Remington 700 with leupold base question. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 with leupold base question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
My X bolt with Leupold rings hits the target where I point it and it did the job on the deer I aimed it at in 2010. I don't know what else to expect.
Minute of game animal and minute of paper target are two different species.

I need to know for sure that my scope is parallel to the bore. I need to know that 2 clicks R windage are going a perfect 90° right.

Are you lapping the rings? Levelling the gun then the scope? Adding moa of elevation in base and rings?

Please don't take this as nitpicking your preferrence, but as I said hunting rifles and precision shooters are the difference.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

I need to know for sure that my scope is parallel to the bore. I need to know that 2 clicks R windage are going a perfect 90° right.

Are you lapping the rings? Levelling the gun then the scope? Adding moa of elevation in base and rings?

Please don't take this as nitpicking your preference, but as I said hunting rifles and prevision shooters are the difference.
Mine are all mounted the same way, eye balling it isn't good enough for me. I've see gun shops mounting scopes like this, ( pull it up to your shoulder look though and say , looks level to me) and get paid for this service..

Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

Please don't take this as nitpicking your preferrence, but as I said hunting rifles and prevision shooters are the difference.
Just leveling of the rifle and squaring of the scope. I have yet to encounter a need to add MOA elevation. I have kept my freezer full of venison for the past 10 or so years without shooting over 200 yards.

I have yet to get into "prevision" shooting! However I just joined a new club that has a 300 yard range, prior ranges I have used were 100 max.

I am not arguing against Burris products, I own Burris scopes and rings. Burris makes good stuff.

However, I am not going to rip the Leupold mounts off my rifles and throw them in the trash or sell them on Ebay just to buy new rings that won't do anything more for ME than the ones I have.

If the OP has Leupold rings on his rifle and wants to switch to another brand, then the OP can do that. But I don't see it as being a necessity because Leupold makes a great mounting system, but I agree one size does not fit all.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree. I use 1 PC bases whenever possible, level and lap them and make sure they won't shoot loose and have had more than acceptable results.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=willfully armed;693100]Barstock or a lapping bar will get you close.

I guarantee a scope in Leupold rings will not track as accurately as the same scope in Burris signature zee rings.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely no way that statement is true. There is not one precision shooter in the world that will mount a scope in rings with plastic in them. Scopes for precision shooting belong in solid machined steel or aluminum rings. I'm not a huge fan of Leupold STD bases but there is no chance of me mounting a scope in plastic ever.