Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Remington 700 Barreled receiver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-700-barreled-receiver-86698/)

longunner 03-16-2013 09:28 PM

Remington 700 Barreled receiver

Is there anywhere I can get one? I've been looking into putting together a nice looking 700 and buying a whole rifle just to replace the stock and scope (if it comes with one) seems kind of dumb. I want to get it in .308 and from what I understand that requires a short action. Is having the option of a detachable magazine dictated by which stock you get? Just some questions I'll probably have more as I do more research......

hoovco 03-16-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner
Is there anywhere I can get one? I've been looking into putting together a nice looking 700 and buying a whole rifle just to replace the stock and scope (if it comes with one) seems kind of dumb. I want to get it in .308 and from what I understand that requires a short action. Is having the option of a detachable magazine dictated by which stock you get? Just some questions I'll probably have more as I do more research......

How much ya looking to spend? CDI Precision will inlet your stock for their drop mag conversion at a reasonable price.

longunner 03-16-2013 10:14 PM

Well I do want a tactical style stock so I'm sure that it would accept a box magazine. Should have been more specific when I said nice looking lol. I was looking at the Choate ultimate sniper stock, have any experience with them?

Axxe55 03-16-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1178266)

check out Brownell's. that's where i bought my LA M700 reciever from and had it shipped to my gun dealer. but check out the website as they get limited runs of them in various action lengths and materials. but they are brandnew Remington recievers with the bolt and trigger group.

for stocks, check out Mcmillan and H-S Precision as both have DBM options on their stocks. not cheap, but both are very good stocks. both have the bottom metal to make the rifle into a DBM type rifle.

longunner 03-16-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1178330)
check out Brownell's. that's where i bought my LA M700 reciever from and had it shipped to my gun dealer. but check out the website as they get limited runs of them in various action lengths and materials. but they are brandnew Remington recievers with the bolt and trigger group.

for stocks, check out Mcmillan and H-S Precision as both have DBM options on their stocks. not cheap, but both are very good stocks. both have the bottom metal to make the rifle into a DBM type rifle.

Could I attach the barrel myself to the receiver? Guess that could be good because I could choose the barrel length...

Axxe55 03-16-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1178348)
Could I attach the barrel myself to the receiver? Guess that could be good because I could choose the barrel length...

yes and no! yes you could, if you get a barrel that's short chambered. you would then need a finishing reamer in the caliber you want to go with and a set of headspace gauges and the measuring equipment required to measure the chamber depth.

no, if you don't have this equipment or the skill set required to do it properly and safely. setting the headspace properly is a very critical step in makeing the rifle safe to use.

besides the cost of the barrel, you are looking at between $300-400 for the tools and equipment required to chamber the barrel.

longunner 03-17-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1178386)
yes and no! yes you could, if you get a barrel that's short chambered. you would then need a finishing reamer in the caliber you want to go with and a set of headspace gauges and the measuring equipment required to measure the chamber depth.

no, if you don't have this equipment or the skill set required to do it properly and safely. setting the headspace properly is a very critical step in makeing the rifle safe to use.

besides the cost of the barrel, you are looking at between $300-400 for the tools and equipment required to chamber the barrel.

Sounds like I need a barreled receiver :eek::D

Axxe55 03-17-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1178434)
Sounds like I need a barreled receiver :eek::D

quite possibly, yes. look around the gun stores and pawn shops for a used M700 in the caliber you want. then just order a stock and bottom metal in whatever suits you.

i paid $500 for a bare Remington reciever. now i do at some point plan on buying my own barrel and doing it myself. but i know what the cost will be or close to it to do my own, and it won't be the only barrel in that caliber for that reciever. so every time i replace the barrel, i will already have the tools needed to do it.

longunner 03-17-2013 12:20 AM

Yea I was thinking about doing that too, buying the receiver and barrel wouldn't end up being much less expensive than buying a whole new rifle, much less a used one.

Axxe55 03-17-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1178452)
Yea I was thinking about doing that too, buying the receiver and barrel wouldn't end up being much less expensive than buying a whole new rifle, much less a used one.

if you were only wanting to do one rifle, then it would be much cheaper in the long run to either buy a bare reciever and send it to a barrel maker and have them make and chamber a barrel in the caliber of your choice and attach it for you. or buy a new or used rifle in the caliber you want and just restock it in the stock of your choice.

a brand new Remington SPS shouldn't cost more than about $650 NIB. then just buy the stock of your choice and do all the work yourself.