Remington 700 bottom metal - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 bottom metal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Dont mind at all.
Remington 700 SPS long action/magnum bolt (new) $499.00
Krieger Barrel $285.00
Muzzel Break (including installation) $220.00
Oversize recoil lug $30.00
Reciever Tuning $175.00
Fitting action $270.00
Jewell Trigger $274.00
Pierce Engineering Fireing Pin $70.00
Badger Ordance Bottom metal with detachable magazine $345.00
McMillan A-5 Stock $498.00
Mcmillan intrergal cheke piece option $116.00
McMillan Spacer system $116.00
Decelerator pad $66.00
Bedding and pillers $290.00
+20MOA Pictinny scope mount FREEBIE
Warne tactical scope mounts (used) $50.00
Leupold MK IV 8.5-25X50MM LR/T Scope $1245.00

Total $4549.00
Sweet Baby Jesus Bro - that is an expensive stick you are creating there. Can I ask where you are having the work done?

As a way of saving you some cash, if you are interested:

Rifle Basix Triggers are very field durable and about half the price of the Jewell you are considering. Jewell makes a great trigger, but they are more for a bench rest sort of model than a field gun. If you are in love with them, no offense intended, just looking out for your bottom line.

Are you totally sold on the McMillan A5 System?

Because Bell & Carlson make an A5 version that is actually better in my mind, and those around the shop, for a lot less money. The adjustable cheek piece isn't a plastic saddle like on the McMillan, it's actually a molded part of the stock itself. Plus you aren't paying for the McMillan brand name upgrades ( like the spacer system & etc. )

Again, I mean no offense, just trying to save you a little cash if you are interested....

JD

Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #12

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus Bro - that is an expensive stick you are creating there. Can I ask where you are having the work done?

As a way of saving you some cash, if you are interested:

Rifle Basix Triggers are very field durable and about half the price of the Jewell you are considering. Jewell makes a great trigger, but they are more for a bench rest sort of model than a field gun. If you are in love with them, no offense intended, just looking out for your bottom line.

Are you totally sold on the McMillan A5 System?

Because Bell & Carlson make an A5 version that is actually better in my mind, and those around the shop, for a lot less money. The adjustable cheek piece isn't a plastic saddle like on the McMillan, it's actually a molded part of the stock itself. Plus you aren't paying for the McMillan brand name upgrades ( like the spacer system & etc. )

Again, I mean no offense, just trying to save you a little cash if you are interested....

JD
No offence taken. I appreciate the input.

No I'm not totally sold on the McMillan A5 system and I just looked at the Bell & Carlson and it looks good. Price really looks good! I wonder what their lead time to deliver is after order? The reason I choose the McMillan A5 is because I've had the oppertunity to shoot with these stocks, but I dont see much difference in the Bell & Carlson. I already have the Jewell in hand. So I'll try it out for awhile, and if I dont like it, I'll try out your suggestion of trigger. The gunsmith I've talked to and will probably use is J&G located in
Granit Bay, Ca. as their close to where I live. This shop comes highly reccomended from some of the 'F' Class shooters out here and he is a Remington shop. Also, maby Im too old fashioned, but, I like to look a man in the eye when I do business with him. I know their may be better shops in the mid west and back east but for using a stock reciever I dont think I would see much better from another shop. Anyhow, thanks for the info. Bell & Carlson is looking good.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-31-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There is nothing wrong with going and visiting your gunsmith, looking at his setup and getting to know him as a person and as your 'smith. That is what I did when I met my Master Smith and now I spend some time each week working with the guy.

I have a Bell & Carlson on a rifle I built for my grandfather, it's a great stock and my lead time was less than it took to build the rifle. Of course, that was two plus years ago before the Obamanation took over.

The stock was as good as advertised and it works great.

Give them a look and see what you think. They are a good company, with a good product, at a very reasonable price...

As for the receiver work, the 700 is a VERY easy receiver to work and machine on. It's the most common rifle build, so I am sure the guy you are working with will have no problems turning it into a tack driver for you. One suggestion though, have him do the Sako Extractor upgrade on it while he's in there. It's a TON more reliable than the Remington stock version....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-31-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
There is nothing wrong with going and visiting your gunsmith, looking at his setup and getting to know him as a person and as your 'smith. That is what I did when I met my Master Smith and now I spend some time each week working with the guy.

I have a Bell & Carlson on a rifle I built for my grandfather, it's a great stock and my lead time was less than it took to build the rifle. Of course, that was two plus years ago before the Obamanation took over.

The stock was as good as advertised and it works great.

Give them a look and see what you think. They are a good company, with a good product, at a very reasonable price...

As for the receiver work, the 700 is a VERY easy receiver to work and machine on. It's the most common rifle build, so I am sure the guy you are working with will have no problems turning it into a tack driver for you. One suggestion though, have him do the Sako Extractor upgrade on it while he's in there. It's a TON more reliable than the Remington stock version....

JD
One thing I noticed on the Bell & Carlson A5 stock that slightly differs from the McMillan is the butt hook. The Butt hook on the McMillan is considerably more exaurated then the Bell & Carlson. I like that as I can easily get a good grip here to manuver the gun around and pull the butt of the stock firmly into my shoulder before I sqeeze one off. This weekend I'll be at the range and the long range shooting club will be out practicing for their next competition. I have an open invite by them to hang out and check out their sticks. I'll bet some of them out there will have this Bell & Carlson stock and I'll try it out. If I like it I think thats the way I'll go with the stock. I,m not totally sold on the Sako extractor conversion. I've read some articles on pro's and con's of this conversion. I can see the merit of it If I was in Africa hunting dangerous trophy game when your life depended on that second shot, and, most the guides in Africa wont let you use anything smaller than .375 Holland & Holland when going after this game. In that case a person wouldnt usually be using a Remington 700 anyhow. However, I will look further into this Sako conversion. Once again thanks for the input.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Yes they do have 10 rounders. They actually use Accruacy International Chassis Systems (AICS) magazines. Most of the other brands of Remy 700 Detachable magazine bottom metal uses these magazines as well. They dont stick out as far from the bottom of the stock as say most AK,AR,Springfirld M1A or 'Ruger Mini 14,s. I got to shoot a 700 with a 10 round magazine in the prone position using a Harris bi-pod about a month ago at the range and ground clearance was not a problem. Plenty of clearance. I'm using the 5 rounders and they look like they will stick out maby 1-3/4" to 2" max. When I get this piece I'll measure it and let you know exact.
Recieved Badger Ordance Remington 700 bottom metal today and the 5 round magazine hangs below the forestock @ 2" and 3/4" from bottom of trigger guard.