Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 700 sps varmint stock question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-sps-varmint-stock-question-100995/)

magnumman 12-01-2013 12:09 AM

Remington 700 sps varmint stock question

I put a down payment on a 700 sps varmint in 243. I am aware of the stock issues with these guns. My question is this. Has any one made one of these stocks work well for them? Maybe by glass bedding and or doing some sanding on the stock to free float the barrel. Please refrain from telling me to buy an aftermarket stock. I know they are better than what comes on the rifle, but my budget does not allow for me to spend that much cash right now. I am planing on using the rifle for informal target shooting at what I consider to be long range... Maybe 500-600 yards max.

elfmdl 12-01-2013 12:18 AM

I have an AAC-SD and I still have the factory stock on it and haven't done anything to it. I have shot .70 Moa groups at 100 yards, and accurately shot out to 500 so far, so I don't see a reason to change it

Axxe55 12-01-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1445531)
I put a down payment on a 700 sps varmint in 243. I am aware of the stock issues with these guns. My question is this. Has any one made one of these stocks work well for them? Maybe by glass bedding and or doing some sanding on the stock to free float the barrel. Please refrain from telling me to buy an aftermarket stock. I know they are better than what comes on the rifle, but my budget does not allow for me to spend that much cash right now. I am planing on using the rifle for informal target shooting at what I consider to be long range... Maybe 500-600 yards max.

yes they can be fixed to some degree better than they are in stock form.

stiffen the fore end to eliminate flex and glass bed the stock and clearance the barrel channel.

i would also fill the hollow buttstock and add a little weight to it.

have you priced the Boyd's laminated stocks? they are actually prette decently priced and i have used two of them so far with great results.

here's a link for you to browse and get some ideas and prices if you want to.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18754&cat=1215

magnumman 12-01-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55

yes they can be fixed to some degree better than they are in stock form.

stiffen the fore end to eliminate flex and glass bed the stock and clearance the barrel channel.

i would also fill the hollow buttstock and add a little weight to it.

have you priced the Boyd's laminated stocks? they are actually prette decently priced and i have used two of them so far with great results.

here's a link for you to browse and get some ideas and prices if you want to.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18754&cat=1215

That Seems like a fair price. For now, I think I will work with what I have. What would you use to fill the stock?

magnumman 12-01-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfmdl
I have an AAC-SD and I still have the factory stock on it and haven't done anything to it. I have shot .70 Moa groups at 100 yards, and accurately shot out to 500 so far, so I don't see a reason to change it

Thats what I am hoping to hear more of. I am an average shooter on a good day so .7 Moa would make me happy

Axxe55 12-01-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1445557)
That Seems like a fair price. For now, I think I will work with what I have. What would you use to fill the stock?

several different products come to mind. JB Weld for one. Devcon. concrete epoxy is one i used on a couple of synthetic stocks.

i would epoxy a steel rod or some all thread in the fore end barrel channel to stiffen it. then fill it with an epoxy, then glass bed and free float the barrel.

magnumman 12-01-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55

several different products come to mind. JB Weld for one. Devcon. concrete epoxy is one i used on a couple of synthetic stocks.

i would epoxy a steel rod or some all thread in the fore end barrel channel to stiffen it. then fill it with an epoxy, then glass bed and free float the barrel.

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Axxe55 12-01-2013 12:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1445575)
That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

not a problem. glad i could be of some help.

i did one of my Marlin X7's with concrete epoxy. i bought the XS7VH in 308 with the 26" varmint barrel. i added quite a bit of weight to it as well. it weighs in at over 13.5 lbs. now. it's strictly a bench gun. too heavy for carrying around and hunting with!

sandog 12-01-2013 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The SPS varmint stock might not be that great, but it's still a Remington barreled action and a good shot with decent ammo can do wonders with it. This is one of the first loads shot after I got my Varmint in .308 afew weeks ago. 5 shots at 100 yards, hornady 168 gr. Match in Nosler brass.The flyer to the left is my fault. My factory trigger (X-Mark Pro) will only go down to 4 1/2 lbs, I would like 2 1/2 for a rifle like this. I will get an Timney trigger and an aftermarket stock for it if I can stop buying things for my Mini. I am looking at a H-S Precision Pro Series 2000, olive with black spiderweb. There are lots of stocks for short action Remingtons, many of them cheaper than the one I'm looking at, but not so many for my left hand, varmint weight barrel. So my selection is limited. Bedding your factory stock should help some, just find a load it likes and enjoy it.

Axxe55 12-01-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandog (Post 1445594)
The SPS varmint stock might not be that great, but it's still a Remington barreled action and a good shot with decent ammo can do wonders with it. This is one of the first loads shot after I got my Varmint in .308 afew weeks ago. 5 shots at 100 yards, hornady 168 gr. Match in Nosler brass.The flyer to the left is my fault. My factory trigger (X-Mark Pro) will only go down to 4 1/2 lbs, I would like 2 1/2 for a rifle like this. I will get an Timney trigger and an aftermarket stock for it if I can stop buying things for my Mini. I am looking at a H-S Precision Pro Series 2000, olive with black spiderweb. There are lots of stocks for short action Remingtons, many of them cheaper than the one I'm looking at, but not so many for my left hand, varmint weight barrel. So my selection is limited. Bedding your factory stock should help some, just find a load it likes and enjoy it.

Sandog, you were using IMR4895 for your 308 loads? i am mainly using the IMR4350 for mine. i use the 4895 for my 7mm R.M. loads.

that's a pretty dang good group!