remington 700 replacement safety info and install
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > remington 700 replacement safety info and install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default remington 700 replacement safety info and install

I was talking to a friend. He has an old remington 700, one that may have the so called 'faulty safety' the news ranted on for a few days. He said he wanted it replaced and asked me if I could do it. I could make a few dollars on the deal so I wanted to see what this involved.

I could only find a 'rifle basix' replacement safety, for models before 2006. And thats about it, except a three position safety, from midway usa, that involves drilling and taking steel off in a couple spots. Other than that I can find nothing on the subject. My googles didnt turn up much.

If someone could tell me, would the rifle basix safety do away with the problem or is it the exact same as factory? Id think the three position would, but I dont want to risk messing it up, without a ton of research.

Id really think there would be a lot more info on this topic than Im finding, being as it was on the news and caused a stir for a week or so.

If theres any other info you guys have Id greatly appreciate it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The reason you dont see much is because it was basically a giant lie put out by msnbc.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The reason you dont see much is because it was basically a giant lie put out by msnbc.
Ok that actually sounds probable, I dont really trust the news company to give anything accurate.

but Im wondering, is there a different safety to put on the rem 700, other than the factory, that would make him happy. Or is the three stage safety my only option?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My uncle almost shot my other uncle's head off with one and they for d@mn sure weren't being careless or unexperienced,the gun fired while they were sitting while hunting with nothing near the trigger,it was an emotional experience to say the least for them.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
I was talking to a friend. He has an old remington 700, one that may have the so called 'faulty safety' the news ranted on for a few days. He said he wanted it replaced and asked me if I could do it. I could make a few dollars on the deal so I wanted to see what this involved.

I could only find a 'rifle basix' replacement safety, for models before 2006. And thats about it, except a three position safety, from midway usa, that involves drilling and taking steel off in a couple spots. Other than that I can find nothing on the subject. My googles didnt turn up much.

If someone could tell me, would the rifle basix safety do away with the problem or is it the exact same as factory? Id think the three position would, but I dont want to risk messing it up, without a ton of research.

Id really think there would be a lot more info on this topic than Im finding, being as it was on the news and caused a stir for a week or so.

If theres any other info you guys have Id greatly appreciate it.
Unless you are going for a different type (like the 3 position) you normally do not just replace the factory safety. As a matter of fact with some aftermarket triggers you swap the trigger out and keep the factory safety. If he's really afraid of the gun I would just replace the whole trigger with a Timney or similar.

The issue of the "faulty safeties" has been discussed to death. Some folks (I being one of them) are convinced that the incidents cited by the media were all because of kitchen gunsmithing with the factory triggers. If you do research on the subject you'll find out that just about none of the handful of suits have stuck and they are still making the gun with a newer design trigger that is tougher for the owner to jack with...

Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Tell him the safety is just fine. Remember the exploding gas tanks on Chevy trucks? All a lie and done by the same people. If he is not happy with that answer, tell him to trade it in on a nice Savage or Winchester. He will not ever be happy with it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont think it has much to do with fear of accidental firing. Its a gun hes had for a long time, and from , I think, seeing that stuff on the news, has put this thought in his head.
He also said about getting a lighter trigger in it, so ill check that out also.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

did he buy it second hand?? a previous owner or a backroom gunsmith somewhere in the weapon's history "lightening" the trigger causes issue like that. its not just a remington problem. bubba'ing a sear is the cause of guns going off with no finger on the trigger.

most nd are caused by people who swear on a stack of bibles they didnt have a finger on the trigger. not saying he is lying. its just how the mind works.

a buddy of mine almost shot himself holstering his 1911 bullet left a red mark on his leg he swore up and down he didnt pull the trigger but i watched him do it. finger in the guard gun went in the holster finger hit the trigger. he still swears to this day he didnt pull the trigger. i still give him hell for it.

if he is that scared of it best to sell it and get a different gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have a rem 700 in 7mm mag,, i was fooling around with it,, (unloaded)
and if you have the finger on the trigger, just barley touching it, and take saftey off, it will fire, very scary, but i only put one shell in at a time, and only do it if im pointing down range

Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
i have a rem 700 in 7mm mag,, i was fooling around with it,, (unloaded)
and if you have the finger on the trigger, just barley touching it, and take saftey off, it will fire, very scary, but i only put one shell in at a time, and only do it if im pointing down range
Why would you ever do that?