks at a Savage for sure.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #43

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
Day dreaming of course,since I don't know your whereabouts,but I think/know a Savage will beat your Remington at 100 yds,my best 308 Savage prints a three round at .354 clover a that range,with Harris bipods on the bench,I'd bet you rifles if we could meet at a shoot out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWhogjL_HrA
LOL you can think all you want. Your shooting groups twice the size as mine at 100. Though I only use that for Chronographing my loads.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #44

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I could make a good criticism of any of them.

Savage needs to clean up their rifling, and they need to understand that some of us like 24 and 26" tubes on standard rifles. And making a stock that does not feel like recycled Tonka toys would be a big plus.

Remington has to improve QC we are not asking for future era stuff just build them like you did in the 60s-70s for crying out loud, oh and bring back the 788 and 600 while you are at it

Tikka needs a nicer wood stock that bland 2x4 cutout does not make the grade, borrow some ideas from Winchester's Featherweight, oh and a LOP shorter then 14" would be REALLY FRACKING NICE!

Browning needs to quit supergluing their barrels on and stop using extruded metal for their actions, even Savage uses machined bar stock, and a decent trigger is not too much to ask.

Winchester needs to smooth up their chambers they scar the hell out of my brass.

Weatherby needs to learn the meaning of the word "ergonomics" those rifles of theirs feel WAY too bulky/blocky.

Ruger needs their bolt gun team to re-design the rest of their product line, whatever those guys are doing that company needs alot more of it.

Marlin needs a time machine so they can figure out how they built 336s years ago because apparently they forgot. And while copying the Savage 110 is a proven way to make a good budget gun you don't have to make it look like the 110 for crying out loud.

T/C All these guys need is some style, I cannot find a single complaint with their rifles other then to say they are kinna bland looking.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #45

Apex, good post and well said! i can agree with most of that!

nothing is going to ever be perfect in most mass produced rifles. my gosh, the things i would change if i was in charge of all of them! it could fill volumes! but buy what suits you and make it yours is my motto. when a person finds a rifle they like and makes it their own, that's the rifle they will shoot the best. and it doesn't make any difference the brand name on the side of it either.

want a truly perfect rifle? then have a custom rifle made by a premier gunsmith to your specs, exactly the way your want, but be forewarned, such a rifle will be very expensive and take several months to build.

again Apex, good post.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #46
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
want a truly perfect rifle? then have a custom rifle made by a premier gunsmith to your specs, exactly the way your want, but be forewarned, such a rifle will be very expensive and take several months to build.
Yeah,The next hunting rifle that I buy will be a Cooper. They make a working piece of art!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Yeah,The next hunting rifle that I buy will be a Cooper. They make a working piece of art!
i have only seen pictures of them in magazines and such and i am sure they look much nicer in person, but they are one truly nice looking rifle. i like to just shoot one!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #48

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Couple of months? Last one I had built took 9 months to build. A good smith takes his time and if he builds custom guns more than likely has has a back log.

For the price of many factory rifles today you are getting a high quality rifle that will last for years and while many don't look good they function great. Every manufacture has some draw backs and pluses as well. Find the one that you like fits your budget and buy it and don't listen to all the keyboard commandos.

I have seen guys get budget rifles that were printing amazing groups. Sub 1/2" 200 yard groups. Then I have seen guys get $1000 rifles that couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #49

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

In the end it comes down to who is behind that rifle.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Couple of months? Last one I had built took 9 months to build. A good smith takes his time and if he builds custom guns more than likely has has a back log.

For the price of many factory rifles today you are getting a high quality rifle that will last for years and while many don't look good they function great. Every manufacture has some draw backs and pluses as well. Find the one that you like fits your budget and buy it and don't listen to all the keyboard commandos.

I have seen guys get budget rifles that were printing amazing groups. Sub 1/2" 200 yard groups. Then I have seen guys get $1000 rifles that couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.
just using that as an example. at least a few months and probably longer. would all depend on the gunsmith and his work load plus how quick he is able to get parts to build the rifle.