Remington 700 models
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mchoitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 77
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Remington 700 models

Does anyone know that the 3 letters mean or what they stand for? I've heard that it is related to the barrel and barrel quality, if so then which one is the best?

__________________
mchoitz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.

__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mchoitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 77
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.
Thanks, the second part is the answer I was looking for.
__________________
mchoitz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NotMormon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ogden,Utah
Posts: 408
Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber
For $549, it was probably an sps. Carbon fiber=big $. The barrel length was maybe 20"?

As a side note, I have a friend who was the first to make carbon fiber shafts for golf clubs about twenty five years ago. It was an easy, cheap process that found it's way out the door as it served no better purpose than graphite, which is even cheaper than carbon fiber. In short, carbon fiber is nothing but a rip off! I guess it can make your hunting rifle a tad more expensive though.
__________________

Last edited by NotMormon; 02-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.
NotMormon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mchoitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 77
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?

__________________
mchoitz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

I don't know. I was Looking for the new Remington 783 to check it out. Nobody had one. They said only the big box stores had them right now. I couldn't hardly find any rifles with a wooden stock. Most of the one were chambered for the 243. Im looking for a range gun that can be used to hunt elk next season.

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,357
Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5190

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoitz View Post
Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?
I don't know of any.

BTW, carbon fiber may not work well for golf club shafts, but it works very well for wings of supersonic fighters, for arrows, and for truly superb rifle stocks.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mchoitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 77
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

The heavy barrel is a necessity, so is it being chambered in .308. And the threaded barrel is also a plus. All of the other rifles similar to this that I have found are 1000$+

__________________
mchoitz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 481
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default

The only problem I saw with the heavy barrel 700 was it felt unbalanced in my hands which might be a problem carring it while hunting. But it didn't have a scope on it and that might of balanced it out along with some bulets in it. I always thought that all barrels were screwed into the barrel. Am I wrong?

__________________
Crazycastor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
9mm models for ccw Kdub Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 30 03-13-2013 11:48 PM
Yup, these are your role models... user4 Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 01-02-2010 05:21 PM
Everything you want to know about AR 15 models Florida AR-15 Discussion 14 11-29-2008 05:24 PM
1911 models dragunovsks 1911 Forum 2 05-08-2008 10:29 AM
different 700 models?? huckleberry General Rifle Discussion 5 12-30-2007 03:27 PM