remington 700 sps varmint?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 sps varmint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default remington 700 sps varmint?

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has this rifle?is it any good? im thinking about getting it in .308. any input would be great. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

The short answer to your question is "it's a good rifle". But your questions is pretty broad. Is it the best for the money, maybe. Is it the best for what you want it for, maybe. Are there other rifles better suited for you, maybe.

I have and am familiar with many SPS type Remington 308's. If you can share what you want to do with it, what you would like it for......that may help. The barreled action has been around for a long time in the same caliber and barrel contour. They usually are MOA, but some are barely that with small to medium weight bullets factory loads.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just got one a few months ago. It's my first rifle (besides a 10/22) and I'm just a lowly range ninja so take my comments for what they are worth.

Fit and finish on mine was very good and I'm a perfectionist about that stuff. It's a cheap polymer stock but looks good. I plan on replacing it with a Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint/Tactical adjustable stock because of the aluminum bedding block, free floating, and the adjustability.

I don't like the x-mark pro trigger. There's no take up and it breaks pretty crisp but it's too heavy for my liking and when I tried to adjust it lighter it didn't feel significantly different. Also when adjusted lighter the set screw sticks out more and rubs against the top of your finger. I'll be putting a Jewell trigger in when I can afford it.

It's also getting a Badger or some other oversized bolt knob. I don't have allot to compare to, but I'm sure it's not the smoothest action by any means so the tactical bolt knob should help.

It's got a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Nightforce 20MOA Steel Base and a Harris swivel bi-pod.

Been to the range 3 times so far and put about 100 rounds (mostly Federal Sierra Matchking 168gr) through it and I love it. I did the barrel "break-in" ritual figuring even if it is BS it couldn't hurt. Cleaned between each shot for the first ten and then between each 3 for the next 5 groups.

Here's my best group @ 100 yards off a bench with the bipod and rear sandbag. It averages around 1 MOA but I don't know if that's just me not doing my part every time or the non-free floated barrel. I'm hoping with the new stock and trigger the groups will be more consistently like this.

Picture of the stock I want-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 06-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbson View Post
Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has this rifle?is it any good? im thinking about getting it in .308. any input would be great. thanks
i have a couple of SPS M700's in different calibers, and they are not the varmint models, but are very accurate performers.

i have to agree with EagleSix on his suggestions on it's a good platform, but there could be better suited rifles for your intended purposes. one thing i do like about the M700 platform is the aftermarket support in parts and accessories.

Zeusecho, congrats on the shooting! very nice group. the Pro-X Mark trigger is good for about 3-5 lbs as i have one on one of my M700's. i think you are on the right track with going to an aftermarket trigger if you want a lesser pull weight and to keep it safe for shooting. another suggestion i would like to make for you is to check out the H-S Precision stocks for yours. i have used the Bell & Carlson's in the past, in the more traditional style, and was very pleased with them. i suggest the H-S because they are the one i am going to use on one of my M700's. i had a chance to check them out in person and was to say in the least, impressed with it. the bolt will smooth out with time for sure, or take it to a gunsmith and have him polish it for you. i have some much older M700's with many rounds through them and the bolts are very smooth. the advantage of the oversize bolt handle is more for use when using gloves than leverage. also from another view, easier to find when shooting without removing your eye from the scope and cycling the bolt. i think that you are on the right path with your rifle and good luck with it.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Zeusecho, congrats on the shooting! very nice group. the Pro-X Mark trigger is good for about 3-5 lbs as i have one on one of my M700's. i think you are on the right track with going to an aftermarket trigger if you want a lesser pull weight and to keep it safe for shooting. another suggestion i would like to make for you is to check out the H-S Precision stocks for yours. i have used the Bell & Carlson's in the past, in the more traditional style, and was very pleased with them. i suggest the H-S because they are the one i am going to use on one of my M700's. i had a chance to check them out in person and was to say in the least, impressed with it. the bolt will smooth out with time for sure, or take it to a gunsmith and have him polish it for you. i have some much older M700's with many rounds through them and the bolts are very smooth. the advantage of the oversize bolt handle is more for use when using gloves than leverage. also from another view, easier to find when shooting without removing your eye from the scope and cycling the bolt. i think that you are on the right path with your rifle and good luck with it.
Hey axxe thanks for the suggestions! I really like the H-S PST007 stock but it's >$200 more than the B&C. The B&C has great reviews on Midway and I don't see the H-S PST007 available there. I wonder if the H-S is the worth the extra money over the B&C? That's the price of the Jewell trigger there. I've already got way more into this rifle than I expected but that's always the way it goes right?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Here are 2 photos of the H-S Precision stocks. This is the SPS which has been modified. It's not done, but this photo was taken when I needed to put the rifle back together as a student loaner for a rifle class. It has the same bedding block and pillars as the police model.

