Remington 700 rings and mounts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 rings and mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700 rings and mounts

Hi,

I am new here and I recently got a Remington 700 ADL in .308, I have been doing some research on what rings/mounts i want to get and I've narrowed it down to either a talley 2-piece scope mounts for 36$(currently on sale).
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=129972

Or getting an egw mount and burris xtr rings, which would probably be around a 100$, I don't want to spend to much money though. However if the egw/burris rings are that much better ill get them. The scope is a 6x-24x-40mm bushnell banner, i will eventually upgrade to a bushnell elite, but that won't be for a few years. The gun would be used for prone target shooting.

Also, the rifle came with Leopold 2 piece base, that seems pretty secure, should i even bother replacing the mount or rings at all?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jsbvg5; 04-28-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I now have these on three or four of my rifles. I really like the fact that they're one-piece with fewer parts to shift. Plus the Talley people are really nice to work with.

Talley Lightweight One-Piece Alloy Scope Mounts

Some people will say that you have to have steel, but I've read just as many opinions in favor of alloy.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Is there anything wrong with the current rings/bases? If not, why replace them? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many people prefer the one piece bases for their rigidity, but it probably will not matter for 95% of the shooters.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

What is the reason for new rings\mounts? The mounts you have are fine - and I like the windage ability of them. I much prefer the look of two piece bases and enjoy the added chamber access they bring. I have recommended the Burris rings but in truth never used them. I put a little silicon on rings after lapping them and it accomplishes the same thing as the plastic inserts. I think it is actually better and easier. Save your money and apply the $35 or so towards your Elite. You will notice the scope improvement far more than any difference in rings.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjs1 View Post
I have recommended the Burris rings but in truth never used them. I put a little silicon on rings after lapping them and it accomplishes the same thing as the plastic inserts. I think it is actually better and easier.
If you have never used Burris Signature Zee rings,then how would you know what you are saying?
If you ever buy/use some,you'll probably never buy any other type/brand of scope rings.
I have several different types/brands of scope rings on my guns,but I have only bought/installed Burris Signature Zee rings on any gun since I first tried them out.
They are absolutely the best rings available,in my opinion.

Try some,and you'll change your mind.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjs1 View Post
I put a little silicon on rings after lapping them and it accomplishes the same thing as the plastic inserts. I think it is actually better and easier.
Please explain.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I prefer standard leupold one piece base and burris signature rings. Simple proven and it just works.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Ok here's the deal. The last four rifles (maybe more) where my help was requested I recommended, and in some cases bought, and installed them myself. I have gotten to use them. Great product or I wouldn't recommend them -they make everything easy. Best option for the majority of folks in my opinion -ok? My old school method has always been to lap the rings with lapping compound, use alignment bars to guarantee alignment, smear a little silcon on the rings and let sit a bit, place the scope and align eye relief, verify vertical, then tighten. My method accomplishes exactly what the rings are designed to do: insure proper alignment, protect against points of pressure, guard against slippage and scratches. The ring inserts do this much more easily than my old method. Why don't I own any? Because while they are great, they dont' create an automatic need for me to replace rock solid scope ring setups I feel good about working on -and I havn't bought anything for myself in a while. If\when I get another rifle and need a scope will I use the Burris? Very possibly, just depends on how much I feel like tinkering. I am an habitual tinkerer and yes it is a bad habit. Oh, why did I say I like my method better? Silly really and no basis in anything rational. The ring inserts TO ME often look just not perfectly even and it can seem odd seeing something off color between the scope and the ring. No bad comes of it, they still do there job extremely well it is just that I trim the excess silicon from mine and like the fact it looks neat, trim, and invisible. It in a nutshell.