Remington 700 Barreled receiver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remington 700 Barreled receiver

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Remington 700 Barreled receiver

Is there anywhere I can get one? I've been looking into putting together a nice looking 700 and buying a whole rifle just to replace the stock and scope (if it comes with one) seems kind of dumb. I want to get it in .308 and from what I understand that requires a short action. Is having the option of a detachable magazine dictated by which stock you get? Just some questions I'll probably have more as I do more research......

__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoovco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over the place
Posts: 665
Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner
Is there anywhere I can get one? I've been looking into putting together a nice looking 700 and buying a whole rifle just to replace the stock and scope (if it comes with one) seems kind of dumb. I want to get it in .308 and from what I understand that requires a short action. Is having the option of a detachable magazine dictated by which stock you get? Just some questions I'll probably have more as I do more research......
How much ya looking to spend? CDI Precision will inlet your stock for their drop mag conversion at a reasonable price.
__________________
"Inspirational Quote" - Someone Inspirational
hoovco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Well I do want a tactical style stock so I'm sure that it would accept a box magazine. Should have been more specific when I said nice looking lol. I was looking at the Choate ultimate sniper stock, have any experience with them?

__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Is there anywhere I can get one? I've been looking into putting together a nice looking 700 and buying a whole rifle just to replace the stock and scope (if it comes with one) seems kind of dumb. I want to get it in .308 and from what I understand that requires a short action. Is having the option of a detachable magazine dictated by which stock you get? Just some questions I'll probably have more as I do more research......
check out Brownell's. that's where i bought my LA M700 reciever from and had it shipped to my gun dealer. but check out the website as they get limited runs of them in various action lengths and materials. but they are brandnew Remington recievers with the bolt and trigger group.

for stocks, check out Mcmillan and H-S Precision as both have DBM options on their stocks. not cheap, but both are very good stocks. both have the bottom metal to make the rifle into a DBM type rifle.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
check out Brownell's. that's where i bought my LA M700 reciever from and had it shipped to my gun dealer. but check out the website as they get limited runs of them in various action lengths and materials. but they are brandnew Remington recievers with the bolt and trigger group.

for stocks, check out Mcmillan and H-S Precision as both have DBM options on their stocks. not cheap, but both are very good stocks. both have the bottom metal to make the rifle into a DBM type rifle.
Could I attach the barrel myself to the receiver? Guess that could be good because I could choose the barrel length...
__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Could I attach the barrel myself to the receiver? Guess that could be good because I could choose the barrel length...
yes and no! yes you could, if you get a barrel that's short chambered. you would then need a finishing reamer in the caliber you want to go with and a set of headspace gauges and the measuring equipment required to measure the chamber depth.

no, if you don't have this equipment or the skill set required to do it properly and safely. setting the headspace properly is a very critical step in makeing the rifle safe to use.

besides the cost of the barrel, you are looking at between $300-400 for the tools and equipment required to chamber the barrel.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Jpyle Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
yes and no! yes you could, if you get a barrel that's short chambered. you would then need a finishing reamer in the caliber you want to go with and a set of headspace gauges and the measuring equipment required to measure the chamber depth.

no, if you don't have this equipment or the skill set required to do it properly and safely. setting the headspace properly is a very critical step in makeing the rifle safe to use.

besides the cost of the barrel, you are looking at between $300-400 for the tools and equipment required to chamber the barrel.
Sounds like I need a barreled receiver
__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Sounds like I need a barreled receiver
quite possibly, yes. look around the gun stores and pawn shops for a used M700 in the caliber you want. then just order a stock and bottom metal in whatever suits you.

i paid $500 for a bare Remington reciever. now i do at some point plan on buying my own barrel and doing it myself. but i know what the cost will be or close to it to do my own, and it won't be the only barrel in that caliber for that reciever. so every time i replace the barrel, i will already have the tools needed to do it.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Yea I was thinking about doing that too, buying the receiver and barrel wouldn't end up being much less expensive than buying a whole new rifle, much less a used one.

__________________

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Yea I was thinking about doing that too, buying the receiver and barrel wouldn't end up being much less expensive than buying a whole new rifle, much less a used one.
if you were only wanting to do one rifle, then it would be much cheaper in the long run to either buy a bare reciever and send it to a barrel maker and have them make and chamber a barrel in the caliber of your choice and attach it for you. or buy a new or used rifle in the caliber you want and just restock it in the stock of your choice.

a brand new Remington SPS shouldn't cost more than about $650 NIB. then just buy the stock of your choice and do all the work yourself.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Remington wingmaster receiver wear? PlasticGunner General Shotgun Discussion 16 10-21-2012 10:38 PM
Heavy barreled ar? Spad2137 AR-15 Discussion 10 06-15-2012 06:01 PM
remington 1100 standard 20 ga receiver help Twpbaseball10 DIY Projects 1 07-26-2011 10:16 PM
Remington 1100 receiver part missing. Is it dangerous? Wabash General Shotgun Discussion 8 04-02-2009 11:34 PM
Barreled Receivers ScottG General Rifle Discussion 2 08-11-2008 01:28 PM