Remington 700 mods? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
"Model 70 three position safety" ??? the Winchester?
Yes. Absolutely. There is a Model 70 Winchester style three position safety that is avilable and needs to be gunsmith installed. But, once it is installed, then just like the model 70, you can set it to the middle setting and remove your firing pin.

This is a very good feature to have in a field repair situation....

JD

Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
There is nothing unpopular about your rifle. It's just not a caliber thats commonly built into tactical, or long range target platforms. Any of the model 700 long action stocks will work with your action. The trigger is the same as on any other R700 as well. Barrel wise, you can get a .277 caliber barrel in a ton of different contours made from any reputable barrel manufacturer.

Combine all that with a little action work, and some good handloads, and you will have a very accurate rifle well capable of shooting 1000yds and beyond.

I would agree. The .270 is a very good shooting round. You can build one hell of a tactical style, long range shooter out of a .270 platform.

JD

Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The very 1st modfication I would suggest is a Sako style extractor. That's gunsmith installed only. (dillinger-how did you miss this?) After that is tuning of the action & trigger. Hand lapping the bolt/locking lugs/bore helps a lot. Like the previous poster stated glass/steel bedding helps. Sometimes the factory barrel "likes" upward pressure in the forend tip. Naturally a good trigger job is in order. If you're going to go full blown action blueprint have your gunsmith install a larger, stiffer recoil lug. Upgrading to a quality stock is expensive but worth it. It all depends on what you want to do with it & how much you want to spend. PM me with your needs & I'll recommend a package according to your needs/wants. I'm NOT trying to get business, just to recommend what you'll have done by your local gunsmith. The reason the .270 isn't popular is due to the lack of quality accurate ,low drag, target bullets in .277 diameter.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The very 1st modfication I would suggest is a Sako style extractor. That's gunsmith installed only. (dillinger-how did you miss this?)
MERDE!!!

Because I am a moron and was thinking about a custom 700 action that already had a Sako style extractor, like my own model, and not a true Remington factory action.

The extractor would be 1 or 2 on the list along with a drop in trigger....

Damn you 'Bear.....

Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I still don't understand why everyone is so down on the extractor. I know plenty of guys who shoot the 700 and none of the stock extractors have ever failed us not once. Again it is crap to get you to spend more money on junk you don't need.

Just like push feed vs controlled feed. WHO cares both work both work well.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I still don't understand why everyone is so down on the extractor. I know plenty of guys who shoot the 700 and none of the stock extractors have ever failed us not once. Again it is crap to get you to spend more money on junk you don't need.

Just like push feed vs controlled feed. WHO cares both work both work well.
Well said. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am actually planning on doing a tactical style .270 build with my Marlin MR7. Its definatly going to be more of headache do to the complete lack of aftermarket support though.

Ammunition wise, I will be loading 150gr Berger VLD's, and reccomend them to the OP for a start to a good match grade round.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I hadn't had to replace a BUNCH of extractors on 700s I'd be inclined to agree with you BUT that ain't the case. It's a classic example of piss poor engineering on Remington's part to have such a flimsy design on their flagship model. I could look back through my records to see exactly how many I've had to replace but know it's quite a few.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
If I hadn't had to replace a BUNCH of extractors on 700s I'd be inclined to agree with you BUT that ain't the case. It's a classic example of piss poor engineering on Remington's part to have such a flimsy design on their flagship model. I could look back through my records to see exactly how many I've had to replace but know it's quite a few.
Yeah. Same thing at the shop I spend time. We have done more than a couple, that is for sure.

Anything that thin, flimsy and cheap DOES NOT belong on a field gun of anykind. I don't care HOW many of them haven't failed....

Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I still don't understand why everyone is so down on the extractor...Just like push feed vs controlled feed...
I agree.

We seemed to do quite well with the M40a1.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #20

Stalking Bear is correct. One of the issues (and there is more than just one issue) with the factory Remington 700 receiver design is the extractor. A Sako style extractor, or a modified M16 style extractor fixes that issue permanently.

I know that both the US Army and the USMC have been fielding sniper rifles in 7.62x51mm NATO built on Reminton 700 receivers and have had few problems with extraction, but where it can become a major issue is when the rifle is chambered in a high pressure cartridge where the spent case may "stick" in the chamber. A more robust and more positive extractor is then needed to insure that when the bolt is cycled the spent case is extracted each and every time.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com