Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 700 mods? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-mods-15977/)

KAG 07-22-2009 01:42 AM

Remington 700 mods?

What are y'all changing on your stock 700s? Whats good, not good, not worth the $, What has a night-and-day difference?

Dillinger 07-22-2009 01:47 AM

Trigger, right off the bat. Remington's Factory Trigger is an embarassment.

Bottom metal.

Change to the Model 70 three position safety.

Glass bed the action in the stock ( if you don't plan on getting a custom stock )

Glass bed the action in a custom stock ( if you plan on getting a custom stock )

Consider an action blueprint or a sell off and purchase of another action if you are building a 1,000 yard gun or a Tactical Rifle.

For a hunting rifle you don't need these mods, but you asked. ;)

JD

Gojubrian 07-22-2009 03:52 AM

Wha?? The trigger on my 700bdl is very crisp!! it was made in 83' though.

mrm14 07-22-2009 04:48 AM

Jewell trigger set to 8 oz.
Badger Ordance Bottom Metal with 5 round detachable magazines
Krieger MTU Barrel 28" long
Muzzel break
PT&G bolt and firing pin assembly
"Blueprinted" reciever and bolt
McCanns Industiren +20 MOA picitinny scope mount
McMillan A-5 stock (bedded)
Harris bi-pods; short one for bench and standard one for prone
1" Decel pad

Being built for 1000 yard target shooting. NRA 'F' Class competition.

The next target rifle I will have built will have a billet reciever such as the ones made by Surgeon Rifles or Pierce Engineering.

753X0 07-22-2009 08:34 AM

Take the rifle to gunsmith and see if they can adjust it for you.
I wouldn't recommend adjusting it yourself. You could set it into a dangerous condition, where it could go off by bumping it, etc.
If they can get an acceptable trigger adjustment, great. If not buy an after market replacement Canjar is excellent but there are several such as Jewell.
Bed the action to the stock, Acraglas Gel works good. Try to use a bipod if possible, it helps hold the stock in place. Don't forget to add the flox, and use plenty of release agent. Even put some on the stock to catch any over flow.
Bed the rear of the recoil lug and the action behind it, but not so much that it wants to flow down into the mag well. also bed the area in front of the recoil lug opening, out to where the barrel stops tapering. Should be about 5-6"
Put a little along the sides and around the rear action bolt hole. Don't forget release agent, even on the parts of the stock that could get some overflow.
Set your barreled action into place, and keep an eye out for overflow. Don't put too much bedding behind the recoil lug, just enough to take up dead space and make a good surface between the action and the stock. If you put too much it will flow down into the mag well opening and make a mess.
Put grease all over the action bolts. Don't be in a big hurry, you have a lot of time to work with this stuff. This is a time were you can float the barrel easily, A sheet of paper cut into 3 strips and inserted between the end of the barrel channel and the barrel will float the barrel at the same time you're bedding it.
Look up into the underside of the gun, into the mag well and the action bolt holes and make sure you haven't made a mess, use a/some Q-tips to wipe up excess, apply pressure down against the action evenly to to squeeze out any more excess. Once you're sure you don't have a mess, put your trigger guard piece back on with grease applied anywhere you think bedding could touch it, remember grease is your friend here. Thread the action bolts back into place but don't tighten, just turn them til you can feel them start too, and back off slightly.
I isn't very difficult, but you can make a mess of it if you're not careful to use enough release agent.
If it turns out to be a good shooter and you want to keep it, then get some good bottom metal and 3 pos. safety
If it doesn't shoot well after that then have it recrowned.

cpttango30 07-22-2009 08:06 PM

Remingtons trigger is made to be adjusted by the owner. Just check it as you adjust it. Don't just take the screws to the lowest settings and call it good. Back them off then place it in teh stock and from 3 to 5 inches drop the butt on a solid surface (WHILE UNLOADED). If it fires readjust it. If it doesn't fire take it down a little more you do this till it fires then you work your way back up to the weight you like as long as it does not fire in a controlled drop. Once there your good to go.

I would then get a aftermarket firing pin and install it because they are better and don't have the stupid CA approved Jlock on them. I put a Callahan firing pin and shroud on mine and it made a big difference in the trigger pull and feel.

KAG 07-22-2009 09:27 PM

thats what is was hoping for!!!

What about the barrel I have hunted with this for almost a decade and would like a new barrel and recomedations?

KAG 07-22-2009 09:37 PM

"Model 70 three position safety" ??? the Winchester?

KAG 07-22-2009 10:35 PM

It looks like I am S O L, mine is a 270 and that appears to be unpopular. :(
GB.com here I go

tuckinauster 07-23-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAG (Post 132629)
It looks like I am S O L, mine is a 270 and that appears to be unpopular. :(
GB.com here I go

There is nothing unpopular about your rifle. It's just not a caliber thats commonly built into tactical, or long range target platforms. Any of the model 700 long action stocks will work with your action. The trigger is the same as on any other R700 as well. Barrel wise, you can get a .277 caliber barrel in a ton of different contours made from any reputable barrel manufacturer.

Combine all that with a little action work, and some good handloads, and you will have a very accurate rifle well capable of shooting 1000yds and beyond.