This is the original Remington 700 police H-S Precision stock. The aluminum bedding "drop in" block runs from just in front of the front sling swivel, to about 3" past the grip. It's a pretty rigid stock and the receiver bolts can be torqued to 60 inch pounds.

Here is a review of the 700 SPS Varmint. Don't let the 3 round groups of this review trick you. Factory rifles are a bet.....you bet you get a good one, but there are plenty of bad ones, and you may get one of those. On the other hand, a bad Remington shooter may be better than you need or expect to have.......that depends on your minimum standards. My standards are a bit higher than most of these M700 will shoot from the factory.

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

Last edited by EagleSix; 06-19-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add the link for the review!!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Hey axxe thanks for the suggestions! I really like the H-S PST007 stock but it's >$200 more than the B&C. The B&C has great reviews on Midway and I don't see the H-S PST007 available there. I wonder if the H-S is the worth the extra money over the B&C? That's the price of the Jewell trigger there. I've already got way more into this rifle than I expected but that's always the way it goes right?
The only direct experience I have with the B&C stocks with was one of my training team members Howa 308 rifle. I didn't particularly like the shape of the stock, but it was was rigid and worked well. His Howa was a .5 MOA bench gun and 1 MOA field gun. I've heard good things about the B&C, I might try one in the future. With the performance I have received from the H-S Precision stocks, it's hard to try something else!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Zeusecho, the B & C is definately a good stock, one of the reasons i suggested the H-S was the aluminum mounting plate and that they don't need anything other than just tightening the reciever to the stock and it's good to go. i wasn't aware that the B & C started using this. another good suggestion is the McMillan stocks and are also one i have given consideration to, simply because of their reputation as a very good stock and that they are used by the military and LE. just want to let you have some options and i don't think you will regret the B & C if you decide on it. i also think the Jewell trigger is a good choice. i have used the Timney's myself, but have heard nothing but good about Jewell's triggers.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
The only direct experience I have with the B&C stocks with was one of my training team members Howa 308 rifle. I didn't particularly like the shape of the stock, but it was was rigid and worked well. His Howa was a .5 MOA bench gun and 1 MOA field gun. I've heard good things about the B&C, I might try one in the future. With the performance I have received from the H-S Precision stocks, it's hard to try something else!

Thanks EagleSix. I usually end up regretting trying to save money but the reviews on this particlur B&C stock are good, at least on Midway. But like you say it's all matter of our individual expectations and mine, like yours, tend to be higher than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Zeusecho, the B & C is definately a good stock, one of the reasons i suggested the H-S was the aluminum mounting plate and that they don't need anything other than just tightening the reciever to the stock and it's good to go. i wasn't aware that the B & C started using this. another good suggestion is the McMillan stocks and are also one i have given consideration to, simply because of their reputation as a very good stock and that they are used by the military and LE. just want to let you have some options and i don't think you will regret the B & C if you decide on it. i also think the Jewell trigger is a good choice. i have used the Timney's myself, but have heard nothing but good about Jewell's triggers.
Yeah B&C claims full length aluminum block so on paper it looks good to me. One concern is the flat portion of the stock where the sand bag would rest. Since there's no pitch it seems like it would be difficult to use a sand bag effectively by sliding fore and aft for elevation adjustments.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 06-19-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
One concern is the flat portion of the stock where the sand bag would rest. Since there's no pitch it seems like it would be difficult to use a sand bag effectively by sliding fore and aft for elevation adjustments.

That would be a feature to me.....

Reviews of this stock I have read imply there is a slight taper to the stock foreend and that looks like in the photo.

It of course would depend on the type shooting......I prefer no taper on the foreend. Once I get setup on the bag, when I move the gun it will be at the butt end. As I prepare to release the sear, I will apply some back pressure, and this will always move the gun to my shoulder, which means it will slide a little on the forward bag/rest. I prefer that slide movement not to move the muzzle up or down, just back. Once we have established a solid shooting position it is always more desirable to bring the gun into our shoulder, rather than have to move our shoulder in or out to push the foreend up or down to adjust sight alignment. The flatter and more in parallel the foreend is with the barrel, the more I prefer it.