Remington 700 models
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Remington 700 models

Does anyone know that the 3 letters mean or what they stand for? I've heard that it is related to the barrel and barrel quality, if so then which one is the best?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.
Thanks, the second part is the answer I was looking for.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber

Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber
For $549, it was probably an sps. Carbon fiber=big $. The barrel length was maybe 20"?

As a side note, I have a friend who was the first to make carbon fiber shafts for golf clubs about twenty five years ago. It was an easy, cheap process that found it's way out the door as it served no better purpose than graphite, which is even cheaper than carbon fiber. In short, carbon fiber is nothing but a rip off! I guess it can make your hunting rifle a tad more expensive though.

Last edited by NotMormon; 02-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

I don't know. I was Looking for the new Remington 783 to check it out. Nobody had one. They said only the big box stores had them right now. I couldn't hardly find any rifles with a wooden stock. Most of the one were chambered for the 243. Im looking for a range gun that can be used to hunt elk next season.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoitz View Post
Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?
I don't know of any.

BTW, carbon fiber may not work well for golf club shafts, but it works very well for wings of supersonic fighters, for arrows, and for truly superb rifle stocks.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The heavy barrel is a necessity, so is it being chambered in .308. And the threaded barrel is also a plus. All of the other rifles similar to this that I have found are 1000$+

Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #10

The only problem I saw with the heavy barrel 700 was it felt unbalanced in my hands which might be a problem carring it while hunting. But it didn't have a scope on it and that might of balanced it out along with some bulets in it. I always thought that all barrels were screwed into the barrel. Am I wrong?