Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 700 models (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-models-85001/)

mchoitz 02-24-2013 01:20 AM

Remington 700 models
 
Does anyone know that the 3 letters mean or what they stand for? I've heard that it is related to the barrel and barrel quality, if so then which one is the best?

gunnut07 02-24-2013 01:41 AM

What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.

mchoitz 02-24-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnut07
What three letters?

Remington had letter codes that would tell you the year of manufacture. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Or

There are ADL, BDL, and CDL's.

ADL was a low priced model that had a blind mag. The wood was of slightly lesser quality that BDL's. BLD's had a hinged floor plate that would allow you to dump the ammo quickly. The wood and finish was nicer than that of the ADL models. The CDL models had the nicest stocks, deep dark bluing that was normally a very high luster some had engraving on the receiver. They also had the hinged floor plate of the BDL models.

Today Remingtons SPS line is that of the ADL. They still have BDL's and CDL's.

Thanks, the second part is the answer I was looking for.

Crazycastor 02-24-2013 02:26 AM

Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber

NotMormon 02-24-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor (Post 1151157)
Went and checked out some rifles today. Saw a Remington 700 with a huge heavy barrel attached to it with a carbon fiber stock. They wanted $549.00 for it. I liked the heavy barrel that was on it. I think it was a police model. What I didn't like was the stock. It seemed cheap to me to be on a 700 model. Is that a good price and do all fiber stocks feel that way. Not sure if it was carbon fiber but it was the black stocks. I thought it would be a great target rifle. It was in 308 caliber

For $549, it was probably an sps. Carbon fiber=big $. The barrel length was maybe 20"?

As a side note, I have a friend who was the first to make carbon fiber shafts for golf clubs about twenty five years ago. It was an easy, cheap process that found it's way out the door as it served no better purpose than graphite, which is even cheaper than carbon fiber. In short, carbon fiber is nothing but a rip off! I guess it can make your hunting rifle a tad more expensive though.:rolleyes:

mchoitz 02-24-2013 02:40 PM

Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?

Crazycastor 02-24-2013 04:01 PM

I don't know. I was Looking for the new Remington 783 to check it out. Nobody had one. They said only the big box stores had them right now. I couldn't hardly find any rifles with a wooden stock. Most of the one were chambered for the 243. Im looking for a range gun that can be used to hunt elk next season.

locutus 02-24-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchoitz (Post 1151782)
Because I was thinking about getting the remington 700 sps aac-sd with the heavy barrel for around 700$, but are there better rifles for around the same price?

I don't know of any.

BTW, carbon fiber may not work well for golf club shafts, but it works very well for wings of supersonic fighters, for arrows, and for truly superb rifle stocks.

mchoitz 02-24-2013 04:59 PM

The heavy barrel is a necessity, so is it being chambered in .308. And the threaded barrel is also a plus. All of the other rifles similar to this that I have found are 1000$+

Crazycastor 02-24-2013 05:15 PM

The only problem I saw with the heavy barrel 700 was it felt unbalanced in my hands which might be a problem carring it while hunting. But it didn't have a scope on it and that might of balanced it out along with some bulets in it. I always thought that all barrels were screwed into the barrel. Am I wrong?


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.