Remington 700 SPS-V 22-250 Rem. Stock Replacement
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 SPS-V 22-250 Rem. Stock Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700 SPS-V 22-250 Rem. Stock Replacement

I have not bought this rifle yet (but will have it soon) but from many reviews i have read- the factory stock is not very good if great accuracy is in mind. Apparantly, it has no bedding nor is the barrel free floated and is rather flimsy-as far as the subject of stocks go.

My 2-part question:

1) Is the factory stock worth action bedding and floating the barrel or am i better off getting an aftermarket stock that has an aluminum block?

2)If the later- is there any gunsmithing at all involved in the aftermarket stocks or are they a simple swap and done?

Thanks-i am trying to sort out all the info i have came across.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-for-Remington-s/57.htm

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

1. Factory SPS stocks are junk. Nothing other than tossing them in the trash will make them any better.

2. If you get a stock with an aluminum bedding block no bedding is required. If you get one like JP posted then you can have them bedded or you can bed then yourself.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

That is a nice looking stock. I am leaning toward a Bell & Carlson Medalist or the H-S Precision. I have heard both are good and i dont know where the $100 difference comes from but both have a full length aluminum bedding block and i hope they both allow the barrel to be free floated-the descriptions i have read do not specify.

A guy told me to have even those stocks action bedded anyway but i thought that was the whole purpose of the full length aluminum bedding block.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

The H-S is a better product than the B&C.
There are many choices of stocks for that rifle,it all depends on the style you want,and how deep your pockets are.

Check out Stocky's,they have a big selection of aftermarket stocks.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
That is a nice looking stock. I am leaning toward a Bell & Carlson Medalist or the H-S Precision. I have heard both are good and i dont know where the $100 difference comes from but both have a full length aluminum bedding block and i hope they both allow the barrel to be free floated-the descriptions i have read do not specify.

A guy told me to have even those stocks action bedded anyway but i thought that was the whole purpose of the full length aluminum bedding block.
both are good replacements for the stock SPS stock. the H-S Precision is probably a better choice than the Bell & Carlson. IMO, this is due to the full aluminum bedding channel in the H-S stock. simply mount the action and torque it down to spec. done. most of the better aftermarket stocks allow the barrel to be freefloated.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #7

H-S Precision are great stocks for every day guys who can't afford stocks like a McMillan or custom stocks.

Many police sniper rifles wear them. They hold up well and look good too.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
1. Factory SPS stocks are junk. Nothing other than tossing them in the trash will make them any better.

2. If you get a stock with an aluminum bedding block no bedding is required. If you get one like JP posted then you can have them bedded or you can bed then yourself.
GN07, I have not had to bed either rifle that I put a boyds on. Bedding would not help the accuracy as both are great shooters. Barrels are completely free floated as the barrel channel is pretty generous. They do however require some fitting. My '98 action took less then 5 minutes, the '96 action took about 1/2 hour. A dremel is your friend!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

For what it's worth, I replaced my factory stock with a Boyd's custom and am very happy with it. Just switched them and zeroed the rifle and good to go. You might also want to ditch the factory plastic trigger guard because it's a POS and eventually you'll crack it tightening the screws. Midway has steel replacement trigger guards for about $35.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
GN07, I have not had to bed either rifle that I put a boyds on. Bedding would not help the accuracy as both are great shooters. Barrels are completely free floated as the barrel channel is pretty generous. They do however require some fitting. My '98 action took less then 5 minutes, the '96 action took about 1/2 hour. A dremel is your friend!!!
why are you trying to always start a fight? I never said you had to bed them. I said you CAN bed them.