remington 700 sps varmint? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 sps varmint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
That would be a feature to me.....

Reviews of this stock I have read imply there is a slight taper to the stock foreend and that looks like in the photo.

It of course would depend on the type shooting......I prefer no taper on the foreend. Once I get setup on the bag, when I move the gun it will be at the butt end. As I prepare to release the sear, I will apply some back pressure, and this will always move the gun to my shoulder, which means it will slide a little on the forward bag/rest. I prefer that slide movement not to move the muzzle up or down, just back. Once we have established a solid shooting position it is always more desirable to bring the gun into our shoulder, rather than have to move our shoulder in or out to push the foreend up or down to adjust sight alignment. The flatter and more in parallel the foreend is with the barrel, the more I prefer it.

Thanks for the tips! For now I'm using a bipod on the front so I meant the butt end sand bag, sorry I wasn't clear.

BTW- nice rifles in those pictures you posted. I like the camo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #12

I will be using it for oyte/deer hunting anywhere from 100-400 yards.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbson View Post
I will be using it for oyte/deer hunting anywhere from 100-400 yards.
Dabbson, the caliber will work fine as long as you use the proper ammo and remember shot placement. the only concern that really comes to mind about your choice is the varmint barrel. these will add about 1-1.5 lbs. to the rifle over the weight of a sporter style barrel. will really depend on your style of hunting. if doing a lot of walking, that rifle can weigh between 9.5-10.5 lbs. that's a lot of rifle to lug around all day walking. not trying to talk you out of it, just pointing out some of the realities of a varmint type rifle so you are aware of what you are wanting. personally, i like heavy barreled rifles, and have several, and the lightest weighs 9.5 lbs., and the heaviest weighs in at 13.5 lbs. so they are not light. the rifle you have chosen is a very good choice.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Dabbson, the caliber will work fine as long as you use the proper ammo and remember shot placement. the only concern that really comes to mind about your choice is the varmint barrel. these will add about 1-1.5 lbs. to the rifle over the weight of a sporter style barrel. will really depend on your style of hunting. if doing a lot of walking, that rifle can weigh between 9.5-10.5 lbs. that's a lot of rifle to lug around all day walking. not trying to talk you out of it, just pointing out some of the realities of a varmint type rifle so you are aware of what you are wanting. personally, i like heavy barreled rifles, and have several, and the lightest weighs 9.5 lbs., and the heaviest weighs in at 13.5 lbs. so they are not light. the rifle you have chosen is a very good choice.
the reason i choose this rifle is because i wanted a good rifle for long range target/hunting. what type of ammo would i use?which scope? and anyone know when and how to hunt oytes?