remington 700 vs browning bar stalker lightweight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 vs browning bar stalker lightweight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default remington 700 vs browning bar stalker lightweight

I have a Remington 700 lss in 300 win mag. It was only produced for a couple years in the lss 300 win mag so they are hard to find in that model if you can. It was appraised at up to 1000 dollars. I have been looking to sell or trade it for an ar15 for the wife but I had an offer that was interesting to me. It is for a Browning bar stalker lightweight in 7mm rem mag and 250 cash plus about 80 rounds. It also comes with a Simmons scope and the rifle is ceracoated in a brown. It looks good and it also has the boss system. What are your thoughts on this? Worth the trade or not? I get to keep a rifle and can start an ar15 build with the 250. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 754 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 352

If this BAR is a LongTrac and not a Safari, I would pass. The LongTrac/ShortTrac do not even come close to the Safari in quality and accuracy.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #3

Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It's a LongTrac - but still several steps ahead in quality and accuracy over a Remington.

Kind Regards, Salvo

bluez Likes This 
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #4

I was under the impression the shorttrac, longtrac and stalker lightweight were all different variants of this rifle. Correct me if I'm wrong. This would mean its neither shorttrac or longtrac, its a stalker lightweight.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Nothing against the Browning,but I wouldn't trade your Remington for it.
The LongTrac/ShortTrac is just the action length name,Stalker is the model

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=002B

Your Remington 700 will out shoot the Browning LongTrac all day long,and I've never been a big fan of their BOSS system on the barrel.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

They don't offer the BOSS system on the LongTrac or ShortTrac.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

From the factory the only model that is offered with the boss is the safari however I'd assume they can be added to any? I looked up the serial number and found the year it was made but is there any way to confirm what model it is? I also confirmed with the serial number it was a magnum caliber. But there's a few things confusing me, from what I have seen the stalker lightweight was only offered in 7mm rem mag for 2 years. And I have pulled up values for these rifle on Google books but it doesn't show a lightweight stalker in this caliber. How can I confirm the exact model?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

jmo I would hang on to the Remington 700 300 win. mag

Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

I would hang on to the Remington, not so much because I think it's a great, but at some point you thought it was a great rifle. You have already stated you can't replace it. I would just make a cash offer for the BAR. I own a BAR. Either you will love the BAR or you will hate it, there is no middle ground. I only use my BAR for deer hunting with dogs. For hunting from a stand or man drives I prefer a shotgun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Well I only bought the rifle from a buddy because I got it for a steal. And I was going to get rid of it to build an ar15 for the wife so originally that's what I wanted to trade for but I have talked to the guy and he will give me 350 on top of his rifle so that gets me started on an AR. Don't need anything special for the AR so it shouldn't be hard to find one for a decent price. The 300 win mag is more than I really need anyways.