remington 700 sps varmint? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 sps varmint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
That would be a feature to me.....

Reviews of this stock I have read imply there is a slight taper to the stock foreend and that looks like in the photo.

It of course would depend on the type shooting......I prefer no taper on the foreend. Once I get setup on the bag, when I move the gun it will be at the butt end. As I prepare to release the sear, I will apply some back pressure, and this will always move the gun to my shoulder, which means it will slide a little on the forward bag/rest. I prefer that slide movement not to move the muzzle up or down, just back. Once we have established a solid shooting position it is always more desirable to bring the gun into our shoulder, rather than have to move our shoulder in or out to push the foreend up or down to adjust sight alignment. The flatter and more in parallel the foreend is with the barrel, the more I prefer it.

Thanks for the tips! For now I'm using a bipod on the front so I meant the butt end sand bag, sorry I wasn't clear.

BTW- nice rifles in those pictures you posted. I like the camo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

I will be using it for oyte/deer hunting anywhere from 100-400 yards.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbson View Post
I will be using it for oyte/deer hunting anywhere from 100-400 yards.
Dabbson, the caliber will work fine as long as you use the proper ammo and remember shot placement. the only concern that really comes to mind about your choice is the varmint barrel. these will add about 1-1.5 lbs. to the rifle over the weight of a sporter style barrel. will really depend on your style of hunting. if doing a lot of walking, that rifle can weigh between 9.5-10.5 lbs. that's a lot of rifle to lug around all day walking. not trying to talk you out of it, just pointing out some of the realities of a varmint type rifle so you are aware of what you are wanting. personally, i like heavy barreled rifles, and have several, and the lightest weighs 9.5 lbs., and the heaviest weighs in at 13.5 lbs. so they are not light. the rifle you have chosen is a very good choice.
JRDallas Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Dabbson, the caliber will work fine as long as you use the proper ammo and remember shot placement. the only concern that really comes to mind about your choice is the varmint barrel. these will add about 1-1.5 lbs. to the rifle over the weight of a sporter style barrel. will really depend on your style of hunting. if doing a lot of walking, that rifle can weigh between 9.5-10.5 lbs. that's a lot of rifle to lug around all day walking. not trying to talk you out of it, just pointing out some of the realities of a varmint type rifle so you are aware of what you are wanting. personally, i like heavy barreled rifles, and have several, and the lightest weighs 9.5 lbs., and the heaviest weighs in at 13.5 lbs. so they are not light. the rifle you have chosen is a very good choice.
the reason i choose this rifle is because i wanted a good rifle for long range target/hunting. what type of ammo would i use?which scope? and anyone know when and how to hunt oytes?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
ang

Likes Given: 1

For future Remington 700 buyers, I would like to share. It a good accurate Gun but Heads Up!!!

Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Old 04-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #16

Liked 199 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I bought an SPS Varmint in .308 2 years ago. I mainly bought it for the barreled action as I knew the cheap stock would be replaced right away. As I am a lefty, I was limited as far as stock choices. I bought an H-S Precision Sendero within a couple months of getting the rifle. Even before I started upgrading things I was getting pretty good groups at 100 yards, 10 shots with almost all through one ragged hole. I was using Hornady 168 grain Match bullets with 42.5 grains of IMR-4895 in neck sized Nosler brass. The H-S stock has more mass and fills your hands better than the SPS stock and felt recoil is less. I had the same experience as others in that the X-Mark trigger, while crisp, did not really lighten up any when adjusting it. Mine was 6 lbs out of the box ( so much for the tag Remington put on the trigger guard saying 3 1/2 pounds from the factory) and adjusted as light as I could go it was 5 lbs. So out with the factory trigger, replaced by a Timney, it now pulls @ 2 lbs.
I mounted a Nikon M-308 4-16x scope, great scope for $500 or so. Side focus/parallax, comes with a killflash filter and BDC reticle. There is also the elevation turret calibrated for a .308 Match bullet @ 2650 fps. I used the excellent DNZ one piece base and ring set.
The 26" barrel was just too long so I cut it to 21" and recrowned it. It's been raining a lot lately, I got out once a few weeks ago and shot it with the shorter barrel, my loads are getting a little less than 100 fps short of what the long barrel got. One thing I have yet to do is get new bottom metal and a few detachable magazines, it is a pain to have to top load more than a few at a time. I'll probably get the H-S kit from Brownell's, the H-S magazines are pricey, but it'll drop right in to the H-S stock with no hassles.
I picked up a few boxes of Sierra 168 gr. Match and loaded some with 3 different powders to try, Varget, W748 and 4064. I had run out of 4895, but need to get more. Target is a 10 shot 400 yard group on a very windy March day in North Dakota. Last 2 pics are of the M700 now that the barrel is shorter.

ang Likes This 
Old 05-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #17

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

While looking up reviews on varmint rifles I came across the Rem. 700 quite abit. My LGS though had a Mossberg MVP onhand and had lots of good things to say about it ofcourse

After some hemming and hawing I decided to pick the mossy up and give it a go. It will be the first rifle ive owned chambered in .223.

After shooting some ARs in .223 I was really surprised on the recoil and noise of this thing. Kicked about twice of an AR and seemed about loud as a .308.

Overall I do really like it. Accurate as hell at 100 with garbage rounds and prob. the best thing about it, it takes AR mags.

Hope the Remington works out for what your using it for