Remington 700 sps varmint stock question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Remington 700 sps varmint stock question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

My SPS Varmint .22-250 wears the ugly puke green cheap stock. I filled the hollow buttstock with latex caulk, a couple inches at at time, letting it sit overnight each time. The forend was dremeled out and I contoured a 7" long 1/2" thick aluminum block to fit in the new void and epoxied it in.
Plenty of counterweight in the butt now, and the forend is plenty stiff to support the rifle on the bipod with no flex or barrel contact.
I also swapped to a Shilen 1.5# trigger. I can consistantly keep 3 shot groups at 1/4" but I always seem to blow a 5 shot. Very aggrevating.

forumrunner_20131130_223909.jpg

Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #12

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Here's a group from a guy on another forum. He has upgraded to a laminated wood stock on his SPS, but is using the factory trigger and not using tailored hand loads. He was shooting factory Federal Gold Medal Match .308. These Remington's are capable of amazing accuracy. Maybe the reason nearly all military and law enforcement snipers use them and have for over 50 years. Axe, I'm using IMR 4895 have also had IMR 4064 to use. There weren't others powders around here to choose from until recently. The powder shelves seem to be finally filling up again.
45k20e4s-group.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 12-01-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add info
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #13

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
not a problem. glad i could be of some help. i did one of my Marlin X7's with concrete epoxy. i bought the XS7VH in 308 with the 26" varmint barrel. i added quite a bit of weight to it as well. it weighs in at over 13.5 lbs. now. it's strictly a bench gun. too heavy for carrying around and hunting with!
Axxe you talk about those Marlins enough I am going to have to check one out.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Chloeshooter, the Marlin X7 series is a good solid platform. especially given their price. they have an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stocks, fluted and smooth bolts, excellent recoil pad and are priced decently.

they aren't perfect. the biggest flaws i have seen are the lack of calibers other than just the most commercially available ones and the fore ends of the stocks could be stiffer. the fore end is an easy fix. the lack of caliber choice is something i hope they decide to expand on. the X7 is a great platform and i'd like to see it come out in some new calibers, just for the variety.

i own three of them currently and wouldn't hesitate in buying another. the first one i bought was the XL7C in 25-06, with the factory camo dipped stock. great rifle in a great round. the next one, was a XS7 in 7mm-08. i wanted that one simply because i had wanted a rifle in that round for a long time and i was very pleased with my X7 in 25-06, and so far, that 7mm-08 has not disappointed in the least. it's probably my most shot rifle and soon in the future is going to get some upgrades. the third, the XS7VH in 308 i ordered right after Marling announced they were coming on the market. same rifle, just has the 26" heavy varmint barrel instead of the standard 22" sporter barrel. i had to wait about three months for it to arrive. pictures of it are above.

i highly recommend the Marlins, simply because they are a great rifle at a great price for the amount of features and their performance and accuracy. the really only thing budget about the Marlins, is the price. now make no mistake, they are not a Remington M700 CDL or BDL or a prized rifle like the older Winchester M70's, but they are a solid rifle that will last a person for very long time if taken care of. i am very pleased with all of mine.

if you get the opportunity to check one out, please do. they are worth taking a look at and trying out if you can. if you have the chance to shoot one, i think you will be pleasantly suprised with them and will give some thought about buying one of your own.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #15

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

He's a salesman for both Marlin and Boyd's didn't you know?
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
He's a salesman for both Marlin and Boyd's didn't you know?
and Remington, Ruger, Winchester, SA, Colt, Savage, Mossberg, Taurus, Bersa, Smith & Wesson, H & R, MetroArms, RIA, Bushmaster, RRA, Dan Wesson, Sig, Sako, CZ, ect., ect., ect.,,,,,,,,,,,

Edit: Stag, DPMS, Barrett, Weatherby, Hornady, Speer, Seirra, IMR, CCI, Nikon, Bushnell, well, i could go on and on and on....................

Last edited by Axxe55; 12-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #17

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
That's because he's just cheap!!!!
Axxe,has a nice 308,I've seen it,and the Marlin is a fantastic rifle for the price.

As with most "Entry"grade rifles,you don't get a quality stock,but with a little work and imagination they can be worlds better than they came from the factory.
I don't have a centerfire rifle in the safe with a factory stock.I change them all out for good aftermarket products.
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
That's because he's just cheap!!!!
Axxe,has a nice 308,I've seen it,and the Marlin is a fantastic rifle for the price.

As with most "Entry"grade rifles,you don't get a quality stock,but with a little work and imagination they can be worlds better than they came from the factory.
I don't have a centerfire rifle in the safe with a factory stock.I change them all out for good aftermarket products.
Cheap? i'm not cheap. i'm frugal!

i also highly recommend the Savage rifles and the Axis is pretty good rifle at a good price as well. personally the ergonomics are a bit off to me on the Axis, and much better with the X7's.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #19

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
and Remington, Ruger, Winchester, SA, Colt, Savage, Mossberg, Taurus, Bersa, Smith & Wesson, H & R, MetroArms, RIA, Bushmaster, RRA, Dan Wesson, Sig, Sako, CZ, ect., ect., ect.,,,,,,,,,,,
Funny! That's okay, you should check out the AR15 forum, there are at least 3 Palmetto State Armory sales reps on every thread.

I'm a bit of a schill for Ruger handguns and old Remington rifles myself. At the end of the day, when we find something that works for us most nice guys like to share the experience
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Funny! That's okay, you should check out the AR15 forum, there are at least 3 Palmetto State Armory sales reps on every thread.

I'm a bit of a schill for Ruger handguns and old Remington rifles myself. At the end of the day, when we find something that works for us most nice guys like to share the experience
i simply pass on my experiances with the products i own, have owned or have had dealings with.

myself, i have been a buyer and proponent of the Remington M700's for a few decades now. have owned quite a few in many calibers over the years. still own several and still enjoy the M700's and will more than likely even own a few more before i pass away.

IMO, Remington dropped the ball bigtime with the M710 and the M770, then picked it up with the M783. i handled but have not shot the 783, but i was very much impressed with it's improvements over the 770. and i saw your range reports with yours. the 783 is what they should have done in place of the 770 to begin with, if they were wanting some of the entry level hunting rifle market. the 770 was a huge disappointment when compared to the likes of the Savage Axis, the Marlin X7's and the Mossberg ATR100 series of rifles. and then Ruger brought out the American. Remington may have redeemed themselves with the 783.

in closing, the Marlin X7's deserve looking at and shot if you have the opportunity to. i was impressed with the first one i bought and continued to be impressed with the next two of them i bought. i wouldn'thesitate to buy another and hopefully my next one will be the stainless steel XS7 in 243.